How we met a Cockatoo ......

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Alexandrine - Rio, Budgies - Blu and Tweety
A few weeks back we had gone to our local pet store to pick up dry food for Rio and the budgies. As we entered the store , my daughter screamed "Mumma Poppy.." and we were surprised to see a sulphur crested cockatoo...
This bird store has only budgies and love birds and this was the first time we saw a live cockatoo.
My daughter ran towards Mr.Cockatoo , who was not very amused to see a six year old jumping jack, waving a her toy at him and up came the yellow crest. My husband ran towards his only child so she would not loose her fingers . What happened next was unexpected...

Mr.Cockatoo climbed down towards husband and let out a raspy 'hello', crest down and 'I am the sweetest parrot in the universe' lookView attachment 16620

View attachment 16621

Husband was even allowed to give scritches :)

Mr.Cockatoo lifted his leg to step up and husband takes out his mobile to take a pic:)View attachment 16622

Mr. Cockatoo totally ignored me :rolleyes: and watched my daughter like a hawk.Husband still can't stop bragging about how a 'big' parrot chose him over me.

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
How exciting! Thanks for sharing the photos, Mr. Cockatoo is a beauty. Your daughter must have been delighted! Tell your husband to get over himself, the next bird you meet will like you better. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Awww, so cute. THat was a nice introduction for your daughter to cockatoos. At least it did not try to bite her.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Love those pics and the story. Cockatoos definitely have huge personalities!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Those big white cockatoos sure know how to work a crowd, huh? Adorable story and pictures.

Most Reactions