I just couldn't say no...

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
And so here I am, starting over with another macaw.

My last B&G passed away at the age of 64, just after I retired as rescue director. My house went from 10+ parrots to none in what seemed like overnight. It's been almost a year since I've had a bird in my home and I found myself missing that beautiful exotic smell that filled the air, the cat calls when I walked by and even the mess she'd make when she got ahold of something I wanted to keep. Joey always managed to brighten my day, even when I had the worst day imaginable and when she died, I felt like a part of me died with her. I guess I just hit a point where I couldn't go on without one. I had to at least explore the possibility.

I periodically scanned the ads for several months, mulling the idea over and over in my head if I was truly ready to do this. Joey was such an intricate part of my life and the idea of replacing her made me feel slightly guilty. I met several birds but none really seemed to be a good fit. I didn't want to go the breeder route and I didn't want to buy from a pet store. I wanted to take on one that needed me. I wanted to make a difference somehow. I'd almost given up.

Then I saw it... The ad didn't have much to say about her but something kept drawing me back to it for days on end. 2 weeks later she was still listed, so I decided it was time to go meet her.

I walked in to find her in, essentially, an amazon cage. Her feathers were tattered and ratty and she looked miserable. She was covered in pin feathers and her color was dull and flat. Not at all the glistening sheen B&G's are so well known for. I could tell she was still young, as her eyes hadn't changed color yet The cage hadn't been cleaned in months and I stood there in horror staring at the 5+" of droppings in the bottom pan. I spent 2 hours with her, talking with the lady who owned her and watching the body language of the bird. It didn't take long to realize they'd bitten off more than they could chew and weren't quite prepared for the demands of a large parrot. She was purchased on a whim, without much thought and moreso, just a novelty. She was just a baby. Just shy of 11 months old and hadn't been taught anything. I asked how she was with a bath and they revealed that she'd never had one. They were afraid of her, so they opted not to try to handle her much. Her diet was strictly seed. No pellet. No fruits and vegetables. No cooked human foods. For a treat, it was salted Ritz crackers only, and you could tell she had an abundance of those. Taking food from the hand was the only thing she knew how to do. "What's her name?" I asked. She doesn't have one. They'd never bonded to her enough to even give her the dignity of a name.

I stood there apprehensive. Baby macaws are so much work and then you have the teenage, bratty years. Luckily, I have a clean pallet to work with. She hasn't been alive long enough to develop bad habits. The more I looked at her, the more I just knew the answer. She was the one. She needed me. And I needed her more than anything. I took a deep breath, packed her up in my travel cage and whispered to myself "I can do this" as I walked out the door with her.

I dumped the cage. Just left it there. It was in such bad shape that even an amazon shouldn't be in it, despite the fact that it's sized for one. I went in search of the biggest cage I could find, located an Island cage in like new condition that formerly housed a Greenwing and brought that home. I'm a fan of huge cages anyway, so this one was perfect. We were up until midnight wiping things down and disinfecting. When I finally had everything set up and ready, I put her in it. Confused for a minute, she looked around and realized that her living environment just quadrupled in size. She spread her wings, looked at me and said "HI!". I could tell she was happy.

Now normally, bringing home a new bird means putting them in a quiet room and leaving them to adjust for a few days. She seemed so happy and chatty the next day that I decided to give it a try anyway. For a baby, she is pretty vocal. I've heard Hi, hello, bye bye, and about 5 other phrses out of her in the past week. Working in rescue for so many years, getting bit wasn't something strange to me. I'd been bitten by bigger, meaner parrots than her. I reached in and tried to get her to step up but she didn't understand what I was asking. She doesn't know anything. She had a weird smell to her. Dirty smell. I grab her by her feet and coax her onto my hand gently and into the bath we go.

She didn't know what to make of that at first. This was new and not something she'd ever experienced. But as the water soaked through her feathers and reached her skin, she started moving in closer, letting it run down her head and make it's way past her wings. She sat there for 20 minutes while I tried to preen some of the keratin casings off her head, all the while talking softly to her. I was surprised that she so willingly let me do it. I think the whole experience, while initially frightening, just felt good and she was basking in all the attention that she'd been missing.

After she dried, we sat for over an hour and just preened while she snacked on some apples. So far I haven't seen any aggression out of her. Apprehension, yes, but no aggression. She's growled but hasn't attempted to really bite anyone. I've allowed several people to handle her under caution of "I don't really know this bird so..."

She's been with me Since Thursday now and I've made it a point every day to get her out and show her something new. Getting her to step up is still a challenge. She's not sure of the stability of my arm yet. So that's something I need to work on. And she still has that quiet baby macaw cry. Slowly I've been introducing new foods to her and she's loved everything I've offered so far. She really took to the zupreem and in just the span of a few days, her feathers are already developing that sheen and looking healthier.

