How often do you just 'sit & watch'?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I am facinated by my fid and the things he does and it is one of my sweetest pleasures to just sit near his cage and watch him go about his business. He seems much more active in the cage than he is out of it.

He is especially entertaining at breakfast time. It may just be his 'morning foraging' routine. I open him up about 30 mins before I refresh his cage and chat to him from the kitchen while I prepare his breakfast and foraging goodies (clear sight line) until he's finished his morning tai-chi and checking the skies for 'scary birds' (anything with feathers 'out there' that is not himself or Jack LOL).

He is quite happy to receive his brekkie and will dive straight in. But when I approach with his fresh foot toy bowls and foraging items, he drops everything ...and waits! LOL. Usually he will snap at me if I reach into his cage past him but not this time of day - he will politely stand aside so that I can put the bowl in his cage :)

This is when the fun starts. He scratches through all his bowls looking for his toy-cocaine and/or a hidden nut or treat. But he often gets side tracked and forgets that he's foraging and just plays LOL! In between, he will go sit at his window and shout out to Gambit (my big chow-cross dog that lives outside). If Gambit looks at him through the window, he ducks behind the curtain and pretends to be invisible.

At some point, a circuit is done of all the hanging toys in his cage to check if anything new arrived without his knowledge. Again he gets sidetracked and just starts playing.

And all along, he will talk to himself and anyone else he spies in the vicinity. Except Gyzmo, the pug - Gyzmo just gets the head-cocked look and a tail flare. He doesn't like Gizzy because Gizzy yaps at both Percy and Jack to 'silence" them if they squawk!

I can just watch him for hours. It is so interesting to watch his little bird brain at work. :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I don't watch my galah that much, because her main house is outside and her indoor cage is in the other room and behind me when I'm at the desk. I can watch my weiros though. I used to watch my budgies more, when they were in the cage the weiros are now in. They flit about more than the weiros. The weiros' schtick is more audio than visual. There's the whistling and the little chattering talk, there's more to listen to than to watch. They are entertaining though. I know what you mean, you can be mesmerized watching them.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
OK, I'm just going to come out and admit something that I just realised a week ago, Strudel.

Whenever you typed "weiro's" I read "Weirdo's"... I thought it was a term of endearment for your fids!!! So embarrassed at my own stupidity!

Anyway, what is a weiro bird? Are they weird? ;)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My time to watch that is in the summer when we all go outside every day for a few hours, all 3 keep me highly entertained. :) you're lucky Percy likes to hang out and play in his house in the morning, All's I get in the morning is loud complaints to get out, I open the doors and they're off!

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Chico I find is hilarious to watch. Sometimes he is rolling on his back throwing a ball in the air and other times he will fight to the death with his handcuffs (hanging within his cage).

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
If i watch them they will drop anything.
In one cage 1 will beg me and in the other cage 1 will dance.
Both complete with big puppy eyes and whimpering sounds.
While the females just sit back and watch....

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I will find myself in the middle of typing, and the next thing i know I am just watching everybody. Talli and Phoe are so funny when they play, just like little monkeys.
I also have one of my finch flights down here and I enjoy watching them as well:)
It's really hard for me to get anything accomplished..lol.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
OK, I'm just going to come out and admit something that I just realised a week ago, Strudel.

Whenever you typed "weiro's" I read "Weirdo's"... I thought it was a term of endearment for your fids!!! So embarrassed at my own stupidity!

Until you pointed that out ,i too read weirdo's lol.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots

Until you pointed that out ,i too read weirdo's lol.

Bwahaha!! Glad I'm not the only one! :cool:

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Haha Percy is such a character! What kind of things do you put in his bowls?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
where is this 'weirdo' comment??

anybody who thinks we're weird, better answer to me, ha ha.

I ALWAYS sit and watch my birds. that is how I learn about their behaviour, how they interact, socialize, what interests them etc....

just this morning, I let all my lovebirds out(5 in total) and sat and watched them for 20 minutes, getting lost in them and what they do....then I realized....geez I need to get a life, lol.

birds are like fish, people love watching them and their is nothing wrong with it at all.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I ALWAYS sit and watch my birds. that is how I learn about their behaviour, how they interact, socialize, what interests them etc....

just this morning, I let all my lovebirds out(5 in total) and sat and watched them for 20 minutes, getting lost in them and what they do....then I realized....geez I need to get a life, lol.

