how much does a typical trip to the vet cost?

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
I've never taken Pico to the vet before because he's always been extremely healthy to my knowledge. I have been meaning to take him in just for a general examination though. does anyone know about how much this costs? I also want to get his nails trimmed
thanks!
- Kim and Pico:rainbow1:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
The cost can vary, but I would guess from $50. to $75. dollars for the initial office visit and physical exam. You can call the veterinary offices in your area and ask, they will be able to give you an estimate.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
The cost can vary, but I would guess from $50. to $75. dollars for the initial office visit and physical exam. You can call the veterinary offices in your area and ask, they will be able to give you an estimate.

Yeah but factor in blood work that should probably be done and you're looking at a few hundred dollars at least! Parkers first vet visit with blood work was $600+, darn near put me in the poor house!

Admittedly there might have been one or two more tests than typical since we were looking for a reason for plucking.

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Last week I spent $450 taking 5 birds in, two nail clips, and 4 gram stains.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I wish I lived where you all do. Zilla's vet charges $140.00 for just the appointment and all that includes is a general look & feel, everything else is extra, fecal, blood tests, etc...

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I wish I lived where you all do. Zilla's vet charges $140.00 for just the appointment and all that includes is a general look & feel, everything else is extra, fecal, blood tests, etc...

It's $100 for us here in NS too. And there are no "officially" certified avian vets, just a couple who have joined the association of avian medicine... according to a local Facebook group, that doesn't make them certified :S either way, I use the best vets available to me. (I would love clarification if anyone can give me more accurate info!).

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
It's $65 here, but I live in Saskatchewan and it has one of the best veterinarian colleges in Canada. So it has everything they need right there. My visits include nail trimming, fecal exam, overall health exam, and beak trimming if necessary. Otherwise to see a different avian vet here it's $100 just to come in, $35 for a nail trim, and was $200 for a gram stain (something I could've easily done myself in the biology labs...). So it's kind of a location thing and an accessibility thing. I except to pay at least $300 a year in general check ups for my two, but I'm also the kind of person where if I noticed the most minor thing off I rush them to the vet. I'm a bit of a worry wart, haha!

Most Reactions