I couldn't resist...

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
As most of you know I went to a bird show this past weekend with my bird breeder friend. She needed some help with the eight hour drive and setting up the booth when we got there. Anyway in an attempt to keep this story short I'll skip most of the details...

My breeder friend had a friend pass away 3 months ago. The woman who passed away was young and the details surounding her death are still unknown to me. The woman had been married to a wonderful (non bird man). She had quite a collection of "loser" birds. Splay legged birds, plucked birds, older than dirt birds, and wild and terrified birds. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but she had 40 birds and most of them would be a full time job in itself. She had health problems and things went a little downhill from there. From what I understand and what we saw at her home, the birds were very loved and had the uttmost that money could buy. Anyway, the husband was not able to keep them all, so he chose 3. That he could keep and love and he brought the rest to our booth at the bird show to see if we could rehome them. This is where I start to feel sick....

There were 40 birds and they all found homes and the rehoming fees were very low (The grand total in rehoming fees off of 40 birds was $635. That was including the sale of the cages, etc...)

The booth was swamped and it was a mess trying to sort through people looking for "cheap" birds. The entire thing makes me sick....

I don't blame my breeder friend or even the husband.... We were left holding the bag, and it was just a mess...

Anyway among the 40 birds were 2 in particular....

A padagonian conure (older than dirt and splay legged)
A wild caught umbrella cockatoo (imagine the worst cockatoo you can and multiply it by 10)

Not long into the day I glanced over and noticed the umbrella looked horrified...

I walked over to my bird breeder friend and the husband and said "I'll give you anything you want for that umbrella if we can just put him in the vendors area and cover the poor things cage".

I also made a phone call to the girl watching my farm and birds and said "I want you to consider a special needs fragile padagonian conure". Well the friend didn't even need to see the conure.... she said she trusted my judgement and would be more than happy to take on spoiling the little conure.....

So I got home this morning and introduced her to her new conure..... I was right :D. Love at first sight on both ends.... This will be her second bird and she has debated a second for 2 years because she wanted it to be a special bird...

Now back to the umbrella....

I have named er Phoebe. She is bigger than my other umbrellas, and the same size as my moluccans. She has NEVER been tamed or touched without a towel. She was mistaken for a male for most of her life and paired with other territorial females. I have a long road to travel with Phoebe, and I'm hoping to get her to calm down enough and learn to trust enough so we may be able to find her a home down the road (I can't keep them all :( ) We'll see how she progresses, and when the time comes if any of you are close by perhaps you can see if (at that much later date) she might be the bird for you...

For now, Phoebe is safe and calming down nicely watching me play with the other 'toos in the aviary. She now looks me in the eye and let's me reach in the cage to grab bowls.... We'll see what tomorrow holds for Phoebe...

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
Thank you for stepping up to the plate to help those birds. Glad to know you took in your foster cockatoo. She is in good hands now. Hope to see before and after pics (hint hint). I will enjoy following along with her progress.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I think perhaps I'll do photos and a detailed before and after of her physically and emotionally and that way you can sort of watch how I deal with each thing and how she responds.... Starting tomorrow. (Birds are already in bed).

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
You're a birdie saint <3 I want to do what you do when I finally have the time, experience and space to care for such wonderful creatures <3

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
Thank you! I think many of our members new and old can learn alot from following along with this bird. I know i am ready to see how you work with a rehab bird. Everyone does it different and i might learn some new stuff. Do you have any ideal how old she is?

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
I'll make some calls about her band tomorrow when I have time.... but from what I did piece together she is at least 40.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Thank you so much for all you do for these precious birds!

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
She is a older lady but still young enough to enjoy a new lesh on life. Thank you again. I am sure she will let you know she is thankful in her own way soon too.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
You certainly have a most interesting life! Good job!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
You are amazing, I am glad that we get to watch the progress you make with this little lady! She is lucky that you helped your friend out that day. Can't wait for pictures!

Lacey

Oct 24, 2011
South Dakota
Parrots
Reno~Umbrella Cockatoo
I can only come up with one word for you through my tears of joy. Amazing! It doesn't even seem to begin to describe you! I can't wait to follow your posts! You are truly a inspiration!

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Phoebe is almost impossible to photograph, she is fearful and clings to the back of the cage. Her toenails are terrible, and she needs to be bathed and preened also. First step will be to do one more terrifying thing.... catch her and groom her. Afterwards I am going to start her on avicalm and wait to see how she reacts. I will start by keeping my presence to a minimum.... only during morning and night so she can get use to seeing me in and out performing chores. I am keeping her with only a few other very tame 'toos. If I have to catch another bird while she's watching it needs to be a bird that comes directly to me.... I will not let her see other birds I'm working with. She is currently in the house and she is severely underweight... I imagine from being too afraid to calm down enough to eat. So she will be disturbed only at 7am, and then again at bedtime for now. She needs to feel confident enough to calm down and eat.
IMG_20111115_081100-1.jpg

IMG_20111115_081048-1.jpg

This is the conure...
IMG_20111115_080920.jpg

Last edited:
OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
I am heading to my friends house today to pick up a large macaw cage.... I am going to put her in a cage where she can get very high above my head. This should help her feel more confident, and then I'll work on any dominance problems that arise at a later date.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
this has been a great thread to read! and phoebe looks amazin and the little conure

and i am sure they will both do well :)

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
Poor babies look to be very unhappy. Thank you for the pics. It is nice to know they are in great homes.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Fyi...

The birds were disease tested almost 2 months ago by the husband per our request, and she was taken to our vet yesterday for additional assessment. I also sent throat and vent swabs to avianbiotech for culture and sensitivity testing. Otherwise I would have her in quarantine. But at this point I know that she isn't carrying any major diseases, so now we'll just double check for low grade infections (non contageous to my other 'toos). Didn't want you thinking that she didn't see a vet, etc..

Vet said...

1) Underweight
2) swelling in ear canal... no parasites and appears to be stress related (I run into this with 'toos all the time)
3) Feces appear clean and healthy
4) Throat looks clean and swab showed no gram positive or gram negative bacteria.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
It pains me to think of the world from Phoebe's perspective.... She has been bounced around from one scary human with a cage after another... I'm quite upset that no one took the time to teach her that she was safe.

I gave her some almonds this morning and I was just watching her from the bird room camera and she is finally eating and looking around at the other 'toos.

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
I knew you had gotten her seen of you would have never put her near your other birds but thank you for posting the vet findings. It is hard to think of what all she has been through in her 40 years. I am sure most could not even imangine how hard of a life she has had. But with correct handling of her care she will come around because they are so forgiving.

Neravas

Nov 11, 2011
Media
Wisconsin
Parrots
Blue Crowned Conure (Codex)
thats amazing, i wish i had the time or the patience for such a task. Im glad to hear you are going to help her out. So many birds are misunderstood and suffer for it

Most Reactions

Latest posts