How to deal with screaming?

Obligatedchris

Sep 17, 2013
UK
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Hi everyone,
In the past couple of days I have noticed that my Jenday Conure (leeloo) has started to become quite dependant on my attention.
Sometimes when I leave the room she shouts for my attention, usually to get her out of the cage.
Or if she knows I'm close by, she will shout for attention.
It's not that I don't appreciate her wanting to be with me as much as she can, and I have her out as much as I possibly can too, I just see this problem progressing over time.
All I want is for her to realise that she can't always get what she wants.
Ive started to deal with this in a calm manner by calmly walking up to the cage and placing a cover over the it for ten minutes, in hope that she might realise that she is not going to win.
Can anyone tell me if I'm going about this the correct way, or if there is a better way?

treckel

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think the cover is the solution
Ignore the screaming and reinforce everything good is my advice

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I had a gold cap conure who screamed plenty, and literally drove me insane!
some days were better than others but overall he was so LOUD. due to personal reasons I had to re-home him.
Now, having said that, I would not recommend that. I was not able to quiet him down no matter what I tried, and it was months after, that I decided that a new environment would be better for him, and our family.
there are plenty of members on here who have been very successful with quieting down there feathered friends, and hopefully they will give you some excellent advice.
sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
We only cover our birds if they're screaming past a 'reasonable hour' (so the neighbours don't get upset - if we were to get enough complaints, we could be forced to rehome our birds via the council!).

Screaming? We leave the room. We give them the opposite of what they want. If they begin to catcall instead for our intention, we'll go in and give them some fuss and reward THAT call instead.

A lot of people see screaming as this really bad habit and stuff - but you have to remember that birds are FLOCK animals and because of that will experience serious anxiety when their flock is gone! The answer to that is; teach independent play, self entertainment, cue's so that your bird knows that - yes you are gone, but you WILL come back soon.

Merlin used to be a really bad screamer if he could hear us in the house but not with him, until we got Charlie. We still have screams (that are ignored), but they quieten quicker and are usually replaced by Charlie's catcall (which Merlin has picked up on.)

So I'd suggest, reinforce a 'nicer' call by leaving the room and only returning and giving attention when you hear the call you want him to use instead. Do not even LOOK at your Jenday when he's screaming - just up and leave.

Covering is a 'punishment' of sorts. Unless your bird is tired and screaming because of that, I don't suggest covering. We'll cover if we have a screaming bird who just will not settle, no matter what. So we'll cover, or put them 'to bed' for a half hour or so. After that they'll get cuddles and out time.

Since changing our methods, Merlin has screamed less and relaxed more around covers too.

treckel

Sep 5, 2013
I leave the room andwhistle each time they scream. Once they whistle back I immediately go in and praise. I have an umbrella cockatoo and Meyers parrot

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
Embrace it, as it's your bird's natural call to her flock ... you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts