How do you politely ask someone to... well, go away?

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
To bend backwards to help somebody by feeling sorry for them is not always the best option for anybody involved.
He is not benefiting either, even if he thinks he is. He could be on his feet and going forward by now if you could start talking to him earlier.
Helping him to look for a place and encourage him to move on in his life is the way to go, IMO. His best friend should do it first, before you do.
Sounds like you are on the right track now, good luck!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hah, I've been on my own since 16 (26 now) and I've always been much more of an adult than most. I look at my friends who still live at home and am amazed that they can't manage themselves! Mommy still does laundry, Daddy pays your bills. KIDS THESE DAYS AMIRITE?

I look at my birds and think about my friends and say, thank god I don't have kids!

Hey, if you can get them to do it for you... :p

There is something to be said for living at home, and helping your kid(s) save money, and setting them up for success, rather than starting off deeply in debt, as so many do these days...

BUT

That doesn't include laundry, maid, food services... and waiting on them hand and foot.

That's how 40 year olds who still live in their parent's basement are made...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
There are legit times when you are down on your luck, and you do need to give someone a helping hand, or they're in serious danger of homelessness, even at a professional level...

I went through that myself about five years ago, when I moved from Cali to Texas. And if my sister didn't take me in for a few months, my daughter and I would have been seriously in danger of living in the shelter...

These days it happens. BUT you expect adults to be doing everything in their power to do their part to get back on their feet, AND to help out since you're doing them a favor, and essentially saving their butt...

That's not an unreasonable expectation AT ALL!!! In fact, it kinda seems like the least they could do.

I cleaned house, and cooked dinners, and did what ever chores I could around the house, when it was me.

That's called "basic consideration for others."

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts