Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
Since I started researching parrots I have learned to be very skeptical (well more so than I already was) about people posting ads online trying to sell them. Often, to an educated person, the scams are just screaming-in-your-face, hitting-you-on-the-head obvious, (for instance the ad I found the other day for two BG Macaws for only $750), but what about the ones where the scammers are clever? Any ideas on what to look out for?

The reason I'm asking is because I just found a guy selling blue-fronted amazons for $1500 hand raised. This is $300 cheaper than the cheapest I'd found, but I guess that doesn't mean it's a scam. He's also selling Bolivian Blue and Gold Macaws for $5000 each hand raised, but that seems normal. None of the pictures he used showed up in google images, but he doesn't DNA sex his birds before selling them (one reason he gave for the price), and he's not so great at spelling. Personally, with someone who's not good at spelling and is trying to sell me something, alarm bells go off. I know that's probably unfair, but it suggests to me they are ill-educated... He also said he doesn't get the birds vet checked and in ten years of breeding he's never had a complaint...

Anyway, any ideas on how to know if this is a scam (or if any other ads are scams)? Do you think this could be a scam? What questions should I ask?

OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Well there aren't as many bird rescues in Australia as there are in America and I'm not really sure I'm ready to take on a bird with potential behavioural problems - not when I'm still living with my parents. I'd love to one day, but not now.
Also I don't think he meant that he never takes his birds to the vet, I think it's just that he doesn't get the babies checked before selling them...

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I would be wary.....SB is right.

It's one thing with a cat or a dog (who's bills can also be huge) like my ill lil Boots. It's quite another paying such a large amount of money for a bird that could potentially die and AV bills are SO much higher.....

As for the scams, I believe there are 2 types. One is obvious, money up front as a deposit. I see no need for this personally, with any animal. SOMEONE will take the baby eventually. Secondly, those who are paid to collect email addresses and phone numbers so that companies can spam/cold call. In this instance, their IS no bird.

I had a couple of those in my search for Cal with email addresses. ;)

To save heartache all round, I would keep searching for someone who wants no money until you can see the bird, answers ALL the questions you have and even if the babies were a happy coincidence, can show at least show the required knowledge to rear babies.

For example, Cal's breeder was a lovely man. He answered every question and grilled ME too which I found reassuring.

He had all the time in the world for me and did offer to catch Cal so I could handle her. (No thanks, she was an aviary baby, she bit like a biting machine!!!)

The only thing was, he was a typical English breeder. The food he fed his birds wasn't as good as it could be(half cockatiel seed/half parrot mix with lots of lovely dangerous sulpher dioxide dried fruit and fungus filled peanuts!!). However, that is commonplace here. Aside from that, no complaints.

People don't have to be perfect, but if they can't answer what you're looking for then I really would leave it. It's not worth losing the bird and as much as we wish we were, none of us can afford to lose such large amounts of money on the offchance the bird will be healthy.

OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Yeah, good point Von. I already have a breeder lined up who I know is respectable. He has been great so far and answered all my questions. He's a member of the Australian Parrot Society and DNA tests, vet checks, everything. The only reason I've been looking at others is just in case he can't hold the bird for me if I'm too sick to buy it when it is ready. I'll stick with him and keep my fingers crossed that all goes well with my health so that I can buy my baby from him =]
If not, I have found another respectable breeder in a different state who is willing to freight to my state for an extra $100, but I am a little weary of freighting, even though I know they are a respectable breeder - I just feel it would be far too stressful to freight a bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts