I feel awful right now...

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
I've had Kaila for a while now so I thought it was time to introduce her to misting. I brought Oz along because I figured he was used to it and there's usually no problem about it for him so maybe she'd learn by example. Except this time he flew off and when he took off she panicked.

I tried to catch her since, unlike Oz, she hasn't realized mirrors aren't open space and had already smacked into it once. I saw Oz on the floor close by so I was careful not to step on him but I still stepped on the very tip his tail. I really only felt about half an inch of softness and figured he was fine when I quickly took my foot off. I quickly got Kaila back and when I turned around I was horrified to see a bunch of feathers on the floor and a completely tail less Oz sitting near them*.

I could have sworn I only stepped on the tip for less than a second but he even lost some of the short feathers near his butt!

I feel so terrible about this. I just finished crying my eyes out and cuddling him to my chest... He's stuffing his little face with millet for now and just begged me for some head scritches so he seems fine and there was no blood.

He doesn't seem to be scared or mad at me but still...

How quickly will his tail grow back and could it affect his relation with Kaila? (Could she try to attack him for it etc) And what precautions should I take until he's better?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
He was already startled so he probably dropped the tail himself when he felt something on his tail. Its a defense mechanism and natural. I doubt you pulled them out or anything:)

I accidentally did this to my male cockatiel Dante. He startled and when I turned around to pick him up stepped on his tail and he dropped them all in his fright.

KayJeanne518

Mar 10, 2014
It's possible he could have lost some of the feathers when he flew and hit the mirror (if I read correctly). They will grow back so not to worry. I don't think it will affect the relationship between oz and kaila as these things happen and they weren't seriously injured. I wouldn't put them together for their bathes as usually if something spooks one bird to cause it to freak out and fly it will trigger the other bird to do so as well. Try to keep blinds or curtains closed while they are out and perhaps a sheet or blanket covering the mirror so if they do happen to do that again they wont think its an opening and fly into it. I had my baby tiel do that a month ago on his first flight and he suffered a minor concussion. Its very scary so I do whatever I can to make it safe for them incase they get a freight and fly.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
He'll be fine! He'll be growing his feathers back immediately, although it can take a few weeks or so before they are fully grown.

Accidents like that happen. He had a "fight or flight" response, and unable to get away, he "dropped" his tail feathers. Kind of like how some species of lizards can lose their tail and grow it back! Same concept!

Oz may have some difficulty flying (since tails are like a rudder), but other than that, he should be ok! And there shouldn't be any issues between him and Kaila simply because he's missing his tail feathers!

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
It's possible he could have lost some of the feathers when he flew and hit the mirror (if I read correctly). They will grow back so not to worry. I don't think it will affect the relationship between oz and kaila as these things happen and they weren't seriously injured. I wouldn't put them together for their bathes as usually if something spooks one bird to cause it to freak out and fly it will trigger the other bird to do so as well. Try to keep blinds or curtains closed while they are out and perhaps a sheet or blanket covering the mirror so if they do happen to do that again they wont think its an opening and fly into it. I had my baby tiel do that a month ago on his first flight and he suffered a minor concussion. Its very scary so I do whatever I can to make it safe for them incase they get a freight and fly.

Kaila's the one who flew into the mirror. It's the reason I went after her first since I knew Oz would calm down as soon as he landed (and knows that mirrors aren't open space) and wait for me to pick him up but I stepped on the tip of his tail in my effort to get to Kaila quickly. He really lost them all after I stepped on the tip of his tail.

Thanks for the answers guys, I really do hope they grow back in quick. I still feel awful thought... Lesson learned. From now on, bath time will be separate.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Faster than you think, and like the others mentioned, it is not as big a deal to him as it is to you! But yup, this just serves to remind you why owning birds is so often compared to having permanent toddlers around!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Would be great to see the images, but it appears as if they are in your e-mail, which is private to you only!

Can you upload the images into the album here or into an image hosting website? (Photobucket is pretty good!)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Your bird seems to have already gotten over it. So you need to let it go.

Stuff like this happens from time to time. They grow back. As long as the bleeding is stopped.

Sheryl

Apr 1, 2014
Seabrook, Texas
Parrots
Beeper CAG, Maui Lu B&G, Mi Hijo GW
and Bergie my little BFA in Rainbow Bridge
Here's a hug. I know how you feel. My little CAG is always under foot because he can't fly and we've had a few mishaps. In fact he learned how to say "Are you ok?!!!"

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine can fly. He's just THAT CLUMSY... He knows the same sentence.

Stupid bird once got spooked while sitting out front in our tree one day, and flew off. And don't ask me how, but he managed to fly straight and level into the side of the second story of our neighbor's house across the street, bounce off, and flutter to the ground...

And he had the nerve to look surprised! Like, who put that house there? Or gee, that thing was taller than it looked from the tree...

Mishaps and parrots happen...

Most Reactions