How noisy is your macaw?

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
I'm really curious what people's experience is with this. I've heard some people say their bird screams all the time, but I've had quite the opposite experience. I know it's going to be different macaw to macaw, since they all have their own personalities, but I want to see how it is for everyone here.

Sunny was a verified screamer, supposedly. Like the all day long kind. I knew that when I got her, and having already cared for a conure screamer at a pet store I worked at, I was prepared for the worst (his favorite was screaming directly in your ear while you cleaned his food bowls and perches). I figured she would be loud when I got her and that was fine. I have my own house, and if she wanted to scream to the mountain ranges, there wouldn't be anyone to complain about it.

The thing is, she's quieter than any bird I've been around. She talks a lot, mostly muttering and "step up" even when she's eating, or doing weird whispers and hisses and then laughing. But the screaming is maybe 1-2 times a day when I forget to close the bedroom door and she calls to me from across the house, like a "hey! I'm in here! You left me! I'm over here in case you forgot!". I guess because she's with me 24/7 she doesn't feel the need to scream like she did before.

Does your macaw scream? Are they quiet? Do they only scream occasionally? What usually makes your macaw scream, or is it just for fun?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Max just wants to be part of the action.

He screams if he hears us in another room and did not take him with us.

or when he is hungry.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Haven't had macaws for 9 years but easily recall the screams. "Jet engine loud" is the best descriptor for when they were seeking attention or flock-calling. Mostly early in the day and later in the afternoon. I really miss the macaw personality, particularly my GW.

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
I have a Hahn's macaw, so I imagine his screams are not nearly as loud as many of the bigger macaws, but he's a hell of a lot louder than my old Pacific Parrotlet.

I live in a townhouse between two others. I've asked my neighbors if they ever hear my bird, and they say no. I'm glad about that.

My Hahn's macaw only really screams in cases like one of the above posters mentioned. If he hears one of us in another room and wants us to be with him. He'll also squawk loudly when I walk in the door and announce I'm home. That's his way of acknowledging that he heard me. For the most part, though, he is pretty quiet. The only time he makes a lot of noise is when he's trying to say all kinds of crazy stuff (crazy vocalizations). That's not really that loud, but pretty wild. He does that more when my husband is home at night than with me during the day. It's like he wants to impress my husband or something.

My little guy does not usually squawk when he's covered, even when he wakes up. We'll usually here him moving around in his covered cage to get some pellets or play with the toy near his favorite perch. I don't think we've ever really kept him covered so late that he complained.

Last edited:

Tiredmama2015

Nov 18, 2017
NC
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
I have heard Kiwi scream maybe 3 times since we brought her home in November. This was when we were in the process of changing her food. Most of the time she just chills and preens or is busy working for treats. I feel like we are very lucky.

OP
Sunnybirb

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
I have heard Kiwi scream maybe 3 times since we brought her home in November. This was when we were in the process of changing her food. Most of the time she just chills and preens or is busy working for treats. I feel like we are very lucky.

That's really funny! If I don't feed mine first thing when I get up, she'll make a big stink and stalk me every time I walk by, and holler at me if I sit down. I'm really fortunate that she's not cage aggressive with me, but if I've been too long getting the food, she'll grab my fingers when I'm adjusting the food dish and hold onto them. It's like she's holding hands with me, but with her beak. She seems to think it's funny, because she'll pin her eyes then let go, and talk loudly as she eats breakfast, growling every few seconds. She's my little brat.

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
I have an eight year old male named Marty he belts out some jungle calls in the morning and in late afternoon. He screams for a few minutes when I leave the room or if he hears dinner is ready he likes dinner he also growls and talks a lot when he eats but he talks a lot period very talkative b @ g. Marty was rehomed too me six months ago I got lucky and he took too me before I brought him home he’s a great bird.

MagicalMerlin

Jul 9, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Merlin-B&G
Merlin is moderately noisy. He has some weird screaming habits, but I've learned him and I buy earplugs in bulk.

He tends to mostly scream on the weekend mornings, when my husband is in bed sleeping in. :D Then in the evenings. He used to yell "help" a lot, but not as much anymore. He only yells help when hes hungry now.

He will also yell at our guests when they come to look at him. He lets people get really close to the cage, then screams right in their faces. He screams when you touch any laundry, fold any kind of blanket, touch or look at a towel, or when the vacuum is in sight.
I actually left my house cleaning service ladies the jar of earplugs, for when they went into that room to vacuum. I knew he would scream at them and most people don't realize how loud a B&G is! LOL

Other than that, he talks to himself a lot, whispers, mumbles, says "bird, bird, bird, bird, bird" and laughs a lot!

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Gus is the quietest macaw in the world. He sits on his cage and stares at the room. Growls when he sees an airplane, barks if you rub a feather the wrong way, screams like mad when you are on the phone and he remembers - sometimes he doesn't care. No screaming in the morning. A contact call now and then if his human wanders off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts