Hummingbird Nest

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
Today I discovered a hummingbird nest in our backyard on the lights that light up our patio. At first I thought it was an insect nest of some sort because there was little black stuff the size of a rice grain all over the beams of our patio. I read up and discovered this is actually hummingbird poop. Apparently they fling their poop so it does not end up in their nest.

There are two little hatched hummingbirds in the nest. I wish I could clean off some of the poop because it is so close to their nest and on the outside of their nest. I know better not to disturb the nest however I am worried the babies will get sick from all the poop near and on the outside of their nest. Is there anyway to clean some of the 💩?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good question, do you observe the parents nearby? Not sure their habits, whether they will tolerate humans nearby. If you do try removal, perhaps a toothpick or other small non absorbent item will flick it away.

OP
LauraC

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
Good question, do you observe the parents nearby? Not sure their habits, whether they will tolerate humans nearby. If you do try removal, perhaps a toothpick or other small non absorbent item will flick it away.

I did see one of the parents today come and feed them. It was so cool!

I am amazed by the amount of poop two little hummingbird babies can make. I think I am going to be too nervous to get close to the nest and the babies.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Just let it be?

The babies will be away soon enough and then you can scrub till you've had enough.

They fling the poop to keep the nest clean, and that is all that matters.
No way will they wade in it (being birds and flying a lot) and even then... poop does not kill.
(parasites etc in the poop may eventually, but dung is just innocent plantfood)

SammyAndyAlex

Sep 9, 2018
Parrots
Sammy - Jardines Parrot - Hatchday: 4.2.2014
Andy - Congo African Grey - Hatchday 6.12.2018
Alex - Congo AfricanGrey - Hatchday 19.1.2021
I'm not an expert, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt.

I think that leaving it be is the best option.
If you were to try to clean it and the parents would notice and maybe abandon the nest, you'll probably feel bad and the babies would starve.

Nature is still nature and if the babies die due to some soft of an infection, that's just survival of the fittest. They are "just" wild animals, and IMO should be left alone.

Again, this is just what I would do. Feel free to do whatever you feel like is right.

Most Reactions