How to handle exploring bites

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
two green cheek conures (former breeders) Mango and Kiwi
Hi all,
I have a question. What is the best way to react to exploring bites?

Mango loves to sit on my arm and shoulder, even if he has a bowl of treats on top of his cage. He plays with my hair and loves to take the fabric of my bathrobe in his beak, it sometimes looks like he is cleaning his beak with it. When he's on my shoulder he takes the collar of the bathrobe, a nice thick layer and he likes the belt too. He has now discovered that there is some kind of texture under the bathrobe on my arm (yup my skin) and bites/nips harder which hurts. Mango is a very stubborn little guy and is now set on exploring further. I really think this is not aggression but exploring, so technically he isn't doing anything wrong and seems to get frustrated/mad by my reaction. I reacted by earthquaking him and giving him a "Auch!" This seems to make him frustrated, more persistent and mad. I also try to avoid him exploring my arm with his beak by keeping him distracted with treats, sadly for me he is not that treat motivated :(

I had a hand situation with him before. He decided that he wanted to eat out of my open cupped hand. He noticed the cushiony part under my thumb and started exploring it. I earthquaked him and gave a "Auch" and he tumbled into my lap. He right away jumped back on my hand and gave 3 bites to the exact same spot.. bite bite bite. He got earthquaked again, tumbled in my lap again. I was half way into the sentence "well I won't let him back..." and he was already back on my arm, proceded to my shoulder and cooled off there.
He does seem to be more wary of my hand now :(

What is the best way to react to these bites?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The best way to react to a bite is to not get bitten in the first place....

So..... the question is... what do you want him to be doing instead of exploring? Could he be playing with some foot toys instead? Maybe foraging for his treats? Or maybe learning a new behavior?

In other words, give him something to do other than the undesired behavior! And when he does the desired behavior, reward him for doing it! A lot!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Agreed. And when he does get all the way to biting, say "No" and drop him on the floor and walk away. This is how we taught Flick how hard of a bite was too hard. Be sure he is safe where you leave him of course, but make it instant. You bite me, you get left alone. But please, make sure he has something more interesting to keep him busy :)

OP
MangoandKiwi

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Thank you so much!

We just had out-of-the-cage time...
I came somewhat prepared with "toys" paper and fabric since he doesn't yet know how to play as he was a former breeder and by wearing a sweater under my bathrobe :D

I put the "toys" in my lap and Mango wanted nothing to do with me and "those things" meanwhile my hubby is entertaining Kiwi in her cage. I put the toys aside and Mango hops in my lap right away. Hubby all of the sudden leaves the room! And Kiwi starts giving her cue for treats "kkr(a)p kkr(a)p kkr(a)p" and comes out of the cage -___- Thanks hubby, now I have Mango who hopped over to my arm and Kiwi in front of me out of the cage! :11: Luckily hubby came back and Kiwi went back in her cage but started to scream a bit which made Mango more on edge too.

I offer Mango treats while he is on my arm but he just sits there looking at me and drops the treats, nope, no interest in treats anymore. He started his biting/tasting of my bathrobe again and looks the whole time at me after doing so. I'm wearing my thick sweater under the robe so I don't feel it :D Mango seemed a bit disappointed/moody so we put him back in his cage. My hubby thought they were in a bad mood or maybe hormonal.

I'm afraid that if I drop him he will loose all the trust he has in me, I'm pretty sure he doesn't trust me 100% yet. If Kiwi is too rough on him he screams and walks away from her so I do like the idea of doing the same. He's fully flighted btw but not yet comfortable doing so (only takes flight when spooked)

Also I'm not sure who trained whom on the "kkr(a)p" word lol
I heard Mango make the sound when Kiwi was preening him and when she stopped he would give a "kkr(a)p" I repeated the word and they both perked up. Somehow the "kkr(a)p" has now evolved to "give me more" or "give me another treat" while I tried to "target train" Kiwi :rolleyes:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
What about handling them first thing in the morning before they've had a chance to eat? Then maybe those treats will be more interesting?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
If he is truly just 'exploring' it should feel more like a nibble than a bite. If it's a hard bite or even just a bite that hurts - then it's not an "exploratory bite" but rather a reactive bite.

Pro-active exploring (using the beak to climb, 'test' the safety of a subject before climbing onto it - including fingers/hands is fine - but again, should not feel like a bite).

