How independent are tiels?

GailC

Oct 5, 2017
I'm interested in a tiel and am wondering if they are fairly independent? I'd really like a bird that had some ability to entertain itself and not constantly be attached to me.

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
Each bird has its own personality. Cockatiels are socialable creatures, if you only have one , he or she will probably want to be around you a lot. Giving him or her a friend will allow them to entertain each other more often.

I got lucky with my cockatiel, she is fairly independent for a tiel. She doesn't mind preening on her playstand, playing there , foraging for food really keeps her occupied as well. However, if she sees me close by with an iPad, which is her favourite toy , she will fly on my iPad and pretend she is browsing the internet or chew on the corners. She also flies to my head if I leave the room 80 percent of the time. She rarely does this for my boyfriend. However, she flies to him sometimes to see what he's up to. She also does the same with me. So when she is out of the cage 50 percent of the time she's independent, 50 percent she's doing her own thing. I think it is because she is a very playful bird , that she is fairly independent.
I've read some tiels that cry to be attached to their owners at all times, some wild ones that are scared of people.. they come in all personalities and their past does play some part in how they act. Birds that are introduced to toys at a young age tend to be more playful.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Each bird has its own personality. Cockatiels are socialable creatures, if you only have one , he or she will probably want to be around you a lot. Giving him or her a friend will allow them to entertain each other more often.

I got lucky with my cockatiel, she is fairly independent for a tiel. She doesn't mind preening on her playstand, playing there , foraging for food really keeps her occupied as well. However, if she sees me close by with an iPad, which is her favourite toy , she will fly on my iPad and pretend she is browsing the internet or chew on the corners. She also flies to my head if I leave the room 80 percent of the time. She rarely does this for my boyfriend. However, she flies to him sometimes to see what he's up to. She also does the same with me. So when she is out of the cage 50 percent of the time she's independent, 50 percent she's doing her own thing. I think it is because she is a very playful bird , that she is fairly independent.
I've read some tiels that cry to be attached to their owners at all times, some wild ones that are scared of people.. they come in all personalities and their past does play some part in how they act. Birds that are introduced to toys at a young age tend to be more playful.

I agree! My little BB want's to be ON me a lot..There is no doubt he loves his poppy :54: However...he can hang in his house all day and bang his toy's,yell at them,and whistle/sing his little heart out too.
He is an amazing little guy.

Jim

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
It depends on the bird as an individual, although you can set a schedule and the bird might adjust to it.
Birds love to chew things, so having plenty of wooden things in a cage or playstand will help keep the bird occupied.
Elvis loves to spend time with me, when he has a choice of me or the rest of the flock, it's normally me.
But my female budgie and lovebird are quite independent compared to Elvis. The two females love to spend time with each other running around on the floor, flying back and forth between cages.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Cockatiels are amazing little birds! Like said before, each bird is different. My cockatiel is quite needy, meaning he flies to me if I leave the room and calls for me when he’s left alone, but he’s gotten better in terms of entertaining himself outside the cage. Sometimes he flies laps around the room, sometimes he plays with toys on his play stand, but a lot of the time is spent with him on me, and getting scratches.

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
Each bird is different. Teils are generally pretty social but can entertain themselves well enough if need be. Bonded tiels I have seen can be clingy but are often content just sitting on you. But I reiterate, every bird is different. My African grey is clingy to the extreme! If I am home she is with me 80% of the time and will come find me if I leave the room for more than five minutes. African greys are generally thought of as fairly independent.

TLDR: Birds are individuals, just because a breed has a general trait it doesn't mean your bird will share that trait.

OP
GailC

GailC

Oct 5, 2017
Thanks everyone. I realise each bird is different, just looking for species generalization. Sounds like a tiel might be a bit more needy than I'm wanting. Its something I'll really have to think about.
I just don't want a screaming, moody bird if I can't be with it all the time.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Perhaps look into bourke parakeets.

My first tiel was very clingy and needy at first, but she's mellowed through the years. She still demands attention, but not quite as much. The ones since then (all second hand, plus, birds) have not been needy like her at all, although one, when separated from the rest, did enjoy attention as well.

OP
GailC

GailC

Oct 5, 2017
The bourke are very cute, thanks for the suggestion. They don't seem very interactive though. Is there any species between a tiel and bourke?

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
My local pet store recently got a Bourke’s parakeet that is very interactive. Although she’s not “cuddly” meaning she doesn’t snuggle up to your chest, she is perfectly content just hanging out on your shoulder or getting head scratches.

OP
GailC

GailC

Oct 5, 2017
I'll have to see if out local bird store ever gets bourkes so I can spend some time around them. Not looking for a cuddly bird but would like one who could learn simple things like whistling songs and target training.
Not a lot of videos on bourkes that show them actually doing anything besides sitting quietly.
I'll keep researching, thanks.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Any bird, big or small, can be taught tricks on cue. Talking and whistling are a whole different story, they cannot be ‘taught’ like you would teach tricks and some birds never learn a single word or tune. Cockatiels are known to be great whistlers, yet mine is 2 years old and has never whistled.

Most Reactions

Latest posts