How do you know you're ready for a parrot?

NimbusCloud

Nov 3, 2017
Hey everyone!

Iā€™m currently 16 years old and Iā€™ve been considering getting a parrot for about a year now Of course, I wouldnā€™t get the bird until I was older with a relatively stable life and income, but I figured it was worth considering now so I could have plenty of time to research the different kinds of parrots and their needs. The only problem is that Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d be a good bird parent?

I know that raising a bird is very different from raising a dog or cat, and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d be able to give a bird the kind of life he/she deserves. Of course, I intend to give him/her the best life I possibly can, but I donā€™t think anyone gets a parrot with anything less in mind. Intention is nice and all, but thatā€™s not always how things work out and with all the neglected and relinquished birds out there, Iā€™m scared that Iā€™ll just end up adding to that number, even with all this forethought.

Birds are like children. Theyā€™re loud, messy and destructive, but theyā€™re your child so you love them anyway. You donā€™t put a child up for adoption if they scream too much, have behavioral issues or destroy your furniture and you certainly donā€™t give them up because youā€™re having another child or you got a new job so why would you give up a bird? By getting one, youā€™ve committed to caring for a moody toddler with a pair of vice grip pliers for the rest of its days (or yours depending on the kind of bird) so itā€™s not a decision that should be taken lightly.

And so, Iā€™ve taken steps towards educating myself on the realities of parrot ownership beyond the cute little youtube videos and the internetā€™s readiness to proclaim parrots as wonderful and low maintenance pets ( the latter depends on the species of course). Iā€™ve read horror stories, listened to various screaming birds on full volume and I know that raising a parrot would take some lifestyle changes on my part, but Iā€™m still willing to take the plunge?

I donā€™t know if this means that I know what Iā€™m getting myself into or if Iā€™m just letting my love for them cloud my judgement. I hope itā€™s the former because I want to be able to love my future parrot for all that he/she is, flaws and all. I donā€™t want to be one of those people who resent their bird for being a parrot and I certainly donā€™t want my bird to resent me either.

I think I could live with the screaming so long as he/she doesnā€™t scream every waking moment of the day. I wouldnā€™t mind cleaning up after them either. And while, I wouldnā€™t be happy with destroyed furniture, I donā€™t think I would ever hold it against my bird. After all, theyā€™re still wild animals so it's bound to happen eventually. Biting isnā€™t much of an issue for me either considering dogs could send you to the ER too if they wanted. Once again I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just being naive or if Iā€™ve really accepted that this is what Iā€™ll have to deal with when it comes to my new perpetual toddler (I really do hope itā€™s the latter).

Anyway, to make a long post short, how do you know if youā€™ll be a good parront (yay for puns :) ) and how do you pick the right one for you?
Thanks if you managed to read all that ^^.

Sincerely,
A prospective future parront

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Well, there are two parts to this.

You can find yourself ready if:
-You are stable in your job. Your hours are at least somewhat predictable.
-You have your own place with a least a little distance from neighbors, depending on the species you choose.
-You have the space.
-If you are with someone, they are 100% on board with your parrot ownership.
-You have the time. This can vary. I like to say 4 hours a day minimum. Not just spare time, but spare time you can COMMIT to your bird.
-You have sat on the idea of getting a parrot for 6 months+
-You have been around parrots.

In terms of picking the right one.. in an ideal world, the right one can pick you. Going to a rescue, you can find an adult whose personality is already somewhat predictable. You could also go to a breeder, if that's your preference and get to know some of the birds.

It seems you are already taking the right first step in educating yourself!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
for people under that age of 18-24 I recommend not, getting a parrot yet,....however you seem to have taken a lot of the normal things we bring up into consideration.

One thing you have to realize is that many parrots can live 30+ years...some live to be much older. Do you know where you are going to be in ten years when your 26?

One thing I'd suggest, I assume you are still living at home....see if your parents want to adopt a bird. Then later on when your more settled you can adopt him/her from them. Then you get to play with him/her in the meantime.

As for type, I'm biased but a GCC is quiet, loving, a clown, and a talker.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
A very well laid out thoughtful post. Are you really only 16? :) You are clearly wise beyond your years. I believe you will make a wonderful parrot parent in the future. :heart:

Best of luck to you as you continue on this journey.

OP
N

NimbusCloud

Nov 3, 2017
for people under that age of 18-24 I recommend not, getting a parrot yet,....however you seem to have taken a lot of the normal things we bring up into consideration.

One thing you have to realize is that many parrots can live 30+ years...some live to be much older. Do you know where you are going to be in ten years when your 26?

One thing I'd suggest, I assume you are still living at home....see if your parents want to adopt a bird. Then later on when your more settled you can adopt him/her from them. Then you get to play with him/her in the meantime.

As for type, I'm biased but a GCC is quiet, loving, a clown, and a talker.

Yeah, that's why, if I do end up getting one, It'll be after college once I my life settles down.

OP
N

NimbusCloud

Nov 3, 2017
A very well laid out thoughtful post. Are you really only 16? :) You are clearly wise beyond your years. I believe you will make a wonderful parrot parent in the future. :heart:

Best of luck to you as you continue on this journey.

Yeah, I'm only 16, but I'll 17 in January. Thanks for the complement!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
well at least wait till you get home!!!!!!!!! and yeah think about it...what happens when you go off to europe next year.....or can't....because you own a bird.....

I'm not going to lie, birds are great, you know that, but....just wait, or.... look into the parents adopting.....

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
oh well then....keep up the research, hang out here and um...my work here is done?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I love your post! You are going to make an excellent parront when you decide the time is right:) I'm so happy you joined us!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
When you have the chance back home see if there's a parrot rescue near and see if you would volunteer. You'll meet lots of birds and it'll help give you some hands on time. You've got a great attitude so I think you'll be fine when you do get a bird.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Well it starts with having the love for them and researching a lot like you have.

From my experience my friend id say its like having a child. I researched and really wanted a Quaker Parrot and its more work than I thought for sure and I have changed my life for him but saying that, he has changed my life also.

My honest opinion to anyone wanting a Parrot is are you ready yet for a child but if your gonna have the time to give him/her or there is always going to be a family member home when your away willing to give him all the time and attention he needs when your away then go for it x

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello and welcome, I liked reading your very thought-out post. A lot has been said already....so I don't feel I need to add much. I will say that I was one of those kids really wanting my own bird at age 13. My parents allowed me to buy a baby Jenday Conure and he was my BABY!.....for 4 years. Then I was so busy with high school and swimming and spending time with my boyfriend that he sadly began to get ignored and I had to rehome him, as college approached and my parents are not animal people and I knew would not be willing to care for him. Though I loved him, I did not have what it took or had the hindsight to see that far into the future, and how much of a commitment these guys are.

Now at 28 I've been back in the bird game for a couple years now and the things I have learned on this forum.... I feel with my old bird I did things very wrong! He ate an all seed diet, but now I know that this is like junk-food for birds. Now I know that feeding fresh fruits and veggies is what they need. And the cage I had for him was too small!! He did not get treated the way I would treat him now. I did not do proper research and was unprepared for a life-long commitment. They aren't just decorations to admire in a corner....these guys need and want love and a family!

Good for you for reaching out and starting your adventure.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts