How often do you change the cage around?

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I know you're suppose to change toys around the cage to deter territorial issues and boredom, but thought I ask how often people do this? I am the type of person that likes things in its place so it's a challenge for me to change this around :). I have heard putting them into a different cage helps too so I was thinking of switching my tiel and conure into each other's cages... what do you think? And do you think that just switching "toys" around and leaving the perches is okay? I like the set up of our FID's perches and hope switching the toys would be sufficient.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
When we both used to work full time, we'd rotate 3-4 toys a week to keep Kiwi occupied as well as daily foraging. Now that I'm at home, I rotate 1-2 toys a week and still daily foraging (but he's now out all day long and has access to his swing and play tree). Perches I tend to "switch up" maybe once a year or replace as needed (like if a rope perch starts to fray or gets chewed or worn out ext...). I wouldn't suggest "cage swapping". That is your birds home, and while they may "explore" each others cages of their own free will, I wouldn't force them to be in each others cages. How would you like if you had to spend part of your time living in the neighbors house and them in yours? It may be fine to visit, but not be forced to live there. That might create jealousy/territorial issues and/or bird who are buddies to become enemies. My moms amazons (bonded pair of 40 years) occasionally go in each others cage, and the cage tops are shared property (the cages are side-by-side) but come time to go to bed, they like to sleep in their own home (and know which cage is theirs, even though the cages are identical). Plus they do have different things in their cages, Barney has special perches due to bad grip and Lucy has a bigger snuggle hut because she's a massive bird lol:) I'm sure your birds have their own unique in-cage needs to, be it a favorite perch or toy or whatever too that they probably don't want to have to share or be without.

Last edited:

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I'm a regular changer, mostly out of necessity because our big mac destroys her stuff quickly. No matter how many times we go in there and mess with things, it never improves her territorial aggression. She likes her cage and her stuff and you'd better not mess with it! She gets really upset about it, growls like a dog and runs after us! I never heard a bird do that until we got her. We have to remove her from the cage if we're in there doing anything longer than a minute or two or else we have a fight on our hands. Literally lol. The only one who can touch anything is our son because she thinks he hung the moon and stars just for her. That bird literally almost throws up anytime he comes within two feet of her because she just knows her baby needs some food lol. It's ridiculous :)

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
When we both used to work full time, we'd rotate 3-4 toys a week to keep Kiwi occupied as well as daily foraging. Now that I'm at home, I rotate 1-2 toys a week and still daily foraging (but he's now out all day long and has access to his swing and play tree). Perches I tend to "switch up" maybe once a year or replace as needed (like if a rope perch starts to fray or gets chewed or worn out ext...). I wouldn't suggest "cage swapping". That is your birds home, and while they may "explore" each others cages of their own free will, I wouldn't force them to be in each others cages. How would you like if you had to spend part of your time living in the neighbors house and them in yours? It may be fine to visit, but not be forced to live there. That might create jealousy/territorial issues and/or bird who are buddies to become enemies. My moms amazons (bonded pair of 40 years) occasionally go in each others cage, and the cage tops are shared property (the cages are side-by-side) but come time to go to bed, they like to sleep in their own home (and know which cage is theirs, even though the cages are identical). Plus they do have different things in their cages, Barney has special perches due to bad grip and Lucy has a bigger snuggle hut because she's a massive bird lol:) I'm sure your birds have their own unique in-cage needs to, be it a favorite perch or toy or whatever too that they probably don't want to have to share or be without.

Hahaha, Tiki already sneaks into Taco's cage when I am doing the morning clean up and food change. He likes Taco's seed mix that I give her as I don't give him nearly as much seed. I put Taco into Tiki's cage just because I want her to feel equal. Once in however, I sure noticed that she's not as agile as Tiki because she can't get out of the cage on her own (Tiki climbs every inch and gets out quickly. Taco can't manuver the perches and cage bars as well).

Tiki is a little bugger because he's more territorial over Taco's cage. He never gives me attitude when I get him out of his cage, but he has attitude when I get him out of Taco's cage. This morning when he was in Taco's cage I went to get him and said "off". He was so cute because I am sure he said "off" too.

The other day he said Hi Tiki clear as day, in fact I thought it was my daughter said it!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I used to do it more often but i have slacked off :54:... However, I did notice that all my birds many times WANT their favorites there at all times, and if it gets worn out, they appreciate the same type of toy replaced, and I'd better put it in the same spot as last time too lol. I end up feeling bad when I rearrange, and they end up not liking the new toys, or don't like where I put them. They look at me like "Hey!! What do you think you're doing?! Leave that there!!"

I don't change the branches because my birds find it their comfort zone, and will be a bit 'displaced' without the familiarity. They are pretty easy going about using what toys they have. Even if they're there for a while, they all literally have about 20 anyway! Maybe if you're talking about higher maintenance, easily bored species, they might need the change more.

Last edited:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
So glad to hear you do not change Perches around. I did that once and within one hour I was back inside the cage putting them back in place.

He just hung onto the side where his favorite perch once was . He kept saying hi and sticking his foot out. I am slow but not that slow lol He wanted it back.

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Yeah, I hesitate to change the perches because Taco had a night fright once and due to this I decided to keep perches where they were because she's used to them and know where they are in the dark. As well, I have them strategically placed so they work as 'steps' around the cage. Since her cage is not huge, I don't have a lot of different 'floor plans' that would work effectively as steps.

Taco has favourite toys too and I can tell when I change them that she's not happy. So now I just change the non-played with ones around. (Glad to hear someone else feels the same). Tiki has only been with us two months so I haven't changed any yet... just keep adding :11:.

I'll rethink the changing cages idea.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I have a conure that is very interested in changes (as soon as a new toy goes in she HAS to go investigate) so I actually do change her perches around monthly to keep her stimulated. I never do it too drastically, but enough to keep her on her toes. I've never had a negative reaction from it, just curiosity :) But I think all birds are different! She has always been a more curious than afraid bird, so I have a lot of lee-way with introducing new things. That said, she is very brazen and bossy, but I'll take that over her being skittish :p

sunblaze

Jul 10, 2014
Brecon Beacons National Park (Wales)
Parrots
Merlin - Sun Conure
Albus - Blue Crown Conure
My sun conure has a change around once a month now, it used to be every week or two but he spends so little time in the damn thing it was getting a bit pointless.

He's much more interested in the changes i make to his play stand and the toys and perches that hang above his cage so these get updated every few days with different treats and things to shred.

In my experience my conure has always preferred silly little things to chew and hold like plastic bottle lids, as opposed to the large expensive suspended parrot toys that hang in his cage gathering dust ... That's the thing with birds no two are the same =)

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
It depends on which bird.
I very rarely touch Ethyls, except to switch the odd hanging toy. She's much more active on the play stand and flying, and gets night frights. Change can make her anxious.
Henry is young and playful and seems to enjoy the change about, so his is 1/2ce a week, depending on whats happening. More if I've done a big online shopping spree and I'm desperate to try new stuff out ;)

Most Reactions