How normal is it for Blue front amazon to always nod off?

BlueFrontOwner

Jul 29, 2013
Seems like my 30 year old amazon is always closing her eyes and nodding off. She does seem normal and alert if stuff is happening and she is excited.

I notice if she is just on her perch or on my shoulder she will nod off. Even sometimes in the morning.

I was wondering if this is because of a problem or old age, or is it normal for these birds to always be falling asleep.

I don't notice any other signs of problems, just that she seems to always be nodding off. I also can't remember how much she used to do this.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Lethargy can be a sign of illness. If it's a behaviour that's concerning you, then please book a vet visit. There's no harm in having her health checked over just in case.

A few other things to consider if you're worried:

- Is she drinking and eating normally?
- Are her droppings healthy?
- Can she focus, or does she seem disorientated when awake?
- Is she getting enough sleep at night?

30 years "old" isn't really that "old" to me for a parrot in a domestic environment, considering they can live to be 60-80 in captivity. Unless of course they've had an incredibly unhealthy life style prior that you're aware of.

But a certified avian vet will be able to tell you for sure!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My 38 y.o. BFA was very active, but it's not uncommon for my 43 year old LCA to take naps at every given opportunity...

But it doesn't hurt to have a well birdie, and a blood panel done, just to make sure there's no infectious process at work.

And 30 really isn't all that old for a zon. It's middle age. Yours still probably has as many years left, as have gone by...

A friend of mine has her grandmother's bird (DYH). (Grandma got the bird when she was 12.) That bird is now somewhere in his mid 90's. Other than cataracts and arthritis in his feet, he's still kickin'. He's a "priceless" family heirloom, passed down from Grandma, to Mom, to Grand Daughter.

Multi-generational bird.

OP
B

BlueFrontOwner

Jul 29, 2013
Lethargy can be a sign of illness. If it's a behaviour that's concerning you, then please book a vet visit. There's no harm in having her health checked over just in case.

A few other things to consider if you're worried:

- Is she drinking and eating normally?
- Are her droppings healthy?
- Can she focus, or does she seem disorientated when awake?
- Is she getting enough sleep at night?

30 years "old" isn't really that "old" to me for a parrot in a domestic environment, considering they can live to be 60-80 in captivity. Unless of course they've had an incredibly unhealthy life style prior that you're aware of.

But a certified avian vet will be able to tell you for sure!

Thats the thing everything seems to be normal.

I do know she had a problem for a while now, for years of falling when in her cage at night. Every once in a while I heard her fall and flapping at night. Seemed to be happening a few times a night but not as common now as it once was, but I still hear it every once in a while.

Maybe this is waking her up more than I think?

The other possible issue is that I'm awake until 3AM at night and she is up, is it possible that she awakes when it gets light outside even though her cage is covered? This would make her sleep less during the night.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
All of mine take naps during the day.

The thing you are describing can be explained by night frights (which happens),
actually sleeping so soundly that they fall over, which happens more often than you think, especially if the bird doesn't have the foot strength it once did, or possibly by some sort of neurological deficit... which a vet may (or may not) be able to diagnose. (Not sure there's an effective treatment for that.)

Sleep disruption during the night would cause them to nap more during the day.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I agree with the birdman, all my zons take frequent naps during the day. My house is pretty dark and quiet at night, it's not like they're being kept up at night. The wild amazons i've watch often have "quiet time"during the day. It does seem like some are napping during that time. Maybe the amount of napping depends on the amount of activities during the day. Nothing to do equals a good nap. if they had to search for food ,water, etc. they probably wouldn't have as much time to nap.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I try to nap when my birds are napping...

Like parents do.. lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We have 'concluded' our 17 y/o blue front must have "birdie narcolepsy";) He can be playing furiously with a toy one second and taking a little nap the next. He's done it since we first got him and is in great health, so it's just a 'quark'. If this is a new behavior, I might mention it to the vet next checkup and keep a close eye for any other 'slightly off' behaviors.

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
I don't think I have ever seen Paco nap during the day while I am at home. In the cage or on his playstand that is. If he is on my lap just watching tv with me, his head goes right down to my leg or in the cup of my hand and he dozes off and can be hard to wake up! He is 22. I guess while I am at work he naps but I think he is too busy watching sponge bob reruns with the dog and rabbit.

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
Davy is only 5 years old, but he takes lots of naps. Being cage bound most of his life, he is somewhat a perch potato, but we are slowly getting him to be more active. On a day that he is more active, he takes more naps lol. But to echo everyone else, new onset behavior like that, a vet check is best.

Most Reactions