How long until a parakeet from Petco stops flying away from me!?!

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
How long until a recently bought parakeet from Petco stops avoiding me? Petco only has a 30 day live animal return policy. If 30 days passes I’m stuck with a loser bird! I am very upset!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish my parakeet would just stay still on my lap!!!!!

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
How long until a recently bought parakeet from Petco stops avoiding me? Petco only has a 30 day live animal return policy. If 30 days passes I’m stuck with a loser bird! I am very upset!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people at petco probably didn’t interact/handle the bird often so it might take so time to build trust with your parakeet. It could take more than 30 days… Having a bird takes patience, understanding and lots of responsibility. If that doesn’t seem something you want to do maybe having a bird is not for you. Birds are not for everyone which is okay. :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'll have to agree with @MariaS.C.M. above. I think your expectations of this (or any) bird are not reasonable for them. For the best for this bird, and ultimately to save yourself the frustration, return him. He deserves the chance for happy life, and it doesn't sound like you're in a mindset to give him that.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I have to agree with the others, please return the bird and stop getting birds you clearly don't care for. They aren't toys. Get a stuffed animal or something.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
I have to agree with the others! Birds aren’t just toys you can play with! They have their own personality, thoughts and emotions! It takes time to build trust and the bird may just not like to sit on your lap. And no bird is a loser! You clearly don’t care for the bird and just want to make it do what you want It it! It may be best for you to return the bird and get something else. Not all people is made to have pet bird.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
It can take as long as a year for a bird to fully trust a new owner. I had a larger bird, a White Capped Pionus, that took almost a year and a half before he would sit on my shoulder. He never did like my hands.

If you decide to keep the parakeet, good luck to you! Parakeets are active birds and generally aren't cuddly. Usually anyways.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'll have to agree with @MariaS.C.M. above. I think your expectations of this (or any) bird are not reasonable for them. For the best for this bird, and ultimately to save yourself the frustration, return him. He deserves the chance for happy life, and it doesn't sound like you're in a mindset to give him that.
There are no "loser birds"- only loser people. Even the friendliest, tamest parakeets don't sit on your lap and stay still.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
PLease take what our other members have said in the right light. THis forum is all about the welfare of the parrots. From the limited about of information you gave us, it would appear that your expectations of the budgie are much higher then what one can usually expect from any parrot. They hate changes and adapt very slowly to them. Owners of parrots have to understand that and adjust their expectations accordingly. It takes a lot of patience to work with and train parrots, if you are not temperamentally suited to this kind of relationship with an animal, then parrots are likely not the best match for you.

Plus, as has been said, budgies are typically not a sit on the shoulder and cuddle kind of parrot, their nervous nature makes them twitchy and very active.

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
Hi. I understand u want a bird to sit on your shoulder or laptop but u have to work with him/her with millet ( that is birds favorite treat). To train the bird to sit by you. Only use that for training purposes. U must have lot of patience and time. It gonna take a quite few months. Every bird has different personalities. He/she must be afraid right now being different place. We don’t know how long he/she being in petco cage. Please give a time. parakeets are amazing birds to own.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]

i Would say that what the other's said above is right. Taming birds takes a lot of patience and time, he/she won't just get convinced that he/she must trust you. You must do lots of research before owning a bird, or any pet. Taming may be frustrating, but in the end, the result is usually amazing and worth the struggles. My Pet parakeets Took atleast 2 months to completely trust me that they both can fly towards me as they please. But they don't trust me completely. Being skittish and scared is a budgerigar's nature. they fly speedily for a reason. I would highly recommend either returning it to petco or be patient and tame it. And if you're keeping it, please do research.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

There are no "loser birds"!!! My youngest bird Apollo was very anxious when I first got her and a lot of times it felt like one step forward and two steps back. Now, she's been with me for 1 or 2 years (I forgot) and she's turned into the most wonderful bird I have ever had the pleasure to own. Very gentle, doesn't bite, is very expressive, and doesn't play annoying "games" where she does the opposite of what I want her to do for her personal amusement like Stormy does.

That aside, I think this person is a troll.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
There are no "loser birds"!!! My youngest bird Apollo was very anxious when I first got her and a lot of times it felt like one step forward and two steps back. Now, she's been with me for 1 or 2 years (I forgot) and she's turned into the most wonderful bird I have ever had the pleasure to own. Very gentle, doesn't bite, is very expressive, and doesn't play annoying "games" where she does the opposite of what I want her to do for her personal amusement like Stormy does.

That aside, I think this person is a troll.
I'm glad you bonded with Apollo. I remember you thinking of rehoming a while back so I'm glad you gave her a chance.
I hope the person is a troll. It's so upsetting when I think of someone thinking such bad things about an innocent bird.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I remember you thinking of rehoming a while back so I'm glad you gave her a chance.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if everything was going to be ok with her, but it was. She just needed time and patience.
It's so upsetting when I think of someone thinking such bad things about an innocent bird.
Yes, the birds fear is not their fault!

Most Reactions

Latest posts