Planning on adding to my flock (Question)

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
I'm planning to get a baby cinnamon conure next year since there are no places to adopt from in my area and I've had negative experiences from people rehoming their birds online. I was wondering if you recommend I get one or two conures? I know they are social birds but I also know that it's not guaranteed that they will get along with each other. I have enough time for two and the funds, just wondering what others think based on personal experience. Thank you so much!! (I have a Congo African Grey right now but am leaving to go to school and my Grey is staying with my family since she's bonded to another family member).

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, hope all is well. I see you mentioned you are going to school. Does your school allow parrots? Are you going to be living in an apartment? More than likely if you have neighbors they will complain about the noise your parrots will make. Eventually the landlord will give you ultimatums after they get too many complaints. Depending on your neighbors of course.

OP
One_Bird_To_Rule_Them_All
Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
Hey, sorry for the late reply, hope your having a great weekend! Yes, the school I'm going to allows parrots in the apartments on campus so that is not an issue. As well, I know people who have a parrot/multiple birds and go to that school. They haven't had issues pertaining to neighbors complaining about the noise and the only advice they gave was to cover them with a black blanket/get blinds that don't let any light in (which I currently do) so they don't wake up right when the sun comes up.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I do have a sun & jenday conure. Both are very loud. I would describe them as snippy in comparison to a cockatiel. Both of my conures are very friendly, and easy to train. They require so much attention to get them that way. I handle them every single day because I donā€™t like to get bit, and because I know they live in huge flocks in the wild (they are very social). It wouldnā€™t be fair to them for me to not take them out on a regular basis. Both of my conures are extremely picky eaters. To this day I cannot get them to eat fresh food. They just scream at their bowls all day long if I attempt it. I did get them to eat pellets, and it took a very very long time to convert them. They still get seed but itā€™s not their primary diet. Always remember baby parrots, and matured parrots can be very different. My conures still snuggle, but in spring when they are hormonal I do get bit (I expect this, and try my best to avoid it). There is never a guarantee that 2 parrots will get along. Even if they get along at first personalities can change. There isnā€™t a way to predict this. If you do get a second parrot Iā€™d tell you to make sure itā€™s because you want 2. I myself wouldnā€™t get a parrot for another parrot.

I hope something in here helps!

OP
Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
Thank you so much for the reply <3, It helps a lot! When I first got my African grey she would not eat pellets, would only eat her fresh food and seed, after a while she ate pellets by gradually taking out the amount of seed but because the prior owners fed her seeds that's all she would eat! It was an adventure trying to convert her to only pellets lol so I get what you mean. As for the conure, I'm planning on getting a green cheeked conure because I know they are a bit quieter than suns and other conures but I do not expect them to not be vocal, I honestly love the noises Lexi (my african grey) makes all day long. Lexi has been around other parrots in her previous homes so she wouldn't mind the company of another bird or two, you're totally right though, you never know if they will get along. I'm not worried about that though cause I can always separate them in different rooms so they have space if they don't get along. Thank you again you've given me so much insight on conures, research is one thing but it's always nice to also get an answer from an owner who's had experience with conures.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I recently researched which parrots are the loudest and found the Nanday conure to be the loudest, according to one source, at 155db. They said that all conures can crack 130db, green cheek as well. Not sure if your neighbours will like it much living in close quarters

FeatheredCdn

Apr 22, 2024
Parrots
CAG and Sun Conure
I have just joined this forum hence why my response is so late. Cinnamon conures (green cheek mutation) are quite quiet but I would start with one personally to give it an opportunity to bond with you. Conures in general are wonderful pets and I am biased but cinnamon gc are amazing. We have a 16 yo sun conure and we can hear her down the street even when our windows/doors are closed. We are in a detached home so it does not pose an issue that an apartment would but sun conures rank as loud as a macaw so I would avoid this breed.

I am interested in your comment about negative experiences with people rehoming their parrots. Can you expand on that as I am looking to adopt a bird in need of rehoming and would appreciate what to look out for.

OP
Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
I have just joined this forum hence why my response is so late. Cinnamon conures (green cheek mutation) are quite quiet but I would start with one personally to give it an opportunity to bond with you. Conures in general are wonderful pets and I am biased but cinnamon gc are amazing. We have a 16 yo sun conure and we can hear her down the street even when our windows/doors are closed. We are in a detached home so it does not pose an issue that an apartment would but sun conures rank as loud as a macaw so I would avoid this breed.

I am interested in your comment about negative experiences with people rehoming their parrots. Can you expand on that as I am looking to adopt a bird in need of rehoming and would appreciate what to look out for.
Thanks for the reply, I think everyone has different experiences when it comes to adopting a bird in need of rehoming, just some people on places like Kijiji or Cragslist are not truthful of why they are rehoming their bird and some are just fully scams. Rehoming is a great thing though so take my experience with a grain of salt, the owners just were not truthful of what went on with the CAG I have and the other birds in the house. I'm very glad I found my CAG as she is the sweetest parrot ever.

As for what to look out for, I would definitely ask to see the bird first before picking it up, if they don't allow it then it could be a scam. As well I recommend calling them instead of email if possible to make sure they are legit and not a scam. Ask lots of questions about the diet, how the bird is with other animals in the house, etc. as if they do not have a lot of information they may buy others birds and rehome them to make a profit, very sad but is sometimes the case.

Most Reactions

Latest posts