Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Two parakeets. Kindle and Charlie
Alright I said I would be getting a senegal as my next bird. Now I can't decide between a senegal and cockatiel. Witch one do you think has a better and easier training ability an witch one do you think I should go with???:D:):):D:)

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Well what is your previous bird history ?
Why do you personaly like each species ?
What do you want from the bird as far as personality , playfulness , noise level etc etc
what Is you weekly time commitment to the bird ?

A bit more background info we may be able to help more

OP
Birdieboy

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
I have had experience owning two parakeets(at the same time). The thing I like about the cockatiel is they have a personality like Ooo Shiny. The thing I like about senegals is the boxy tail. Also the size. From a new bird I would like to be able to train it fast and have it remember the things I teach it. I want a bird that will be a good companion for me. I am twelve years old if that helps. I love Parrots.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Birdieboy
You want to train the bird quickly, and he must remember it. A bird is not something that can be trained quickly. Whether training a bird to do tricks, or to talk, it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort. You would be highly disappointed if the bird you got did not ever talk or do tricks, what would then happen to the bird?
As this point in your life, how much time are you willing to offer a bird, besides the general upkeep, vet visit, food, and toys.
Being a guardian requires a tremendous amount of responsibility, I have read all your previous posts, I am sorry to say, I personally feel, you are not knowledgeable and mature enough yet. My suggestion, wait a few years, until you are ready, to become a guardian. In the meantime, remain on the forum, chat to members, read and research as much as you possible can.
To help you along read the link below.

Parrot pictures, parrot picture, parrot photos and parrot care! Parrots information on parrot cage, parrot food, parrot toy, as well as parrot information on parrot behavior, pet parrot care, and parrot disease.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
When I read your post what I see is all sentences with I as in pertaining to you. I want I want

Being a guardian for a bird is about what the bird needs not what you need. It requires a great deal of time and money and energy and patience. I bird is not a wind up toy that will perform tricks you teach it just for the fun it it. You may not want to hear this but I suggest you wait until your are a little more mature and able to accept the true responsibility of bird guardianship.

OP
Birdieboy

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Okay thanks guys. I gues I wasn't thinking about what the birds need. But you said I wasn't right and mature enough yet to handle gaurdianship of birds. Since I am not do you want me to sell my birds. I am trying to think what is best for them now. I have two parakeets.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Birdieboy, we know you have parakeets, what we were trying to get across to you is more birds for you at your age would be a huge mistake. No one is saying you must sell your birds. How long have you had the parakeets for?
Are you aware you can train parakeets?
Below is a fantastic link telling you all you need to know about parakeets, their upkeep, their diet, etc and how to train them.

Want to train your budgie or even teach him to talk? Several methods and lots of advice can be found below

The Budgie and Parakeet Place - Care, Training, Pictures and More

If you not training them already, and start, please keep us posted with their progress

Last edited:

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010
21yrs young ;)
Just because a bird breed says it can be quickly trainned does not mean you will get one that is that way inclined

Look how many talking capable birds have never said a word
water loving species where their birds won't touch the water

Each and every bird is different
I think you should but more effort into working with the birds you already have and bringing out the best in them rather than trying to buy that in a new bird

My parakket is 21 yes old and still learning
in the last week I have taught him spin , dance and to be comfortable while I hold his wings up
he has also learned to say hello pheonix and pretty boy just In the last few weeks from me saying it to my baby Alex

Don't put your birds in the 2 hard basket just because your not getting the instant results you want

Trust and training take many years to build

OP
Birdieboy

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
I have had them for about a year. I have had one of them trained to step up pretty well but now they both runaway from me when I try to get them. I do not know what happened. I know alot about training but everything I know has not worked. I am extremely confused. Pheonix could you help me. I have some questions since you have managed to train your parakeet. Will you help me and answer my questions?

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010
21yrs young ;)
I can try ! My guy is very old and very placid so training him has been more about patience than anything else
Mikki will go to anyone , step up perfectly everytime and is happy to be stroked ( just not head scrathes or wings up (which we are working on )
I have only had him 2 months or so

But I'll help with what I can
perhaps we can learn together as I have alot of training planned for my little pheonix

OP
Birdieboy

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Thank you. That sounds amazing. Would you like to talk about the training subjects through private messages or in a new thread?:D

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Why don't you do it in a thread...I'd love to read it as well.:)I LOVE Budgies, and find that they are as smart, (maybe smarter) than many of the larger birds.

Have a look...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN_dtP2i-w]YouTube - Fun with Budgies[/ame]

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010
21yrs young ;)
Sharon that was awesome thankyou !
These aren't parrakeets ( budgies ) that we are training but they are on the smaller ( not as clever , si everyone thinks ) side of the bird scale
we are going to flick ideas back AND forth and see what works then will post results
so patience please we will keep you updated

Most Reactions