Human saliva

May 17, 2020
Hi I understand human saliva can be dangerous would taking to the bird near his water and food bowl be a problem or is it direct contact with the mouth. Thankyou

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
you can talk near the bowl, just don't sneeze on it, cough into it, or eat after your bird, or let them eat food you have been eating etc...you don't want to dip a spoon into something, eat it and then your bird eat from that same food (even if you use a different utensil, your spit is in there). Similarly, you don't want them picking at your lips or biting an apple you were biting...or drinking out of your drinks. It's not guaranteed to harm them if it happens, but it should be avoided as much as possible, due to the bacteria in our mouths....

If you want to be SUPER safe (because you have something you are worried they could catch), obviously there are airborne particles etc, but the risk is low unless you have something you know they can catch. A healthy bird won't get sick from a healthy person talking near their water.

Now, if I had strep or covid, I would not go talking over the water bowls..Covid, just because not enough is known..

Last edited:
OP
S
May 17, 2020
Birds can tolerate small numbers of Gram-negative bacteria, and certain strains of Escherichia coli and Enterobacter may be harmless. However, the presence of Gram-negative bacteria in large numbers is indicative of illness.

Found this online

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds can tolerate small numbers of Gram-negative bacteria, and certain strains of Escherichia coli and Enterobacter may be harmless. However, the presence of Gram-negative bacteria in large numbers is indicative of illness.

Found this online

Yeah, which is why they don't get sick every time, but they can. Not worth the risk IMO. I mean, IDK what's in my mouth, if COVID has taught us anything lol.
Another: https://birdtricksstore.com/blogs/b...is the most common,our mouths or our utensils.

and another from a vet website: http://www.exoticpetvet.com/parrot-precautions.html

I have never kissed my bird or let her eat after me, but she has gotten infections involving gram-negative bacteria, that, presumably involved me in someway, although that is hard to say for sure. You don't want them getting gram-negative bacteria in their systems..

I am not saying that it's a death sentence, but it should be avoided.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts