I don't need more stress!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Unfortunately it's the hot water heater. I have the hot disconnected right now and turned it off. I do have my cold water back so at least I can flush the toilet and wash my hands and stuff like that. My neighbors have offered to help me tomorrow get a new one down there and get the old one out of the way. I just knew it wasn't a frozen pipe though. I've never had pipes freeze down there.

I got divorced 13 years ago and a bad flood had ruined the old heating system. I didn't have money to put a new one in at the time and the wood burner ran day and night for 2 winters and no pipes froze. And 3 years ago we had a 3 day power outage in really awful cold temps with -40F wind chills and no pipes froze.

I've been worried about that hot water heater anyway because I last replaced it in 98 and that's a long time with sulpher water! I just wish it had lasted another month or two, but that's the breaks.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've got the new hot water heater installed. Just waiting for the glue to dry for the plumbing (CVPC). Then can turn the water on to it, hope for no leaks and get started filling it up, and getting it heated. I need a shower soooo bad!

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
I hope it does not take too long and when it does work i hope you take a nice long hot shower it sounds like you deserve it after all that maybe a bubble bath even with a nice cup of hot tea

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I just read this today....that's horrible!!!! I hope everything gets better!!!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
The operation was a success! And I guess I sort of learned a new skill today. Although I know how to do plumbing and I'm decent with electric so it was a combination of those. Things are looking up now!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ah, that was such a nice shower! And the horses are used to getting warm water to drink in the winter so they were much happier last night as well. I was worried when they didn't drink much the first time I gave them the cold water.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Yay! I'm glad everything worked out in the end. I've dealt with in-house floods due to a burst pipe once and a burst well pump filter another time. NOT FUN. Glad you're back up and running, though! :)

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It isn't the only water disaster I've had, it just happened to be a particularly bad one because it took me so long to notice. And a bad time due to all the money I had just spent on my med bills and for the animals. I knew that thing had to be getting on it's last legs. It lasted way too long for a house with water like mine. When I told my mom she just said, well, you told me a couple months ago you thought it would be the next thing to go. Yeah, I predicted it. I just didn't expect it to put hundreds of gallons of water in the basement, lol!

I've replaced a few well pumps, that's for sure. And when I first bought the house it had mostly copper plumbing. Sulfur eats right through metal. So as a young, new homeowner with no plumbing experience, I had to learn quickly, and I replaced it all with CVPC and Pex.

Well, 2012 got off to a bad start for me. I hope the rest of the year goes better!

Most Reactions

Latest posts