I just HAD to share this....

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
So 2 weeks ago, my spouse and I went out on a date, YEP! A real DATE! ;) Hahaha...

And here's the story:

We were walking to our car when I looked down and saw a very nice feather, I stopped, picked it up and we both examined it. I said, I think it's pigeon...hmmm....we walk a little further and found another feather just like the one I'd found, we picked it up, looked ahead and saw a cluster of smaller down type feathers. We picked up a few, and with the amount of feathers there were we thought hmm...some poor pigeon is hurt or lost it's life. :(

We decided to have lunch at Azteca Restaurant before heading for home. Lunch was delicious, it was a beautiful day, we walked out the door and wouldn't you know it, there was a pigeon sitting against the curb in the sun. I said, "awwww...it looks like it's setting on an egg." Didn't appear to be interested in moving at all. I said to my spouse, "I wonder if that's the pigeon we found the feathers to?" We stood and watched as some people walked into the restaurant, the pigeon didn't move.

I again said..."awwww...(subconsciously I was committed.)

Then 2 more women walked right by this pigeon, pigeon didn't move and I said to my spouse, "I think it's hurt."

Then a family of 5 walked by, they glanced at the pigeon against the curb and one kid said..."awwww" and walked into the restaurant, and then a woman walked around the corner and nearly KICKED the pigeon, just flat out didn't see it at all! That's the first we saw the pigeon move...she sort of scurried backwards trying to get out of the way and melt into the curb.

I exclaimed..."MY GOSH! Did you see that! I could totally catch that pigeon, I want to catch it!" And looked up at a group of men walking into the restaurant that gave me the goofiest look. hahahaha! My husband, mind you...isn't saying anything...he's not encouraging me or discouraging me...he's just standing there amused by everyone elses reactions at my out right obvious concern for this pigeon. And then we saw her try to walk and that was the clincher for me...every step she tried to take was clear agony, I'd never seen a bird limp until that day. Another person walked right by her and she tried to fly but couldn't get any lift and that was it.

I looked at my husband and I said..."I can't do it, I can't just walk away and leave her to die, I have to catch her." And my husband, bless his heart says. "I know dear."

So we walked back to the car and he grabbed a shirt for me to catch her with and we had a tote bag, we figured we could put her in to keep her contained until we got her home.

We both walked back over to this pigeon, a few more people walked into the restaurant, I waited for them to go inside, looked around...no one was coming, so I tossed the shirt on her, picked her up and took her to the car.

Suddenly my husband is concerned about how much trouble I'm clearly going to get into stealing this pigeon from the big city...and says out loud "We're animal rescue, it's okay" and we jumped in the car, I arrange the pigeon in my lap and we crack up laughing at how many laws we probably broke just then. I tried to examine her without stressing her out tooo much and found she only had 2 tail feathers! Other than that, nothing was broken, no blood, just sore with some missing feathers.

Well this pigeon, bless it's heart seemed sooo grateful! She snuggled down into the shirt and I kept her mostly covered as well, mostly to discourage her from flying and can you believe this pigeon fell sound asleep!

It was an hour and a half drive home and the ONLY time this pigeon moved was to go potty, then she snuggled back down into the shirt.

On the way home, I realized I didn't know what pigeons eat, so I told my hubby that we need to stop at the feed store so I can get pigeon food. Aaannnd...we just so happened to have an empty huge parrot cage at home from the two tiels I took in from someone who didn't want them that would make the perfect "hospital" for this dear pigeon.

We go home, I put her in the cage, shirt and all, filled food and water and hoped for the best.

The next morning, she was still alive and seemed to be doing good, she ate, drank and gimped around the bottom of the cage, I took out the shirt, and gave her an old towel to lay on, she got right on it too! Oh, and I decided her name would be Belle. :D

By day 4 Belle was walking around much better, eating, appeared very healthy. I talked to her all the time and decided to catch her and held her for a few minutes telling her what a good girl she was. By day 5, she'd make peeping sounds when I'd talk to her..."Hiiiii Belle, such a pretty girl"

I read that they like to perch on bricks, so I rounded up some bricks and put them in her cage, she peeped at me several times and jumped right up on them.

(each day I took her out for a few minutes to scritch and handle her)

By day 6 she was hover flying in the cage and on day 10, I let her out to fly in the house and she was FABULOUS! She didn't go all crazy like I 1/2 expected, she just hovered around and landed on a lamp shade.

She would fly off when I'd go to catch her to put her away, and it took quite a few attempts before I finally got her. However, day 11 and 12 didn't take nearly as long and I couldn't believe it yesterday, day 13...when I went to get her to put her away, she didn't fly off, she just clambered up on my hand and waited.

Today is day 14 with Belle, I noticed her missing tail feathers are just starting to grow in, I let her out every day for some fly time and she loves to perch on the lamp above the computer table, where she watches my every move. Belle is so relaxed, confident, healthy and happy and I have to say, very grateful! And smart! Pigeons are very smart!

I actually don't know for sure if Belle IS a girl...but I suppose one day if she lays an egg I'll know...or if she starts pecking at me, it means she could be a male because apparently males peck when courting. Either way, I don't care, she's just a joy to have.

I would have never known the joy of a pigeon had I turned my back and walked away. And Belle may have never experienced the luxury of domestication had she not got hurt. I have to say, she's quite content indeed!

