How my Katie adopted me

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Yes, you read that right! We were the ones adopted!

Hi, I'm a new Macaw mom of a 23 year-old Catalina Macaw and wanted to just share our adoption story

About 3 months ago, my husband got the itch for an avian companion. He was relentless too. He's had a few parrots before, the last being a Cockatoo so he's a huge bird lover. Because of both our work schedules he hadn't brought up till now since I've recently transitioned to a stay at home mom. Anyways, I feel like the best thing to do when he gets these "ideas" is to give it time and humor him.
:p

So we found ourselves at our local bird store/avian rescue. They have a tons of different parrots but he found himself drawn to the Macaws!! I nearly had a heart attack looking at those beaks! We would visit 2-3 times a week and he was drawn to a humongous Scarlet Macaw named Max. He was an older bird with serious heart issues but such a sweetheart that was starting to respond to us. While hubby was at work one day, I went to visit Max. As I was walking towards his cage, a Catalina Macaw that was hanging on the cage by just her beak caught my eye. I thought it was humorous how she was hanging. One of my favorite things about going to the Avain Rescue is the fact that I can spend time and talk to all the birds, especially the ones that have been there years. So anyways, I stop and chat with this funny bird and after a bit she moves back to her perch and starts to lift one foot. I thought she was waving!! So I would say Hello and wave back haha!

Luckily one of the volunteers came by just at that moment and asked if I wanted to pull this Macaw, Katie out. I had to say yes, how would you say no to that? She very easily pulled Katie out and and Katie looked at me and again reached her foot out to me. As she stepped on to me, I think my heart melted!!! She then looks at me and comes closer towards my chest and nuzzled me. That was it ladies and gentlemen, that was it! I was hers. That day I was able to scratch her head and under her wing, and get her to step up and down.

I texted my husband right after- "Hey Baby, So we are adopting this Macaw Katie, and that's that."

Haha

He went in the next day without me, and even though it wasn't as instant- she did trust him and was happy to step up for him.

We then proceeded to visit her almost every day for 2 weeks, getting more and more familiar with her all the while falling more in love with this magnificent Macaw.

We brought her home last week and she has been adjusting so well. We have 4 kids so it's quite a busy household. She doesn't want the kids to touch her but she loves when they talk, sing, dance, and play ball with her.

I really feel blessed to have been adopted by this sweetheart <3

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 198

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congratulations on being Adopted!

If you haven't, please take the time to read the highlighed in light blue Threads at the top of the MAC Forum. Also Target any Thread in the MAC section authored by Birdman666 and any Post that he had provided within the MAC Forum!

You have been adopted, but you need to continue with developing a bond with the MAC and also, to assure that she is comfortable with every member of your family and those who visit your home. This process is called Socialization and is very important to the joy of being a MAC household. Consider games like pass the MAC, etc. to build a comfort with her and her family. Everyone gets a job either moving her around to providing a treat. That family member that is less liked gets to provide the most treasured treats, etc... The goal is that everyone is needed and wanted.

While you and everyone are working with her, please keep in mind: It is NEVER the fault of the MAC! It is ALWAYS the fault of the Human! By view everything from this vantage point, when something goes wrong, you can more quickly determine what needs to be changed and correct it.

You stated she has a potential heart problem. When you have time, please provide a bit more information. FYI: If you have not, please get her to a CAV (Certified Avian Vet) ASAP for a New Parrot Examination, which needs to include a full blood screen with attention toward I.D.ing the type of Heart /Air Sack problem she has! Have your CAV show you how to hold her so that you can 'hear' her heart. You will need to know the difference between her heart rate at different states, example: at rest, active, etc....

Again, Congratulations!

I see that it was the other MAC with the heart problem! None the less, it is still important to get her into a CAV for a New Parrot Examination.

Last edited:
OP
MacawMomma

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Congratulations on being Adopted!

If you haven't, please take the time to read the highlighed in light blue Threads at the top of the MAC Forum. Also Target any Thread in the MAC section authored by Birdman666 and any Post that he had provided within the MAC Forum!

You have been adopted, but you need to continue with developing a bond with the MAC and also, to assure that she is comfortable with every member of your family and those who visit your home. This process is called Socialization and is very important to the joy of being a MAC household. Consider games like pass the MAC, etc. to build a comfort with her and her family. Everyone gets a job either moving her around to providing a treat. That family member that is less liked gets to provide the most treasured treats, etc... The goal is that everyone is needed and wanted.

While you and everyone are working with her, please keep in mind: It is NEVER the fault of the MAC! It is ALWAYS the fault of the Human! By view everything from this vantage point, when something goes wrong, you can more quickly determine what needs to be changed and correct it.

You stated she has a potential heart problem. When you have time, please provide a bit more information. FYI: If you have not, please get her to a CAV (Certified Avian Vet) ASAP for a New Parrot Examination, which needs to include a full blood screen with attention toward I.D.ing the type of Heart /Air Sack problem she has! Have your CAV show you how to hold her so that you can 'hear' her heart. You will need to know the difference between her heart rate at different states, example: at rest, active, etc....

Again, Congratulations!

I see that it was the other MAC with the heart problem! None the less, it is still important to get her into a CAV for a New Parrot Examination.

Thank you so much for all your advice! We are definitely taking it slow and will get every family member involved! I will be reading up on the socialization, want to do the best for her! Can I ask you a random question? The vet suggested I start target training her, should I wait on this or start right away?

And thank you for the vet suggestion, before I brought her home she already had her Avian Vet appointment scheduled! She went on Wed and seems very healthy, we'll get the results from the blood work next week.

Thanks again!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Congratulations, and welcome!
Really looking forward to following your adventures with your new adopter.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Thank you so much for all your advice! We are definitely taking it slow and will get every family member involved! I will be reading up on the socialization, want to do the best for her! Can I ask you a random question? The vet suggested I start target training her, should I wait on this or start right away?

And thank you for the vet suggestion, before I brought her home she already had her Avian Vet appointment scheduled! She went on Wed and seems very healthy, we'll get the results from the blood work next week.

Thanks again!

What we do has not fit well with target training.

Add it can occur at anytime that you are comfortable with what you need to accomplish. Remember that developing a strong family bond is most important. Get your kids sitting along side your MAC and reading the Threads and Posts by Birdman666 to your MAC 'out loud.'

Most Reactions

Latest posts