How I keep my Snuggle Huts Clean

luvdembrds

Oct 29, 2016
Media
Southern Indiana
Parrots
Green Quaker female
Cockatiel female
Purchased a snuggle hut years ago for my quaker but it didn't last long as it had to be washed so often. I decided to make my own and include in the plans some removable poop pads for easy cleaning. If you have one still in good shape that has the fuzzy linning you only need make the pads with a strip of velcro (the strip with the hooks, of course) sewn down the center length of the pad. CAUTION, if your bird tends to chew up his Snuggle Hut bed you must do your research on choice of fabrics to use as some can cause harm to your bird.
Have never had that problem myself so am confident in the materials I use. Mine are about medium size 4" x 7 1/2" floor with 6 1/2" tall x 7 1/2" long sides. I make a lot of appliqued baby quilts for family using double faced quilted fabric and have lots of scraps left over for other items like the snuggle huts. I use an old tuperware lid large enough to cut a rectangular piece to insert into the floor of the hut before adding trim to it and it works well as floor support. I change the pads every other day and on days not changed I just scrape out the dried poop before the birds go up at night. I have added pics here that are mostly self explained. For the pale green hut with the multi colored trim I forgot to sewn in the velcro on the hut before the hut was finished so I added it along the open ends for both the hut and its pads. Dried poop crumbles easily from the pads before washing. If anyone needs a pattern with more details just let me know and I'll post one. Keeping birdie's cage and accessories clean can be a constant job and this really makes it so much easier. Hope this idea helps you too.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4471.jpg
    IMG_4471.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 194

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
And of course, inspect often for loose threads that can trap a limb or your birds neck, and trim them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts