How many mice does it take to kill an Albatross?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That was gut wrenching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Now why didn't somebody step in? These "reality" nature videos get on my nerves.

OP
Cardinal

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Now why didn't somebody step in? These "reality" nature videos get on my nerves.

It is difficult to intervene for every single chick . Gough island is an unpopulated island with only researchers. I think the video was taken with a remote automatic camera.

But if you look at the whole website it they are stepping in and they are hoping to and planning to eradicate the mice by 2019.

Just recently South Georgia island,another seabird paradise got cleared of rats and mice.

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
That is very sad... �� I hope the eradication goes well! The sooner the better. 2019 seems so far away.

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
I would suggest bringing cats in. That would eradicate the mice without harmful pesticides being used. But then we have the problem of kitty cats and baby birdies.

OP
Cardinal

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
I would suggest bringing cats in. That would eradicate the mice without harmful pesticides being used. But then we have the problem of kitty cats and baby birdies.

You are probably half joking but nevertheless want to say Feral Cats compete with Rats for the title of worst Invasive predatory mammal species. The cats may eat some mice but will find the seabird chicks far easier prey.

Bring in cats would be a CATastrophe. The pesticides are harmful only to the rodents and not to the birds. They are well designed and are coated with a bright color to make birds avoid them.

South Georgia declared free of bird-killing invasive rats | Daily Mail Online

Most Reactions