Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
So ever since audrey took a little snack from my hand, she has decided every single time I eat, its her food too. She waddles over and sits on my shoulder then tries to take the food from my mouth and everything!! (Don't worry I don't let her do that lol) and everytime I put her down, she comes waddling back over lol... I'd hate to have to put her away every time I eat as she has free range of the house whenever I am home. I've also tried giving her, her meal at the same time, but hey whats on my plate is much more interesting apparently :p

So my question is, how much 'people food' is ok? I have rice, potato, pasta etc with most meals and she is taking a little bit of these. Like maybe a tea spoon of rice or less or two or three pieces of pasta.. But for each meal.. is this too much or is it ok? Also let me make it clear when I say rice, potato, pasta, I mean one of these as a side dish with my meals lol not all at once. So she's only getting a small amount. :D

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
That sounds fine to me. I give Jax all those along with his veggies (not all at once...lol) I have the same problem when I am eating too. He wants what he sees me eating.

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Haha what we are eating on our plate is much more interesting, even if it was the same thing I bet lol!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think it's all right to "share" a bit of everything here and there, but 1 teaspoon of each sounds like a lot. :eek: I'd say a couple of bites of everything (unsalted and not spiced up unnecessarily) should be just fine though. :)

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Its probably not one teaspoon haha, I just don't know how to get the measurement of what she eats, that was the rice, she kept coming back for more but I stopped her after a few mouthfuls lol! And its not all at once hahaha :p Only like one thing per meal (mostly dinner) with lunch if Im eating a sandwich or cruskits she just picks at it lol!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Its probably not one teaspoon haha, I just don't know how to get the measurement of what she eats, that was the rice, she kept coming back for more but I stopped her after a few mouthfuls lol! And its not all at once hahaha :p Only like one thing per meal (mostly dinner) with lunch if Im eating a sandwich or cruskits she just picks at it lol!

AAWWW...that is quite all right then. Makes mealtimes more special and fun, doesn't it? :D

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
I dunno hahaha, makes mealtimes more difficult LOL!! But it is adorable that she wants to join in hehe! :p

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
not spiced up

then how come they sell peppers in bird food?? :p

the GW's LOVE spicey stuff

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Most birds LOVE spicy foods, as they don't have the same types of "taste buds" as we do (hence why the sell peppered bird food Wharf Rat!)

As long as what you're eating isn't on the no-no list (caffeine, alcohol, avocado, etc), then let her have some! The amounts they take really are small, and yes they make a mess, but hey! That's part of owning birds. We used to share with Loki all the time until we moved and have carpeting (he's none too pleased with us about that either, he misses meal times :( ).

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
I would be cautious of really carbohydrate or protein heavy foods. I say this only because eckies have special digestive tracts and can get fat (as Im sure you know). Mango does this to me too, so I often put some of his veggies on my plate so I can pretend hes getting my food. We eat a lot of rice and beans, so he gets the odd chickpea or lentil, but be careful doing this every day with your eckie. Audrey is so wonderful, you wouldnt want to risk getting her fat or suffering from liver problems or something.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
it was a rhetorical question :p

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
My male ekkie does the same thing. Its gotten to the point where, if my wife and I are intending to have a peaceful dinner, we have to put the birds upstairs. They keep waddling over to our plates and start begging for food. Usually, I put aside some bird friendly food in a bowl, and I noticed that just having that bowl is not enough. I "trick" the birds by placing it in my own plate, so they feel like they are eating from the same plate as me. This usually works. I don't recommend giving them "people" food, unless its a non-dressed salad or something. Sometimes I will give them pasta, but the pasta I eat is usually quinoa pasta or brown rice pasta (I personally feel that wheat is not healthy for birds), and I put some aside for them that has no sauce on it. Most sauces have onions and garlic and that's not good for birds. Condiments are not good for them either. Definitely no salt! A little bit won't hurt them of course, but they are also birds, so a little bit from our perspective is much more substantial for their physiology. Also, the birds will start to get into a routine with it, they will expect to eat your dinner, they will want the human food that's not good for them, and I don't want my birds getting into a habit with it, or getting into an expectation game with it. So its very occasional that I let them eat "illegal" foods, and just a few bites. Usually, I set aside a version of my dinner that is safe for them.

So just be careful. If you have to prepare in advance to have a bird safe portion of your meal available, then do that, and place it in your plate in its own small bowl, and see how that goes. The other thing I've done is have something the birds like and feed it to them on my shoulder while I eat. My female likes dates, so at dinner sometimes I will feed her a date while she is on my shoulder, so I can eat in peace. My male is hopeless, he won't go for anything, he wants my plate!

Last edited:
OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
I think that Wendy meant spices like oregano, garlic etc, I have been told to stay clear of those. Audrey does love spicy stuff! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I wont let her have that much, I think sharing every now and then will be okay, but she must stop this 'every meal' business LOL I've eaten out today so as soon as I got home she rushed to her food, I think she's been waiting until I got home to eat lol!

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
i wouldve said no spices/sauces not because of the flavour, but say if we have pasta i would give pickle some plain pasta, and not give him any with the sauce on it, because we buy our sauce in jars and cans and just heat it up and who knows whats in stuff like that. All the pre-packaged extra flavours and stuff i would avoid. But a lot of things on my plate i would give to him in his bowl anyway as well XD

i guess it depends on what your 'people food' generally consists of. XD

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Hi!

I think I'm confused. I thought the eclectus eats mostly human food such as: vegetables, brown rice, beans, fruit, and nuts--and seeds and pellets in moderation.

My baby parrot, Oliver, is 8 weeks old and comes home some time in January. I visit with him once a week to bond. I've read three books in total and of course this wonderful platform to better prepare myself for the big day he's home with us and can use all the advice you have to offer.

I'd love to post pictures but I'm not sure how...it only pops a URL where before I thought it took me to my browser :rolleyes:

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
Whenever I cook I always porting a little off and prepare it in a bird safe manner for my Alexandrine. He gets his own little bowl at the table. He always makes a mess and I have to clean it up after.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Friday night is usually pizza night here........the birds have gotten to the point that they KNOW when the pizza gets here and respond accordingly when I answer the door. Last night was no exception. :rolleyes: We were talking about it last night and agreed their most favorite food is pizza crust (and a few toppings). All 5 of them go nuts for it

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie goes nuts for pizza too. I always give her a couple of small pieces on a Sat Night as a treat!! She waits in anticipation LOL

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Codie goes nuts for pizza too. I always give her a couple of small pieces on a Sat Night as a treat!! She waits in anticipation LOL

LMAO.... :D

ALL my fids LOVE pizza! And I admit it...they all get a tiny piece. They gobble it down SO fast and then beg, just like dogs, minus the slobber though. :54:

Most Reactions

Latest posts