How much do I feed my little guy per day?

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
When it comes to pellets, I have heard both:
a) keep it full, b) a few tablespoons a day c) half a cup a day

What is the correct amount to feed a green cheek that is already at a healthy weight (to maintain said weight)? :confused::confused::confused:

He also gets fresh chop everyday and a teaspoon full of human consumption grade seed or so every few days.

FYI: he currently gets both Roudybush and Harrison's pellets and TOPs (Totally Organic Pellets).

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
When it comes to pellets, I have heard both:
a) keep it full, b) a few tablespoons a day c) half a cup a day

What is the correct amount to feed a green cheek that is already at a healthy weight (to maintain said weight)? :confused::confused::confused:

He also gets fresh chop everyday and a teaspoon full of human consumption grade seed or so every few days.

FYI: he currently gets both Roudybush and Harrison's pellets and TOPs (Totally Organic Pellets).

Hi how does he eat - does he eat everything in sight or go round picking this and that?

He sure has a selection of pellets! Well done Mom! Does he like them all?
Does he eat them all?

What is good for one bird is not for another. :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
My advice is always have fresh food available. Regardless of how much he eats. I find Skittles eats more on some days than others. Usually his level of activity determines his appetite.

But you also don't want to waste food, so you could just put in a few spoonfuls at a time, provided you can monitor it throughout the day.

Keeping food fresh is important. Whether its pellets or table foods. Spoilage can occur rather quickly.

Because Skittles is 'free-flighted', I don't fix him 'table foods' and put them in a dish. I just hand feed him the foods. He likes to hold them in his foot and nibble on them. He always has this look like you'd swear he was saying..."aahhh, this is the life!".

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Opinions differ but half a cup is WAY too much. My PAIR of gccs ears 1/4 cup of pellets a day if that is their only food. I say prioritize fresh, and then experiment with how much they eat when given the chance. One easy way is to fill the pellet cup and weigh it on a gram scale. Feed in the morning, and weigh it again in the evening. However much they ate during the day is a great starting point for how much to feed going forward. That way they can't pick through and waste, but they are not being calorie restricted.

Most Reactions

Latest posts