Hurt wing

Rambosmother

May 31, 2019
My Quaker has cataracts and missed his cage while flying and smacked the floor. I didn't know he would do this since he doesn't fly anymore. But now I learned the hard way. His wing was drooping, he was shivering and listless. I freaked out and took him to vet ASAP. Looks like a sprain or bruised wing. Vet could not see any actual breaks. Gave him an injection of Onsior. Said it would last a week. It's a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. It's a wait and see if he improves. Is there anything I can do to speed up healing???:31:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
The only thing you can do is try and keep him quiet really. Just think of how you would treat a sprained ankle. Keep off of it as much as possible. So try to keep him from using the wing as much as is possible.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not that it matters much at this point, but it is more likely that the Wing was hurt as it clipped something on the way to the floor. Hitting the floor common results in damage to the legs and chest.

But, as stated above, recovery is a time on time thing and there is nothing that is going to speed it up.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Was he clipped? Birds don’t just stop flying “any more” like you said.

I’m only asking for educational purposes here for all members.

My YNA was “clipped” fairly recently...6 or so months ago...but managed to fly a perfectly level flight across the entire house, smashing into the patio door. So he’s going to the vet next week for another clipping.

Look, even freshly and fully clipped...cataracts or not...a bird can hurt himself like this, even during a very short flight/jump. So don’t feel like you did anything wrong.

But if not clipped, after he recovers, please do so.

OP
R

Rambosmother

May 31, 2019
Thanks for the great replies. This board is awesome. His wings are not clipped. I should have said he no longer flies around and it's most likely because he can't see very well. So he is able to fly just hasn't in a long time. So he took me off guard when he tried to fly to his cage and missed. I believe he must have hit the cage with his wing and injured it that way. So even if clipped he still would have tried to fly and hit his wing on the cage. He is the joy of my life. 26 years old and had him all this time. He is doing much better today and chatting up a storm.

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Glad to hear that he is improving. An injury like this will probably take a little longer to come good with such a senior fellow. I know for myself that something I could shrug off in 24hrs as an 18yr old lingers for days for me now and I'm only in my mid 40's

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the great replies. This board is awesome. His wings are not clipped. I should have said he no longer flies around and it's most likely because he can't see very well. So he is able to fly just hasn't in a long time. So he took me off guard when he tried to fly to his cage and missed. I believe he must have hit the cage with his wing and injured it that way. So even if clipped he still would have tried to fly and hit his wing on the cage. He is the joy of my life. 26 years old and had him all this time. He is doing much better today and chatting up a storm.

Consider a Web Search for: Handicapped Parrots /Handicapped Birds. Within that search, you will find discussions regarding limited to blind Parrots and recommended support for their care. Commonly, this involves changes to their cages and your home that will help them.

Generally, one suggesting is to enhance the lighting in the area your Parrot is most active. Consider upgrading to LED, daylight, dimmable bulbs. Look for 'long life' bulbs, they are more expensive, but a cost to service hours support their purchase. The lighting of LED, daylight series will help your Parrot.

FYI: Consider replacing your light switches with dimmers as you will want to adjust the light level prior to bedtime for everyone!

Most Reactions

Latest posts