How much does a congo cost per month?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You just asked for a price chart the other day. Have a look.

http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies-parakeets-cockatiels/40374-price-chart-medium-large-parrots.html

I promise a Grey will cost a WHOLE lot more than $10 on food per month.

Spending only 1-2 hours per day with a CAG certainly isn't much.

I honestly can't say how much my food costs are because I have five birds, and I buy in bulk... but I will say it is significantly more than ten dollars a month. These days, one bag of nuts will cost you $12 to $16 dollars. Then there are the fresh fruits and veggies... and pellets.

Mine was on Harrison's the first 18 months of his life. They need the extra nutrition. That was around $28 bucks a bag as I recall, and I went through around a bag a month or more. Nutriberries alone, by the tub, are over $20.00...

So food and treats are probably closer to $50.00

Your initial investment in toys and perches, to do this right, will probably be somewhere around $150-200.

My CAG is kept in a macaw sized cage with a playtop that is 30x40x68. Those are running around $500. or so right now.

So, figure around $1000 for the bird, $800 for cage and accessories, and another $30-50 per Month or so to feed.

Then you have grooming - wings and nails probably 3x per year, beak about once per year.

Then you have vet care - annual or semi-annual well birdie expense is around $250 or so per bird.

You also have the hidden cost of cleaning supplies...

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
think birdman666 sums it up well :) spend £12 alone a month on walnuts lol

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Birdman just laid it out all nice and clear for you.
I see now on your sig you are thinking of a cockatiel again? I think if you REALLY want another bird now, that might be an excellent choice! :)

I know it's fun to dream and think of your future birds! Realistically, these larger birds (and really even conures) are best suited for an adult. I mean, you're not even a teenager yet... I'm not saying you're a baby, and I believe you're a responsible young man, but I'd bet that if your parents (where the money flow would come from for a while) were in on this conversation, they'd want you to wait also. The larger birds are NOTHING like Cheddar... and many adults even with some bird experience struggle with behavior issues that can feel overwhelming. Some species or individual birds can still develop some undesirable traits (plucking, etc) even of you're not doing anything blatantly wrong. ...and parrots bite HARD! You can't imagine how hard. Even the little ones. Sorry, but my honest and humble opinion is, getting a parrot (not budgie or cockatiel) but larger parrot has got to be something your parents are also into, or hold onto the dream until you're much older and settled in life :)
I do not mean to rain on your parade, I really don't but surely you can see where I'm coming from?

Good luck :)

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I don't find pellets to be overly expensive...I mean, they aren't CHEAP but a 5 lb. bag lasts a while here. Fresh foods do add up, but I don't usually feel as though I'm breaking the bank for that either. Kale, carrots, peppers, brown rice, quinoa, etc. are staples of mine and are pretty inexpensive.

Toys for a medium bird, on the other hand, can be very expensive. $10-30 for one toy is not uncommon, and a parrot as intelligent as a grey has the potential to get bored very quickly. I would say you can expect to provide, minimum, five to six new toys per month.

You can certainly cut costs by making your own toys, but what you save in money you will make up for in labor! :D

As for vet visits...as previously mentioned, you don't need to take the bird in every month. An annual checkup is recommended, and that will generally run $50-100 for a visit alone (a few hundred if you want bloodwork done as well). The important thing is to have a savings available for emergencies. Even something like a minor infection or injury can cost hundreds to treat.

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Hey guys while we are on the topic of owning a grey and cost can someone enlighten me as to how dusty these beautiful babies are as compared to an Umbrella Cockatoo? I have never had allergies or Asthma but developed it to the Cockatoo. They carry a significant amount of powder. A woman I know has three Greys and had an M2 and she has said that the Greys are no where near the dust if a Too. I currently share my home parrot wise with my wonderful feathered companion Hahnna who is a Hahn's Macaw. I would at some point like another parrot and have developed a live for the Grey. My heart has always been with the Cockatoo but I can never have one due to the amount if powder they carry and the respiratory reaction I have towards the powder. I don't want to make a mistake with a Grey and have my heart broke or worse my parrot not have a home any longer because I get the same reaction to them as I have to the Toos. I have handled babies / Greys where U but my food and supplies and have no issue. With the Toos even babies five minutes holding them and I am wheezing . Just would appreciate some input. Thanks Elaine and Hahnna .

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They are dander birds, but it's nowhere near as bad as too dust. If you bathe them once a week, it helps keep the dander down, and the feathers in good shape.

Most Reactions

Latest posts