How should I do?

edmund

Apr 13, 2015
Parrots
alexandrine
I have adopted an Alexandrine four months ago when it was eight months old.
These months seems go well, my parrot will climb on the top of the cage (the cage is always opened the top and it can stand on it)on the daytime,and it also will go back into the cage when the sunset.
And it will step on my finger when I have food for it, but it never stay on my finger. And the problem is it is very scare when it left the cage, I have tried to let it walk on the floor and far away from the cage, it seems very very scare and try its best to run back to the cage.

How can I solve this problem? And how to make it willing to stay on my finger?

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Get a clicker, Clickers are the best for training. Do some research? B F Skinner is a good start. Clicks won't confuse the bird. Where has words can. Without realising, words can be changed. It doesn't seem much, but it is to a bird. Has an example you might be saying "good boy". Then you say "that's a good boy" or you’re a good bird. Clickers are a bridge to identify wanted behaviour between you and your bird and the training treats and praise to reinforce that desired behaviour.

Find your bird’s training treat, do this By putting five different foods on a plate and watch which one the bird eats first I used sunflower seeds, corn kernels, pine nuts, grapes and balls of millet. This becomes the birds training treat and you removed this food from the bird’s diet. Whatever your bird picks, it must not be part of the bird’s diet otherwise it defeats the purpose of being a training treat

Put the bird on his T-stand / perch and gave him a training treat and click the clicker. This indicates that training has started.
Then in your right hand hold the clicker and the training treat. The setup is with the clicker in the palm and your middle finger on the button and the training treat held between your thumb and index finger.

With your left hand, make a pistol, then hold your finger parallel to the perch and about 3 cm away. Then bring your right hand up behind your left hand and show the training treat to the bird and say "step up". If after 15 to 20 seconds the bird hadn't stepped up onto your left hand. Then remove the training treat from his sight. Wait 20 seconds and reshow the treat. When the bird steps up onto your left hand and takes the training treat, click the clicker at the same time. Then return the bird back to the T-perch / perch ask it to step down. When the bird steps down give it a training treat and click the clicker at the same time. Repeat the process.

The only advice I can give is
1 move slowly around the bird
2 let the bird come to you.
3 Don't force the bird to do anything that it doesn't want to do.
4 make the trust building and bonding sessions (training) fun
5 end all training sessions on a positive.
6 patience.

Remember food is a great motivator.

We conduct a training session prior to breakfast and dinner (food is a great motivator). At bedtime I remove all the food from the cage but leave the water.

Most Reactions

Latest posts