Humidity for DYH Amazon

tabritt

Oct 7, 2013
South Shore, Massachusetts
Parrots
Quaker (kiwi)
Double Yellow headed Amazon (PJ)
Hi,
Anyone happen to know what the ideal humidity percentage should be for an Amazon? First Winter with my new bird and my house gets real dry. I bought an obscenely expensive warm mist humidifier to keep him as healthy as possible but not sure what the ideal percentage should be? Any experts out there that happen to know?? Thanks in advance!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I think the ideal humidity level is between 40-60%... but of course, with higher humidity comes higher chance for mold.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yeah, i've lived where they live and chased them though the country side. 8-9 months out of the year (rainy season) it rains every day at about the same time, then for 3 months it doesn't rain a drop and every thing turns brown and drys up. 60-80% humidity is common except for zons living at "elevation" ,they would go higher up the mountain during the day and migrate down in the evenings. A steady humidity of 50 -60% would be fine. They can handle the changes but it could lead to hormonal responses, ie; dry season(low humidity) triggers breeding/hormonal issues. Cavity nesters will lose their eggs if it rains and they get wet. Also why males zons are aggressive , defending prized nest sites. Anyway, IMO you can't go wrong with high humidity and zons.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts