The Parrrot

Banned
Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
0.0.1 Congo African Grey
0.0.1 Latino Cockatiel
Sometimes, I see my CAG with a nice black beak but other times it gets a lil grey! Is it necessary to clean you parrots beak? or is the shower enough to get that done? I mean i see some parrots with shinny shinny beaks, do parrot owners clean their parrots beaks with any special elements like lets say for instance, olive oil, or is that just a parrot who just had a nice sip of water?

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Not quite sure what your getting at, by 'grey' do you mean there is food on it or something? I have heard of people using ointments and stuff on beaks, but I don't think its necessary (unless its a medical thing). Birds take care of their beaks pretty well. You might notice your birds rubbing their beaks on the perch after eating, they are cleaning their beaks with this behaviour. Just watch for food build-up, flakiness, chips and cracks and you should be fine. A balanced diet and a clean cage will help encourage a healthy beak :).

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Hello! :)

Their beaks are like our fingernails and they use them so much it's no wonder they dull down! Cal rubs her beak on her perches, cuttlefish and mineral stone which buffs it up, but I just leave her to it. I think the best way to get a shiny beak would be to ensure that enough vitamins are being given to the bird via the above channels and of course in their diet. Chewing toys are also handy for keeping beaks in great condition.

I don't know of anyone who shows their birds so I can't comment on lending a hand as such. Hope this helps.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I just let Rosie's beak alone most of the time. I leave it to her to clean it because she hates for me to touch it.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
If your birds appearence is important to you and if your fid will allow it, you can always use a drop or two of mineral oil on a soft cloth or tissue and rub it directly on the beak, no worries even if ingested it's not toxic to birds :)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
The grey he is talking about is because African Greys and Big Toos have black beaks, but are powder-based parrots. Between them preening, and scratching their beaks on everything, their beaks can get a bit dull.

I think most of the pictures you have seen of a CAG or a Too with a perfect black beak has been after they drank some water, which does indeed restore a bit of that glossy shine.

As for cleaning it, my grey wouldn't hear of it. He would occasionally get a down feather stuck in one of the little slough ridges on his beak, which looked quite comical. I would try to take it off ("got a fuzzy" he would say), but he'd resist, always wanting to grab and tongue my fingers instead...you guys know how that goes.

Point being, there's no harm in a dusty beak.

OP
The Parrrot

The Parrrot

Banned
Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
0.0.1 Congo African Grey
0.0.1 Latino Cockatiel
You might notice your birds rubbing their beaks on the perch after eating, they are cleaning their beaks with this behaviour. Just watch for food build-up.

Yeah I notice Sushi doing that after he eats, especially if its fruit, and if there is anything still stuck on he's beak I try to scratch it off when he's sitting on my hand.

Thanks man

Last edited:
OP
The Parrrot

The Parrrot

Banned
Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
0.0.1 Congo African Grey
0.0.1 Latino Cockatiel
If your birds appearence is important to you and if your fid will allow it, you can always use a drop or two of mineral oil on a soft cloth or tissue and rub it directly on the beak, no worries even if ingested it's not toxic to birds :)

Thanks von and spiritbird. Bobby, yes my birds appearance is very important to me so i might just try the mineral oil thing, but dont they use mineral oil to help animals go poop?

OP
The Parrrot

The Parrrot

Banned
Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
0.0.1 Congo African Grey
0.0.1 Latino Cockatiel
The grey he is talking about is because African Greys and Big Toos have black beaks, but are powder-based parrots. Between them preening, and scratching their beaks on everything, their beaks can get a bit dull.

I think most of the pictures you have seen of a CAG or a Too with a perfect black beak has been after they drank some water, which does indeed restore a bit of that glossy shine.

As for cleaning it, my grey wouldn't hear of it. He would occasionally get a down feather stuck in one of the little slough ridges on his beak, which looked quite comical. I would try to take it off ("got a fuzzy" he would say), but he'd resist, always wanting to grab and tongue my fingers instead...you guys know how that goes.

Point being, there's no harm in a dusty beak.

Thanks man , amazing answer, exactly what I was looking for.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
In the morning when taking Mishka to the bathroom, she lets me clean her beak with water. I then make a fist and say clean you beak, she proceeds to rub it on the bone of my knuckles.
I share some of her chores
Except for the potty, imagine me wiping her clean

Most Reactions