How often do you clean your cage with bleach?

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I heard bleach fumes are bad for your bird. :( I used hot water really, but I did just buy a disinfectant that you use on bird toys & perches etc before use so I'm going to start using that, its bird safe.

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
I don't have a macaw, but I also don't use bleach; have heard it's extremely harmful. I use very, very hot water and poop-off.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I never use bleach either. You should use 100% pure lemon juice. It cleans, it's safe for birds and really smells good. I fill my sink with hot water, I pure 1 cup of lemon juice into the sink. I use Towels that are ready to be washed. I soak them in the sink, then I lay them inside the cage on the bottom and perches. After 15 min or so. I lightly wipe and my cages are done. It takes no more then 20 min or so to clean 1 6 foot wide, 9 feet height, 4 feet deep cage. Even less time for my Eclectus's cage. I change their paper everyother day. Try this, it really cuts down on the cage cleaning.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I too would never use bleach!! I use poop off and boiling hot water when it needs a good clean, but I clean the grate at the bottom every day and change the paper daily. I also clean all food bowls every day.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I NEVER USE BLEACH. I also use a steamer to clean their cages. I do it once every couple of weeks. But I do a wipe down every day. Bleach will leave a residue no matter how well you clean it off.

Bleach fumes are harmful to birds and bleach should never be used while a bird is in the cage (or even the same room, or house!)

However, it is not true that bleach leaves a residue when dry. When bleach dries (pure bleach) it crystallises through a chemical reaction to plain old salt. Provided you are using pure bleach (no additives like lemon scent or whatever), hose it down and let it dry, any residue will be plain old salt. NaCl. What you put on you food!

I work in the aquarium industry. Koi in particular. Sanitising empty aquariums, ponds and holding tanks with bleach is standard procedure as because once it has dried out it is non toxic, as it is salt. We use a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water, and that is considered very high. I:25 would be more appropriate IMHO. So if we miss some in the final rinse (after drying) and fill the tanks back up, the worse thing that can happen is a tiny bit of salt in the water. If bleach left a toxic residue, it would kill those (very expensive!) fish almost overnight, as has happened with some other 'safe' cleaning products (Including GSE). Therefore, we use bleach for safety reasons, with a procedure that involves a 24 hour drying time (overkill, but for safety) for the koi's safety. We also have in the past used PP and GSE to satinise aquariums and holding tanks, both of which left more toxic residues (to the fish, so this does not translate to bad for your bird!) then the trace amount of salt that pure bleach, when used correctly, would.

Therefore, if you are taking your cage outside, without the bird in it to clean it, it is safe to use bleach provided you rinse it well and let it dry 100% so any residue crystallises to salt. I would not do this as a regular cleaning procedure, but if you just bought a new or secondhand cage and needed to satinise it, or you have had a ill bird in a cage and need to sterilise it, it is one of the surefire ways to actually, safely, do so.

As for cleaning my cage? I wipe the grate down and change the paper daily, as well as any obviously dirty spots. I also clean all bowls daily before filling them (twice for the fruit one, cleaned every time it gets filled, and sometimes more then once for the water bowl) Weekly, or as needed, I take Alex out and give the cage a good clean with vinegar with a drop or two of eucalyptus oil mixed in from a spray bottle and wipe it down. It is a bird safe antifungal and antibacterial mix. I use the same 'product' (home made really) around the house actually. One or two drops of oil is sufficient, and you should not be able to smell it after an hour once it dissipates! Once every few months I also take the cage outside and give it a 100% scrub down with whatever is handy and safe. Usually bleach or a bird safe sanitiser (Reptile aisle at your local pet store will have plenty).

Gail55

Dec 10, 2011
New York City
Parrots
17 yo Blue and Gold Macaw
I wipe down the perchs and cage with baby wipes wach day. They have no alcohol and I use the fragrance free ones. I use poop off on any really tough spots. I change the paper liner once or twice a day.

Barbzeee

Nov 23, 2012
Pa/Florida
Oh my...I've been using a little bit of bleech in hot water cleaning the cage everyday wiping down the perch with the damp cloth. Good. Grief ..it's kind of a thing I've done with all my animals. Reading some use lemon juice and water for cleaning...I've seen so many dilutions. What is the actual as I clean daily..bowls I clean like my dishes in bleech and dish soap. And I only use stainless steel. I've never thought of lemon juice as to leaning the cage or vinegar/apple cider ..so help on this one. Tanks. God bless

Barbzeee

Nov 23, 2012
Pa/Florida
I change paper and scrub down bird cages with Nolvasan daily. I personally think it's easier to wipe off only a days worth of poop and fresh food.... takes an extra 5 minutes a cage, and I don't get stuck scrubbing later in the week. For heavy poopers (macaws) I use pam on spots on the bars that they poop on frequently. Perches are also wiped down with Nolvasan daily. I soak all my handfeeding and medical equipment in Nolvasan and water, etc..

I guess what I'm saying is I use a lot of Nolvasan :D

What dilution do you use for the Nolvasan..I know my vet uses that in his practice...and I feel better cleaning the cage every day...being SHUGA sits I our living room ...and with my other pets. I'd rather be safe...keep em all safe.

Thanks so much. God bless:whiteblue:

Most Reactions