How much food

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
How much fresh fruit/veggies do you serve a day? I have been offering lettuce, peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, blueberries, mangoes, trying to interest her in more berries. My concern is, she gets fruit/veggies and a seed/pellet mix, am I over feeding her? She gets out of cage time but she's not flighted so I don't want her to be overweight.

Also, how do you preserve your figs? And how many do you give a day?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
If you use lettuce use romain as iceburg is not supposed to have much in the way of nutrients. vegies and fresh fruit is not what makes them fat. Take it easy on some of the other foods like too many sunflower seeds . too many nuts some are good just not too many. I give my birds as much fresh fruit and veggies as they will eat. I also give depenging what is on the menu that day. cooked brown rice, boiled chicken,beef, turkey, cooked egg, whole grain pastas, birdy bread, mashes quinoa, cooked beans, frozen cooked mixed veg, fresh corn, etc. Alison and sweetie pie :D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
The best thing to do is weigh them regularly and cut back only if they start to get overweight. I'm not as good about that as I should be.

A lot of fruit could contribute to weight gain, but the other thing that eating a lot of fresh food can do is cause polyuria -- watery droppings where the fecal part is still distinct but there is a lot of urine. Scooter eats a lot of his fresh food and he basically has polyuria all the time, but it is something to be aware of.

When I have fresh figs, I just keep them in the fridge, am I missing something here?

marvinsmith078

Sep 3, 2012
Prefer to give only limited food to birds not more or not less. Because when you give more food birds can eat it and it is injurious for their health. So, take the advise from bird adviser and give that much food and make your birds health better.

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Hi there. Just give a variety of food. Keep it simple and easy. Pellets, seeds, nuts, fruit and veggies. Make sure to give fresh water every day. Shower, bath or mist your birds. Give them fresh air and natural sun light. If you take them outside before very careful. Harness or carrier is the best mode. Just love them and they will be happy vibrant birds.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
the nut will only eat fresh fig if i hold it or its on a spoon! and same with any wet/sticky feeling foods lol

i love giving nut whole brocoli stalks, its food and a toy, she likes the middle and chewing away at the outter woody bits

as mentioned above fresh fruit and veg limitless, but watch out for wet ploops

oh certain veg like corn/peas etc are fattening and possibly banana like with us high carb content = fattening in mass amounts

not tried freezing fresh fig, but i cook off corn on cob, chop into pieces and freeze them, then every morning i bring some out for the nut, she likes them frozen and later on in day when its defrosed, she shreds the core
i tend to make her work or forage for her food

hello an welcom an pics of your baby please :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts