How to make the ringneck I am taking care of more comfortable?

antkon

Jan 23, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Hello everyone, I need help with my ringneck Violet, which I am taking care of this week.
My girlfriend got him/her about 3 months ago but she had to leave country for a while.
I have to take care of him this week (we had to take him to my home which means change of environment).
So far he walked a bit in my house but after a while he went into his cage and hasn't left yet.
I tried slowly approaching him but he is hissing and threatening of biting so going too much near him is out of the question.
I played guitar to him which I think he enjoys because he is slowly closing his eyes when listening.
Talked to him and gave him attention as often as possible but not too much.
My main problem is how to make him more comfortable around my presence.
He doesn't even trust my girlfriend which he knows her for 3 months now, doubt he will suddenly trust me.
I've never taken care of a bird before so I only know what I have read online these days.
Tried finding millet to give to him but didn't find at the pet store, will try again tomorrow at a different one.
Thanks in advance.

TerryB

Jan 24, 2024
United Kingdom
Parrots
Male Indian ringneck (Roger) formally Raja, I'm rehoming him
Hi Antkon,
Maybe we are in the same boat.
My irp has been with me for three days, I got him 'Roger' to re-home him. Apparently he has never been out of his cage for 7 years but seems to be settling in at his new home until, I go nr the cage. I've let him settle for 3 days just talking quietly talking to him when feeding and cleaning but even moving nr his cage he starts to screech and flap.
I tried target training today he just looks scared and flaps to the other side of the cage . Maybe I should leave him longer to get used to his habitat, he has no problem eating and drinking ,I do varify his diet, fruit veg nuts seeds
etc. He came with a small bald patch on his crown don't know the cause. So I'm like you my friend, in need of good advice to carry on my adventure with a beautiful bird and companion. I've recently retired so have plenty of patience and time for my new friend.

OP
A

antkon

Jan 23, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Hi Antkon,
My irp has been with me for three days, I got him 'Roger' to re-home him. Apparently he has never been out of his cage for 7 years but seems to be settling in at his new home until, I go nr the cage. I've let him settle for 3 days just talking quietly talking to him when feeding and cleaning but even moving nr his cage he starts to screech and flap.
I tried target training today he just looks scared and flaps to the other side of the cage . Maybe I should leave him longer to get used to his habitat, he has no problem eating and drinking ,I do varify his diet, fruit veg nuts seeds
etc. He came with a small bald patch on his crown don't know the cause. So I'm like you my friend, in need of good advice to carry on my adventure with a beautiful bird and companion. I've recently retired so have plenty of patience and time for my new friend.
Hopefully we will get some help from more experienced bird owners. Good luck on your adventure.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello everyone, I need help with my ringneck Violet, which I am taking care of this week.
My girlfriend got him/her about 3 months ago but she had to leave country for a while.
I have to take care of him this week (we had to take him to my home which means change of environment).
So far he walked a bit in my house but after a while he went into his cage and hasn't left yet.
I tried slowly approaching him but he is hissing and threatening of biting so going too much near him is out of the question.
I played guitar to him which I think he enjoys because he is slowly closing his eyes when listening.
Talked to him and gave him attention as often as possible but not too much.
My main problem is how to make him more comfortable around my presence.
He doesn't even trust my girlfriend which he knows her for 3 months now, doubt he will suddenly trust me.
I've never taken care of a bird before so I only know what I have read online these days.
Tried finding millet to give to him but didn't find at the pet store, will try again tomorrow at a different one.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forums!

All I can say is, take your time. If you can’t find millet, you could try other seeds, though millet is a great option if you can find it.
Sitting near him and just getting him used to your presence is the best thing for him, and it sounds like you’re doing that already.
Hi Antkon,
I recommend you make a thread about your bird, that way you can get many more helpful responses on how best to help your bird!

OP
A

antkon

Jan 23, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Quick update.
He is a lot more comfortable now I think.
I took a fan heater since my house gets cold. He seems to enjoy the warmth.
He started going out of his cage a bit more, even if I am in the house and nearby.
He wasn't vocal at all but I put "indian ringneck parrot natural sounds" on youtube and he immediately started being more vocal.
He is still afraid of me but hopefully tomorrow we will make even more progress.
Also found a bigger cage which is on it's way.
Here is a pic of him puffed up and all.

Attachments

• 417275071_401240535809906_7306940566458393501_n.jpg
    417275071_401240535809906_7306940566458393501_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 6

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
You can have him associate you with good things by placing a treat in his food bowl every time you walk by... A treat that they get only when they're with you. I use Nutriberries :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts