I feel like I made a big mistake

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
My handtame pineapple gcc named Button has always been eager to learn. A little timid but started stepping up on her own.
Recent I got an untame 12 week old yellow sided gcc named Loki.
The two liked each other immediately.. and I made the mistake of letting them be house together after feeling bad for Loki. He would cry and cry and spend all day in the corner of his cage closest to Buttons cage. Once it was bedtime, he would shriek for Button.
When I put them together we had no problem at all.. but recently, Button has no interest in me. Button runs from me just like Loki does.
Is all hope lost? Have I lost Buttons friendship?
Should I just continue to try handtaming Loki?
I'm going to separate them again, keep handtaming Loki, and start all over with Button. depressing really.
I feel like it would be best to just ignore it and enjoy their company either way. I almost gave Loki away but I felt like Button would be confused and sad :(
I knew this could happen but I felt like I knew better.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I have a pair of GCC's who are bonded, and don't care for me... If I try to handle them, they will bite... So.. I don't... They're happy to come out of their cage by themselves and fly around the house... They'll normally seek me out... They'll fly to my shoulder, arm, head, and when they've had enough they go back into their cage... I love to see them fly - They're so gorgeous...

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
They sure have bonded with each other...
I feel it would be unfair to separate them, as they seem happy together.

I suggest leave them be and enjoy them, at their happiest.

g0512.gif

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
They sure have bonded with each other...
I feel it would be unfair to separate them, as they seem happy together.

I suggest leave them be and enjoy them, at their happiest.

g0512.gif

Aye.

I've my Rusty and Scooter in the same cage as well.

Both have kept their bond to me, but when together they are a bit more feisty. I've to bribe them with treats as they otherwise won't perch on my finger of their own accord. Individually they still do, but after a while one calls out for the other and then the whole gang starts to call back and forth, including Rosie - the one who hates Rusty and vice versa...

Trust can and will be regained over time, but it will take time and understanding their body language. And lots of yummy treats. But it can work out to mutual advantage...

Most Reactions