She's kind of a loon. She dangles from the top of her cage by 1 talon a lot and is extremely playful. She's not afraid of anything it seems. I open the door and she immediately makes her way to the front looking for scritches. She's vocal and screams whenever you're not in the room with her. I have her in the living room and often leave the tv on when I have to go somewhere so she doesn't feel alone.

I need to name her. If nothing else, she should have a beautiful name to go along with the bird she is. Definitely open to suggestions there. She is a DNA sexed female, so at least I know that for sure.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh! What an incredible story!

I am SO happy you checked out that particular ad, as it truly seems the 2 of you were supposed to meet.

That poor baby lived in atrocious conditions. :( No name? Never had a bath? Lived on seeds and Ritz crackers? WOW - so sad! :( AND in a tiny, filthy cage on top of that.

I have a feeling she will THRIVE in your care in absolutely no time at all.

I know the smell you speak of that you missed after losing your beloved Joey (SO sorry about you losing him!!!). I just LOVE that smell. I literally inhale my birds.

I am sure you will find a GREAT name for your girl. I am horrible at naming my pets, but one did come to mind for your precious girl....

GLORIA. :)

THANK YOU for sharing your story with us!! And again, GREAT to have you on the forum!!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
What a story, Wendy said it all. So very happy that you found her. The name that popped into my head was JOY. Can't wait to hear more and see some pictures.

ZoeynHarley17

Jul 4, 2013
West Orange, NJ
Parrots
I have a beautiful Blue and Gold named Zoey (13) and a Harlequin named Harley (4)
awesome story. reminds me of my blue and gold.

I think her name should have a meaning.
she saved you as much as you saved her

what about Renne- it means to be reborn nickname Renny
or even chance- you guys gave eachother a second chance
Anastasia also means to be given a second chance or to go through a rebirth
Phoenix- reborn from ashes.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Wow what a sweet story. I'm so glad you found her, she seems so happy! :) I thought of some names Jules or Lilo, Jules seemed like a more fancy lady like name and Lilo seemed like a fun surf type of name!

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Maybe a name that means 'liberated'?

Najya
Mukta
Figora
Sebu
Seri

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like you found a wonderful new companion!!!! And she must be so happy to have been given a mansion to live in!!!!

Reading her story, the only name that comes to mind is "Sapphira", which means 'sapphire' or 'lapis lazuli'. (Saphira, spelled with one "p", is also a name from the Eragon series, but I didn't think of that until after reading about this girl and thinking of the name... and dragons are supposed to be regal creatures and dragon scales do shine... so if she were mine, that would be her name without a doubt! :D )

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Thankyou so much for sharing your story [and how neat your other Macaw had a long life!!) Sometimes I think the real rescue is ads like this [for my area it would be craigslist]. Names are hard ! Great ones suggested though [I liked Jules] .Let us know what you decide.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Great Story! Thanks for helping this angel out. I like names, like, "Kabuki", "Midori", "Calliope", "Curacao", "Jinjay" or "Zazoo".

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
What a great story! Thanks for sharing.....You write like a writer....

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
I really enjoyed reading your post. I hope you have many long happy years together. :)

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Amazing story! So glad you took this baby in and are providing her with the best:). She's lucky you found her. Sorry to hear you lost Joey, but it seems she had a very long life. I can't wait to hear more about your new girl and see pictures!

Sarbear

Aug 7, 2013
Parrots
Blue my IRN, Peaches my Lovebird, Tilly & Max my breeder cockatiels, Bell & Benji my baby cockatiels and Mario, Luigi, Lemon, Lady, Cho Cho, Fritz, Cheeky & Daisy my budgies
What a beautiful story, I seriously had tears in my eyes !

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Wonderful story. You came into each others lives when you both really needed each other. I am so happy you found each other!! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more!

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
First off, with your writing ability you need to be writing books! Your story of deplorable conditions vividly reminds me of the home my B&G Kayko came from. For seven years he lived an extremely lonely existence in the back room of a house with no one paying attention to him. Your girl has nothing but the finest to look forward to. Thank you for your beautiful story. I would name her "Annie"

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
It's an awesome, and sad story. It's sad she lived like that, but awesome and amazing the you found her and she is already doing so well. My Camilla "Phoenix" is my rescue, and he was/is the same way though he is doing better.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I also like the name Joy - given her story, and the connection to your last love, Joey, it sounds perfect to me!

Pineapple

Aug 7, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Pineapple green cheek conure
I loved reading this story,

What about the name Miracle?

Sounds like you were her Miracle and she was yours :)

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
I like the name Narla. That's what I would name a female macaw if I had one. Then again my pets usually go without names for ages as I can never make my mind up. And then I end up changing my mind a week later.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back