Reactive biting is what should be discouraged.

bigbluemacaw

Oct 23, 2015
Migratory :-) But UK mainly!
Parrots
Hyacinth Macaw; 'Blue' (born July 2013)
Hi,

Owner biting seems quite common with the smaller Parrot species for some reason but seems less prevalent in the larger ones (Macaws especially).
I am not convinced this is behaviour is exploratory and there is a very high chance your bird quite likes the reaction (well the noise) and/or this is a dominance/pecking order as he/she attempts to gain the upper hand.

I absolutely agree with 'dropping them' and leaving them alone and any punishment like this needs to be fast (no delays). With Blue (who's much larger of course) I literally pick him up and carry him to his cage (fairly roughly so he knows I'm displeased) and plonk him in there, shut the door, close the curtains and leave him for 30 minutes telling him he's a bad boy! Then when I go and get him out again, I make sure I give him at least 10 minutes mega fuss and love (as I do still love him deeply) and then put him on my shoulder and take him around again (as positive reinforcement). The combination of rapid and uncompromising response followed by loads of love and cuddles once 'naughty time' is over seems to work.

You'll always get the odd squeeze/nip - Blue does a couple a day really but it's when it is repeated as you describe that you need to take swift and definitive action. Ultimately, if you really want to show your bird who's Boss, keep a towel to hand and when you drop him, parcel him up in it (so he can't bite) and put him in his cage a la example above!

Remember you are the boss - 'cos if not then you've got all hell coming your way in birdie birdie land!!

Good luck

Daddy and Blue

Last edited by a moderator:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Considering our parrots DO NOT work for us, we are not the boss of them. We are not even the same species of them, so we ARE NOT the "flock leader". In fact, in the wild, parrots do not have a flock leader. They are a family community, not some organization with leaders.

The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs.

Take that into consideration and let it sink in. It's possible to interact with parrots without getting bitten.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
It's quite obvious that there are differing opinions and viewpoints on this forum. As it should be. People should be given a vast array of knowledge in order to choose the best path or action for their particular situation.

Having said that, I have to strongly disagree with the idea of "dropping" a bird when it bites. Given that I respect others rights to view things differently and wish to remain that way, I'll leave it at that.

But I cannot disagree with 'dropping' a bird in any stronger terms. I seriously hope that those who do suggest it - sit back and think just exactly what that entails and what they are advocating. Are they willing to accept responsibility if a forum member does that and the bird hits the floor and breaks its neck or severely injures themselves?

I do think that is rather irresponsible advice, just my opinion.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
It's quite obvious that there are differing opinions and viewpoints on this forum. As it should be. People should be given a vast array of knowledge in order to choose the best path or action for their particular situation.

Indeed, that is one of the things I love about this forum! Lots of information, lots of varying opinions, and yet lots of love and respect for all of our fellow members, even when we don't always agree. :) That's such a rare trait to find on the internet, and one I really appreciate about this forum!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Understood - but you have to admit that 'dropping' is not the same as 'setting down' or even 'putting down'.

OP
MangoandKiwi

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Hey,

Thank you all so much everyone!
I had to let everything sink in a bit. I'm actually still very confused about what "dropping" entails. I don't think I could do it and hope Mango won't go further out in evil-birdie land.

The last few days I wore my sweater under my bathrobe so I can't really see/feel where and when he would bite too much (bc I don't feel a thing haha) I did pay close attention to him; he snacks on a treat after which he rubs his beak on my sleeve, grabs some fabric, moves it sideways in his beak and than takes another grab/mouth-full of fabric.

Today he did something really unexpected though. My husband was feeding Kiwi through the cage bars while Mango got out of the cage time with me. All of the sudden he jumps back on the cage, climbs to the side of the cage where my husband is feeding Kiwi.. so my husband offers him a treat as well and then all of the sudden he lunged! I'm not sure if he was "protecting" Kiwi or was being a birdie ass :(

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Agreed. And when he does get all the way to biting, say "No" and drop him on the floor and walk away.

@mangoandkiwi

Personally, I'd ignore the whole 'dropping' recommendation. Even if you manage to drop your bird and it lands safely, it's still going to be startled. My best advice to you is this - when your bird is being aggressive or biting - put him back in the cage and walk away. Best thing you can do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts