How many is too many toys?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Someone jokingly (I hope!) accused me of providing Percy with too many toys and said 'he doesn't know what to do with it all'.

I do tend to go overboard with things so I thought I'd check in with the experts. Some info -

*Percy does have a lot of toys - in his cage, on his gym, foot toys and in the toy rotation box.
* The toys do not restrict him from moving anywhere he wants although sometimes, he does have to go around things (but I do that on purpose because I think it makes him think a bit and the excercise can't be a bad thing, right?)
* He plays with 90% of all the toys every day, however briefly in the case of certain toys.
* When I notice him ignoring a toy for a few days in a row, I remove it and replace it with another.
* He has very little, if any, 'new toy fear' because I always show him new toys I make and let him see me make them often too. So he's actually very keen to investigate new stuff - as long as he has seen it before. Adding 'unseen' stuff to his gym while he's sleeping results in him giving it the 'head cocked' look for about a day before he will go closer LOL!

So, what do you think? Is there something like 'too many toys'?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I think the only time there would be 'too many' toys is if it was restricting him from moving around and from stretching his wings. Other than that, the toys are offering him stimulation and keeping him physically and mentally occupied, I can't see anything wrong with that.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I agree with GaryBV. I think lots of toys is absolutely a good thing, and I also position my bird's toys so she has to move around them. Just so long as they aren't making it totally impossible for the bird to move through the cage, it should be fine.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Percy is (as my mother would say) spoilt rotten.

So what? :D You go, girl! There are worse things to worry about than spoiling your pets.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
What do you mean too many toys !!!! :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
pinkbirdy-albums-belly-picture7609-toys-016.jpg

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
no many is too many! birds manage to play with how many ever toys you give them. but yeah, like gary said, if its becoming obstructive, then its too many

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I think there's too many toys only when they're in there cage and there's so many, the bird cannot move around or flap his/her wings. However, you can hang toys and perches from the ceiling, the cage, put them on play stands, so in that regard, there's never too many.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
If you lose your bird and have to spend two hours sifting through the toys in the cage to find him, you MIGHT have one too many! lol

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts