I have some baby cockatiels! Have some questions

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Chances are your just not seeing the father feed them because cockatiels share in the feeding of their babies. As for the mother not being able to feed them all as long as the mother is eating I will guarentee she's eating enough for everyone. If one of them was going to starve it would have happened by now. Hand feeding can be extremely dangerous for first timers you can kill the babies a lot easier than the mother because her food is always the perfect temperature you can easily burn a crop (which WILL kill them) handfeeding or cause an impacted crop where the food is not being digested and is stuck in the crop and becomes hard. You can overfeed and streatch out a crop. There is also something called sour crop all of these are caused by handfeeding. The parents are more than capable of feeding them so let them do their job and just handle the babies so they are used to you.

OP
G

GreenAntics

Aug 31, 2014
okay dokey, i know about handfeeding. i bought the formula. it needs to be 104-106. ect. I just dont want any of them to pass away. but i will leave it to the mother and handle them.. :( how do the babies look?

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
They all look healthy and happy to me. The problem with the formula is if it's heated up in a microwave may take the temperature in a couple spots and they come out right but microwaves create hotspots and thats how you burn the crop. I've done a lot of reading on handfeeding as well but if I ever chose to breed Riley or accidently let her breed (both of which would require me getting another bird and requires it to be a male but thats besides the point) I would let her and her mate feed them as that way I wouldn't have the guilt of something happening to one of the babies because of something I did.

OP
G

GreenAntics

Aug 31, 2014
I would feel more guilty if one of them died because they did not have enough food and i did not hand feed them. i posted new pictures on the second page if anyone see's this, check it out.

OP
G

GreenAntics

Aug 31, 2014
here are the pictures so new people to the post can see them!

Here are the pictures of my babys! I took some pictures well changing the nest box bedding! when should i start feeding them? they are just over 3 weeks now, some more some less. So cute!!! :grey::yellow1::white1::grey:

jQe2n0k.jpg
gwbowuN.jpg

VNpigdb.jpg

8tvtWoc.jpg

dkO8UqS.jpg

the one I was holding really likes me! the rest are scaredy cat's though! haha! <3

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Hand-feeding's not all that difficult, at least with most 'tiels. We have an Ariel too, a whiteface originally thought to be a girl, but is definitely a boy, although he thinks he's an eccy. We also have two pairs of 'tiels from three clutches, and it's a worry that they are attracted to each other (sisters and brothers) when we have "spare" hens & males who take no interest.

OP
G

GreenAntics

Aug 31, 2014
i wont hand feed them, but i hope they dont starve to death is all. you don't have to be rude to me. It's my decision. I have read up lots on handfeeding. and when I "kill"? No, It would be an accidental death. NOT me murdering them. And I'm about to check the nest box and change the bedding in an hour. Lets hope they are all alive.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
A typical clutch is 2-8 eggs and guess what in the wild the parents raise them all the time and the only reasn they wouldn't make it out of the nest is if the parents die or the chick was sick to begin with. The only reason breeders handfeed is to tame them not because all of the sudden the parents stopped knowing how to feed the chicks. Not to mention many breeders aren't handfeeding anymore they let the parents do it and they just handle them a lot.

OP
G

GreenAntics

Aug 31, 2014
i do want the babies to be tame though, What should I do. All the guides I have looked at say to handfeed them if you want tame birds. I have read a book on handfeeding and know all the stuff, like not using a microwave. how to make sure its the right temp, and how to get it there (i.e boiling water. letting it cool, mixing and waiting for it to be the right temp and leave it in more water a bit hoter in-between feeding each bird. and how to feed them around the clock, and to let there crop empty once a day. And all that stuff, ect.

Anyway, I want them to be tame and don't know what to do.

New pictures incoming! check my next post! :D :yellow1:

OP
G

GreenAntics

Aug 31, 2014
Here they are! They are so cute and I love them so much! <3 But they are outgrowing their box and it needs to be changed, but mama birdy might not go into the bigger box if its diffrent? anyway, wala!

roiOky2.jpg

QiL0E6n.jpg

1yrR3pi.jpg

QLwfksx.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
FOLKS! Please don't overstep your boundaries!!!! The poster already said multiple times he's NOT hand feeding. BUT at times there may be reasons for him to have to hand feed regardless if people want him to or not. I took one few weeks ago from my neighbor, he was being parent raised but the parents fed the other siblings but not him. He was slowly withering away and I had to step in to hand feed. Things DOES happen when you must hand feed. You CAN use a microwave to heat the water up prior to mixing, but never with the formula mixed in. Never reuse left over formula, they need to be disposed of!!! Only start hand feeding IF the crop sac is emptied!!! You can easily kill a chick if your not careful on how your hand feeding. That's the reason why all the comments!

Take everything into consideration as most are just trying to give you good advice on what they believe is the right thing to do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts