Kylie and Kiwi

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hi, I bought a new 5 month old ringneck parrot and she was very scared when we got her. I bought her from a pet shop who told me that she did not have human contact and thus might be afraid but he said she was semi-tame. I think she was in a poor condition in regards to cage space and experience, and the guy handling her roughly did not help her fear.
However, one week in she is eating, drinking and even making sounds and even though she seems comfortable with me close to the cage without showing her my hands, at the small motion of my hand, which is not even directed towards her, she kind of flinches and moves away. People told me she is still young to be tamed so there is a chance to be bonded with me but some people say that ringnecks have a natural phobia of human hands?
Do you think she is old enough to be untame and not bond with me?
Thanks in advance

Methughous

Jun 23, 2023
Islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
Green indian ring neck parrot
No no she is just not used to it yet, keep trying she will come to you eventually. She will lower her walls soon 😅 once she get more familiar with her environment and home and people around her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No no she is just not used to it yet, keep trying she will come to you eventually. She will lower her walls soon 😅 once she get more familiar with her environment and home and people around her.
This isn't specific to IRN but I think most birds have an innate fear of human hands unless they are hand fed and handled a lot. Not all hand feeders actually handle their babies a lot- they don't hold them during syringe feedings. However, even the most handled hand fed babies can still show a dislike of hands. I hand raised my budgie Rocky, from hatching, held her while feeding, and cuddled and played with her a lot and she still doesn't like hands. It's not due to fear because Rocky is not afraid of anything, but she hates our hands and tries to bite them when we get into her personal space. But I have another hand raised budgie who never bites our hands.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
my birds HATE HATE HATE hands and quakers are pretty close to parakeets so maybe just let her know that the scary thing is not a threat

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ringnechs are notorious for being tough to tame and keep tame. Take things very gradually and do it daily -- thats crucial with them. A tame ring neck is a joy to have and be with but it takes more effort then some species to get there.

Always proceed at your parrots rate of progress and not your rate of expectations. You'll get there!

Most Reactions

Latest posts