How to tell if trees are safe

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
So I've been thinking on decorating my little parrots cage, but I've been having a bit of a issue :
A) it seems like she likes salty things - she enjoys licking / chewing on my lips (gently so I don't mind), tried to eat off my teeth (which I found.... Odd....), and likes to lick around saltier/greaser places of my faces (often around acne, I try to make her stop that though since its just gross) - face (nose mainly). I really don't know why she finds me so yummy, but it seems she does.
B) I can't figure out if our trees are safe! We live near the woods, so they shouldn't have pesticides, but the trees I have are :
Various types of willows (diamond willow usually), white & black spruce trees, alders, & birch. Alders are least common & spruce trees are everywhere. Oh, and we have fireweed - it's dying and rotten now, so I wouldn't feed it to her, but when they are new and fresh - safe?
She's a very weird bird, IMO, lol, but I want to make her happy.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
One of the best ways is to keep this link handy:

Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Vaden is a retired arborist that likes birds, so, the information on his site is up to date.....there's also this site:

Wood / Trees / Bushes Considered Safe for Birds

Most parrot information you read cautions against feeding salt to parrots...well, that information is not quite true...many of those prohibitions are based on old beliefs, because parrots do not sweat & do not pass salt like mammals do, but unlike this outdated information would have us believe, parrots do in fact need salt, though in moderation...all animals do.....

If you are prone to using makeup, creams, lotions and/or sanitizers, it is not a good idea to let your feathered friends lick your face and/or hands.....as to licking our lips, many people allow it and think it's cute, but the bacteria we humans carry is not the same bacteria that our feathered friends carry and some of ours could harm them.....

Good luck.....

Sorry Strudel, guess I was typing while you were posting.....

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
No worries, she more licks my face more then anything. Ill stop the kisses (btw, I did NOT appreciate her licking my teeth and made her stop) ^^
And no, I don't use acne cream or lotion or anything like that. Just water, :)

Thanks for sites, ill read up on them. Thanks!
:white1:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Wasn't referring to acne creams.....many people use astringents, cleaners, moisturizers, hand/skin creams, lotions, etc, heck, the number of things some people have in their beauty kits runs to several pages.....those are what I was referring to.....sorry.....

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Wasn't referring to acne creams.....many people use astringents, cleaners, moisturizers, hand/skin creams, lotions, etc, heck, the number of things some people have in their beauty kits runs to several pages.....those are what I was referring to.....sorry.....

No I just figured those would kill a bird very quick, they seem to filled with stuff that's meant to burn skin :rolleyes: . Why are you sorry?! :D

:white1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts