How to prevent my cockatoo from biting my brother

Danikov

Feb 12, 2010
Lately,My parrot is very vicious to my brother and always his her "main target",This problem is realy annoying,My mom gets annoyed about that too,And She thinks the best solution is adoption,Just to get rid of her,I Want to make my parrot stop being vicious and bite my brother,Please help me,This is urgent.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Hi Danikov and welcome. Please tell me what knd of Too you have, male or female and if it's wings are clipped? Unfortunately, Toos sometimes see thier human counter parts as the enemy or mate and can treat both either way. Who is the Too bonded with? If it is you, it is trying to scare off the danger to you. It protects you by attacking you brother. How old is he, by the way? Does the Too go after your mom?
I am sorry for all the questions but I am trying to get some hitory. How long have you had it, how old is it? Was the past owner man or woman?
You may have to ground the Too by doing a wing clipping by an avian vet. This is for the safety of your brother. It's feathers will moult out and grow back.
This is also spring time and many birds, if the right age become hormonal. If you could describe a situation of when these attacks occur I can better help you with this behavior. Please try and answer my questions. Judy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
What greycloud said and.....
try to show your bird why bro isn't a threat. Like..... letting bro clean out cage and do his food. That way your too will get used to him being there. Make sure you supervise.

OP
D

Danikov

Feb 12, 2010
I Own a Female White Umbrella Cockatoo,And we didnt clipped her wings since we have her,Ill try greycloud's method,Thanks for the support :)
So what happens is that in the past they were friends they were realy close,when we got her out,she only took interest with him,but I Dont know what the heck happened causing her to bite him and being vicious to him,My brother is only 5,Almost 6,We tried to make him stroke her head But ended up as a painful bite :(

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Try letting your brother spend quality time with the bird alone.
Taking your brother's age into consideration, this procedure could take a long time.
Keep the bird in the cage, let him sit close by, just talking and singing to the bird.
Let the bird get used to him from a distance. Eventually the bird, will get used to his voice.
At a later stage, let your brother give the bird a treat through the bars of the cage.
Once the birds accepts treats from him, you will know that the bird is beginning to trust your brother. He must not attempt to touch or pick up the bird at all.
Take one step at a time. :)
Try the abovementioned and see how it goes.
When the bird accepts treats from him, let us know, we will guide you further.
Good luck, be patient.

OP
D

Danikov

Feb 12, 2010
I Agree that it would talk lot of time,Because his Shy and thinks were joking on him using this method,Well thanks!
I Will try that :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I Agree that it would talk lot of time,Because his Shy and thinks were joking on him using this method,Well thanks!
I Will try that :)

You most welcome.
If in doubt about anything, just ask.
We are not experts, just giving advise from personal experiences.
Members are always willing to give advise and tips. ;)

Last edited:

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
You are such a good brother. When I was younger I would have loved a parrot that constantly bit my brother but not me. I probably would have encouraged the behavior.

Most Reactions