how to fix all these problems

sunny1

May 12, 2013
mi detroit
Parrots
sun conuer her name is sunny
I'm still having problems training sunny. She still won't step up when ask her to. If she wants to come out of her cage she will step up. She doesn't come off of my shoulder and she will avoide my hand and bites which is very frustrating. Biting small holes in my shirts. I can't have her out of the cage for too long. Any adivce would be great. I won't get rid of her but do want her to behave.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sounds like Sunny needs a lot of one-on-one training.....how old is Sunny & how old is your jenday.....different birds...different personalities.....how long have you had Sunny?

Taking him to a room he's not familiar with gives you the benefit of being the only thing in the room Sunny knows & he will depend on you for familiarity.....if you try to train a bird in front of other birds you may not get the same attention as you would in a one-on-one situation.....try working on one thing at a time.....

Chewing holes in shirts is a conure thing...it's what they do.....get a weeks worth of cheap white t-shirts & change into one when you want to interact with him & let him on you, otherwise you're going to be replacing a lot of shirts & even jeans or slacks if you're not careful.....

Melandkids

Feb 24, 2013
Media
Florida
Parrots
Athena -blue crowned conure
Zeus - sun conure
Josey- B&G
Mine does that too... I let him spend a lot of time out of the cage. I sit beside the cage talking. Sometimes I read out loud to him and my other from a book so i dont get bored. I have gotten more and more from him as he learns to trust me. He is more and more curious about me. I had one really cool moments where he ended up on my shoulder because he was curious about my gum chewing. But I had to stop that because he dove for my face to get it. I don't him to accidentally getting ahold of it. The other thing is I put my arm against his cage several times a day too. He will come over and mess around with me. The last thing I did was let his wings grow out. I don't know what happen before me but he is very timid. But I do love to watch him test his strength.. It is like" look at me mom".. He will start screaming till I am looking then he flies away from the cage about 5 ft then back.

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Lukah- Sun Conure, 10 months old!
My Sun Conure is the same way. He is five months old and I've had him for a week and two days now. He will sometimes tolerate me but typically doesn't like me much unless he needs to use me to get back to the cage or to relieve boredom.

If your bird is new, like mine, I've figured that he probably is still adjusting to his new place and life and therefore isn't curious about me or bored enough to feel the need to take an interest in me yet. I figure once he gets bored of his cage and surroundings he will venture out more and start paying attention to me (he's been in five different homes in five months and has had four different owners). I leave his cage open (his wings are clipped) and he has started coming out a lot more lately, as I hung one of his toys outside his cage. He also has, the past two days, flown down onto the floor and, after walking around for ten minutes or so and discovering nothing of interest, walked over to me and climbed onto my leg and stared at me, realizing I'm his only hope of getting back into his cage. this is one of the only times he will willingly step up and let me near him.

Any advice anyone has for my bird would be appreciated as well!

Most Reactions