How long for my scarlet macaw to be himself again after traumatic visit to the vet yesterday afternoon?

Alex999

May 22, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet macaw. Acquired in 2011. 13-15 years old.
He had to have removed a metal identification band that had penetrated underneath his skin and caused an infection. Wow what a hellacious trip that was! He screamed and yelled like I never heard him scream before! Thankfully the metal band is gone. He still has infection to work through and antibiotic to take.

Usually he's getting to his food and more talkative. This morning he's sitting in one place for the most part and silent.

Should I be worried, or is this just a passing thing?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He had to have removed a metal identification band that had penetrated underneath his skin and caused an infection. Wow what a hellacious trip that was! He screamed and yelled like I never heard him scream before! Thankfully the metal band is gone. He still has infection to work through and antibiotic to take.

Usually he's getting to his food and more talkative. This morning he's sitting in one place for the most part and silent.

Should I be worried, or is this just a passing thing?
In cases like this I wish the vet had lightly sedated the poor bird like they do when they need to take x-rays. Especially because you now need to make sure he gets his medication. How do you plan to medicate him? Can you sneak the medicine into his favorite treats?

He will come around but I would leave him alone for now, talk calmly and sweetly to him, and offer him his favorite (medicated, if possible) treats. Don't let him watch you hide the medication in his treats. A highly intelligent parrot, especially a traumatized suspicious one, may be watching.

Most Reactions

Latest posts