I had this same conversation with my son last night. I mentioned that we don't go out to the movies, that we just stay home watching the birds and he replied, "Boring!". I said not at all, it's lots of fun. He then said "You have always had an obsession with birds and animals..I mean hobby...yea, hobby!"

Hmph, obsession...oh look at how cute PeeWee is, looking in his mirror. I must go:D

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
When skittle was alive, I could watch him for hours. He was my stress reliever. Rio is a lil acrobat, so I enjoy watching her too. She makes me laugh, which is also good for stress.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I could (and do) watch my birds for hours! They're all so different and they attack their lives in such different ways - what's not to love about that? Our lost Lovies were great fun to watch: they were especially acrobatic and spent most of their time launching themselves off their slinky toy and hanging upside-down from it. Then again, the Beaks are still learning all the ropes in their spacious new apartment and I like sitting and watching them interact and play too. Oddly, Dominic's the one I really like to watch. He was so still and silent for so long, it's like every day is a new discovery. He lives outside now (since our kitchen fire), but comes inside each morning to spend his day with me. He still bites me, but much less often and I've realised it's nearly always when he gets unbalanced on my arm. He seems to like to 'discipline' me for upsetting him. Hm.

Anyway, I watch birds all the time and people do think I'm a bit odd for it. Oh well. That's me! :D

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots

I think he's a bit mental, that's for sure! ;).

I put foot toys in his bowls. All kinds of little toys that he can fiddle with. Some are shreddies, others make noise, some are soft wood (master Percy will NOT chew hard woods, thank you very much) and sometimes I sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds or cheerios here and there. He loooves his toy bowls! He actually gets INSIDE the bigger ones and then it looks like he's nesting! LOL!

He's not as keen on the basket full of toys attached to his gym but I think that's my fault. I don't rotate and refresh that one as often as the in-cage ones. And every morning before work, I quickly make one or two new foot toys to replace any that were destroyed the day before in the cage, so that keeps it interesting too. I really should get my rear in gear make just make a huge bunch to keep on standby but I'm so busy with other things...sigh!

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus

I think he's a bit mental, that's for sure! ;).

I put foot toys in his bowls. All kinds of little toys that he can fiddle with. Some are shreddies, others make noise, some are soft wood (master Percy will NOT chew hard woods, thank you very much) and sometimes I sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds or cheerios here and there. He loooves his toy bowls! He actually gets INSIDE the bigger ones and then it looks like he's nesting! LOL!

He's not as keen on the basket full of toys attached to his gym but I think that's my fault. I don't rotate and refresh that one as often as the in-cage ones. And every morning before work, I quickly make one or two new foot toys to replace any that were destroyed the day before in the cage, so that keeps it interesting too. I really should get my rear in gear make just make a huge bunch to keep on standby but I'm so busy with other things...sigh!
I hope you dont mind my pestering! But could you show me some pics or various thing? Im always looking for ideas, especially as i am still new to this toy stuff (apart form the usual hanging ones from pet stores) XD

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
I like to watch them, too! Unfortunately, the Amazons insist on interacting with me, so simply sitting and watching them is not possible. We have to go through our routine of tricks and treats. Sometimes I get lucky and the horse will wander past the window and distract them for a few minutes. They are like two old ladies eyeing the sexy, tanned cabana boy parading around the pool on a hot summer day.

The Crack House Cockatiels, however, are very entertaining. I give them shredding toys which gives them hours of entertainment. One is a youngster and he's always into something. Recently, he's learned he can make noise with his beak and likes to tap on the perch. While the two parakeets in the next cage are investigating whatever toy I have placed with them. Occasionally the green parakeet and the young cockatiel get in a screaming match through the bars. What's that about I'm not sure. But it's fun to watch!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
where is this 'weirdo' comment??

anybody who thinks we're weird, better answer to me, ha ha.
It's my weiros they are calling weirdos, not us "bird-watching enthusiasts".

A friend's son once said the same thing when he was about 7 that they were getting a "weirdo". Another one of his was that he'd like a "cup of chino"

Most Reactions

Latest posts