How to make a time away less stressful?

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
My wife and I are going to go away for Thanksgiving, for a WHOLE week our bird will be boarded at a bird Avery. It's a bit of a drive to get there, but I am just worried about the separation time.

I am sure he is going to think we abandoned him. :-( Would a shirt of ours be good to leave in the cage that we are renting out for him? What is some good idea's for my guy to be not so stressed or scared for the week we are leaving him in the care of others.

I have already did my research and informed the vet where my bird will be and informed them in case of emergency. They are highly recommended, so I am not worried.:42:

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
I left Chico for a week while I went to Hawaii and he was fine. He even learned how to make a kiss sound! I would say a week is fine I think they need a few days of separation so they don't get to attached.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He should be fine for a week worth of time. As long as he's got something in his cage that he's familiar with such as his favorite toy and such it would make him more comfortable.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I was quite worried when I adopted my galah that she would fret for her owner and freak out about being in a "strange place", but she just moved straight in. Obviously every animal is different, but hopefully she'll be just fine and won't fret. I wouldn't worry about her.

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks guys! I would take the bird with me on the trip but my whole family but my wife and I hate the bird. So it's not an option. :p

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I dropped him off today and he looked scared. His whole body seemed to be shacking a little. Is that normal, do they get the shacks like us when we are scared? I am sure he is fine, I am not worried.

I rubbed a sock (Clean) on my arm and hands for a day and I took his sleeping hut and put it inside the hut for him. I also put some toys in the cage along with some rope bridges. I don't think he will be taken out of the cage at all because he is a flighted bird. So he will be in the cage mostly, but it's for the best being I don't want him hurt by flying.

I did get to play with the Scarlet Winged Macaw they have for sale. I wish I had the money to buy him. He bite me (Pinch really), but just took it and told him no bite. He let go. Did draw some blood, but I still want him. Weird how something can bite you and you still want the animal. He is a sweet bird when he wants to be, he was being a pain today. Anyone want to donate $1600 to me so I can buy him? J/P :)

So off to Alabama for a week. Hope things go well, I am sure he will be fine. Oh and we are also getting him DNA tested! Should be fun! :p

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I was meaning to ask this question as well..but for me it'll be a longer period of time - 3 weeks *eeks* anyone ever do this and how did it pan out?

I know I'm going to be a nervous wreck the whole time though and miss her and our pup terribly!!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think you just need to trust those in whose care you are leaving them. I also leave authority for the carers to take them to the vet if they think it is warranted. I trust my vet. If there's a problem, I'm on the end of a phone, otherwise I just trust that all is fine (and it is). I've only ever boarded my budgies for a shorter period of time, (at the actual vet's) but they were fine. I was concerned that they would be stressed but it all seemed fine.

Most Reactions

Latest posts