Hurricane Sandy. French toast and egg sandwiches anybody?

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
It's raining a bit harder now. We brought our outdoor cat inside. She is sitting at the backdoor growling. The birds are behaving themselves. Carlisle was screaming earlier when rain started lashing at the windows.

Be safe everybody and keep us updated about what is happening in your neck of the woods.

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Update: I went to fill the main bathroom's bathtub in case we lost power tonight. It only takes one branch falling on the lines, or one car crashing into a pole to knock our power out and I happen to like being able to flush the toilet. Anyways, I had Carlisle with me and he was hiding down the front of my shirt. As soon as I started the water he started making excited, happy noises. He wanted a bath. :p My entire family took showers earlier tonight in case it would be our last chance for awhile. I guess Carlisle knew he needed to bathe in case we lost power for a prolonged period of time, lol.

Carlisle with water drops on his feathers.
281048_3991574511300_724393530_o.jpg

Pretty boy after his bath.
57431_3991570511200_992318761_o.jpg

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I got a day off on tommorow and Tuesday, my dads appointment got canceled, he's a architect and he was going to meet a client in New York city but he had it cancels. Way too dangerous for somebody on the road. Do you think the hurricane will affect Halloween ? My mom wanted to open the slide door for some " fresh air " and BAM . A huge wind blew all of of our papers around the living room. We are expecting the hurricane at midnight but it's like it just started.LOL HE'S SO CUTE ! He wants to make his feathers a ll shiny in case it will be a week in case of his next spa appiontment

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Ugh, I hope it doesn't stick around to ruin Halloween. It is my FAVORITE holiday. I have plans to go over my friend's house. She lives near a lake :eek: and I'm hoping they don't have any flooding issues. I wanted to play stupid games like "Pin the tail on the cat" and do some stupid drinking games while watching really bad horror/halloween movies. (sure, we do this year round... but having the "oh it was Halloween" excuse makes it a lot less embarrassing rather than admitting we play dumb games no matter the day.)

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Update: it's 522am. My father had to go to work. The county we live in didn't declare that nonessential vehicles couldn't be on the road. I think Delaware did and the county above us did. I can't sleep now because he's out in this. It's really windy and very rainy. Oh, budgies had me up at 330 when they both freaked out in their cages flapping and screaming. I had to calm then down before i could go back to bed. About 20 minutes ago I woke up with a huge cramp in my leg. I got out of bed to walk it off, walked past the bathroom and saw the door closed and when I opened it, the outdoor cat was in there. She had peed on the rug. Thanks mom for locking her in there. Nothing like having to do laundry at 515 in the morning. I hope the washing machine wakes her up :mad:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm in Baltimore, schools cancelled for tomorrow, eastern shore getting hammered, but more worried about beach house in Stone Harbor, NJ... my son goes to school in Philly, he has Monday and Tuesday off~ those of you effected, have you noticed a change in behavior in your birds? Remington seems very quiet today~ not a bad thing!

Stay safe Triordan. We're having pretty strong winds and lots of rain here already.

Yes, my birds have been acting differently. I'm sure it's a combination of them feeling my anxiety over this storm + the barometic (sp?) pressure changing.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
One of my budgies Pepsi did somthing that made me wonder, this was the first time he sung a song in his loudest voice . Usually sprite is the more vocal one but Pepsi was screeching , chirping like a maniac now all of a sudden he is silent . Weird. Just wanted to check if everybody is okay, how was your morning ? The storm is expecting to hit Long island in the evening and there's already 20,000 power outages and the storm isn't even here yet.

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Fingers cross for all of you that have Sandy coming in your way.
I hope you all will be safe! <3

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXvBPGi8sEc&list=UU4D480bica5POErOA8G1lpw&index=1&feature=plcp]Only rain - YouTube[/ame]

This is what it looks like outside my brother's bedroom window. My birds finally settled down for their afternoon snooooooze, so I didn't want to interrupt them. My father's store sent him home at 11am this morning. It took him 30 minutes to get home from a place that normally takes about 10-15 minutes. Some of the roads near us are flooding. We should get the worst of it tonight. The news was saying the eye of the storm is about 150 miles off the coast of New Jersey.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
We are worried that since our nieeborhood was built in the middle of the woods pine trees and maples are everywhere . Wish I could make a video from the living room window.i thought it was impossible for trees to bend but I was proved wrong . Our trees are swaying around like a swing.

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
We are worried that since our nieeborhood was built in the middle of the woods pine trees and maples are everywhere . Wish I could make a video from the living room window.i thought it was impossible for trees to bend but I was proved wrong . Our trees are swaying around like a swing.

My backyard is like that. Our neighborhood was basically plopped in the woods. That's what we're most worried about is the trees. Our neighbor likes to mess with his yard and dig **** up with big pieces of equipment he rented. We're afraid that what he did this summer may have messed with the giant tree he has in his backyard. It's the tallest tree in the immediate area and could easily fall onto our house or his.
This tree is at least 100 years old.
P1020825.jpg

The tree on the very left side of the picture is the old one he was digging near this summer.
P1020824.jpg

The shed is dwarfed by the trees.
P1020820.jpg

Our backyard is about 75% trees and they're tall trees. Thankfully they were just trimmed up last year. All the nasty dead branches are gone.
P1020779.jpg

The slow steady rain is what's bothering me now. It's enough to saturate the ground and tonight when the strong gusts happen it can take down the trees because the ground is soft. That's what I'm concerned with. :(

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Riio, thank you :) I love our yard.

Birdlover11, we used to get lots of deer in the past, not so much in recent years. My neighborhood consists of two small streets and the street behind mine is even more so in the woods than mine and they always have deer. My best friend lives on that street and says they come right up to the backdoor and look in. We get ducks in our pond that my father built. We have a lot of frogs too. There are 2 streams to either side of our neighborhood so we get a lot of water lovers in our yard. The neighborhood is on a hill and the streams are in a small gully so we don't really fear any flooding of the house. We do have possums and skunks LOL they eat the outdoor cat's food. OH! We also have a raccoon that washes his hands-er-paws in her water dish before eating her food.

As I'm typing this I'm watching the trees blow around like nothing and the rain is going sideways too.

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
I've been calling the East Coast for my job all morning and people keep asking "why did you go to work today!? There's a hurricane!" Uhm...yes silly people there is but not where I'm at. Would you like to donate to help the vietnam vetrans/national hildren center/ those effected by lupus? :p

I hope you're all doing ok with the hurricane. If I were closer, I'd offer a safe place for your birds. You just might not get them back :p keep us posted everyone and STAY SAFE!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
the rain stopped a little bit but im really really worried about the trees near (in ) our yard. as i told you these are giant pines and mapels. i just saw the news and it said that long island is getting the purple area which is where the worst of the hurricane is. im getting tensed and so are my budgeis. we have LOTS of deer, turtles, crows,ravens,snakes. once theyre was a deer in our backyard feeding on the grass.

OP
Customcasket

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
I've been calling the East Coast for my job all morning and people keep asking "why did you go to work today!? There's a hurricane!" Uhm...yes silly people there is but not where I'm at. Would you like to donate to help the vietnam vetrans/national hildren center/ those effected by lupus? :p

I hope you're all doing ok with the hurricane. If I were closer, I'd offer a safe place for your birds. You just might not get them back :p keep us posted everyone and STAY SAFE!

Sheesh. What's wrong with you going to work when there's inclement weather somewhere in the world? They just closed where I work which makes me feel better. Everywhere else needs to close now. They need to stop giving people the excuse to go out. If they have nowhere to go then hopefully they won't leave their house. The eye of the hurricane is now 68 miles off the coast. I hate that it's going to be dark when we're going to get slammed. Irene was the same way and there were tornadoes popping up all over NJ and it was nighttime.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
the rain has been coming down hard all day, and now the winds are really picking up, why can't this happen when it's light outside?? URG~ Oh and western Maryland is going to get slammed with a blizzard all of this because of a hurricane

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Don't forget you've got loads of friends just a few hours south of you on I-95.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Wind started up here in the afternoon with increasing gusts in the early evening. Power went off for about 30 seconds as I was in the middle of fixing dinner. The birds don't seem bothered but the cats...Oliver especially seems a bit unnerved by the wind and all. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be worse I think I heard? And yeah, I second the "why does the nasty stuff happen after dark". Seems to ALWAYS be the way.

I hope everyone in affected areas are safe and praying there's not the widespread power outages they have predicted.

Most Reactions