Toni

Last edited:

jetajockey

Sep 30, 2011
Great story. And a beautiful bird! I've rescued a few birds over the years, we have large glass windows at my work facing the flight line, and from time to time the birds will hit it going full speed. Thanks for posting this, it's really heartwarming.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
thank you an yes we had rescued pigeon, when i was a kid an they kinda become very tame, very quickly

we let ours go when it was all healed

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Aw, she is just beautiful, I'm so glad you gave her a second chance, I'm sure she would have been doomed had you left her on the curbside. Not too many people like pigeons and I could very well imagine someone doing something nasty to her :(
Are you planning on keeping her permanently? It seems like it would be a good idea now that she's so tame. I had a ring neck dove that was absolutely wonderful, they are also great birds to practice free flight training with. One thing to keep in mind is that they like flat perches so things like wood blocks with wing nuts make great aerial perches. Those "chin chiller" blocks work really well too but they are kind of pricey compared to just making your own. The bricks will work fine for the bottom of the cage but eventually you will want some perching platforms at the top as well :)

Oh, and another good way to determine the sex is if he/she starts cooing as females don't coo. Males will also bow their heads and drag their tails on the ground. Either way, good luck with him/her! Thank you for sharing your story, I loved the part where your hubby said you guys were animal control lmao.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
That is so great that you saved her. I'm not really sure if you would get in trouble for that or not. I wouldn't think anyone would be that heartless to make a fuss about it.
After the latest storm, someone brought me a dove baby that had blown out of a tree and someone else found a lovebird that I took in. Unfortunately they both died within one day, but I tried.
A friend also tried to save 2 baby squirrels that didn't make it either.
I could never turn my back on them, and I don't know what the laws are where you live, but I know the animal control guys around here, and they don't seem to think it's a big deal.
I wouldn't consider it "stealing from the city". It's not like you were climbing trees with a net or anything. You were trying to help an injured little critter.
I'm so glad you did it, though, and she is so cute. Enjoy her. I'm sure she's in love with you now. Animals know when you save them.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I could never turn my back on them, and I don't know what the laws are where you live, but I know the animal control guys around here, and they don't seem to think it's a big deal.
I wouldn't consider it "stealing from the city". It's not like you were climbing trees with a net or anything. You were trying to help an injured little critter.

I guess it all depends on where you live but I know here, in PA, it is illegal to posses an indigenous wild species, even if you are rehabbing it, you have to be a licensed rehab facility :( I don't really see her getting into any trouble though because you can buy pigeons practically anywhere, all she would have to do is say that she bought it at a farmers market or something.

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
Very good story. Thank you for helping this pigeon. The only thing I might say is to be cautious with your other birds after handling her, or having them interact. Wash your hands, etc. Often, wild birds have parasites, or carry diseases, that can infect our fids. I don't want to alarm you, but, it can happen. It may not. I rescue birds, both pets & wild, and keep them separated when I have wild birds in my care. Nothing has ever happened. I'm only aware that it can. Better safe than sorry.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
What a great story. That really made my day, Thank you. If only more peolpe were like you and your husband :)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thats such a great story, shes so lucky to have you :)!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Awww! How sweet of you to take care of her! How are your rescue tiels doing?

Kawaii

Sep 14, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
So damn cute & learning fast!!
Nakiska said:
"MY GOSH! Did you see that! I could totally catch that pigeon, I want to catch it!"

I just have to say, that is so awesome! I've seen little boys actually kick and throw rocks at the pigeons in a Walmart parking lot.
pen-3.gif

However, I never knew pigeons could be so smart or… tame?
I find that fascinating, and the story was great and I truly enjoyed it.
Thank you, and once again, you and your husband are awesome!

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
What a great way to end a date. I totally think that would have ranked the date way high up on my best dates list. Plus ur husband SOOO earned a ton of husband points. lol Bella is beautiful! I'm so happy for you both having been there at just the right time to make such a difference in Bellas little life. Now i want a pidgeon. I have fostered lots of injured birds over the years many indigenous wild species, sparrows, nut hatches, swallows and so many more but never a pidgeon! Lucky!

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Thanks everyone for reading my long post. When I was typing it up, my daughter said...Mom, do you SERIOUSLY think people are going to read this? I looked at her, smiled and said...well...dear...yes...SOMEONE will enjoy reading it. :) So glad ya'll backed me up! LOLOL

Anyway, Belle is doing INCREDIBLE!

For those who posted their concerns about exposing her to our other birds...no worries. She's quarantined, and I handle her last and always wash up and even change clothes before handling our other birds. Belle shows absolutely no signs of having mites, lice or any other parasites feral birds could get. Her tail feathers are just starting to grow in, they are so cute. When I open her cage door, she calmly walks out looks around and flies to her favorite lamp shade. When I go to get her now, she just waits for me instead of flying off. In her cage, she totally sits there when I reach in to give her extra scritches before bed, she really seems to enjoy them.

This morning, I had her out for a while and she just melted my heart when she'd follow me to each room I went into! The 2 tiels I rescued haven't tamed down this much, not even close!

Until Belle, I didn't know pigeons were so smart and amazing either.

For those who asked if I'm going to keep her...well, yes I am. I wasn't going to initially, but we've really bonded in 2 weeks and frankly, I don't think she'd survive long on her own. Apparently with pigeons, when you turn them loose, you need to do what's called a soft release, and that is keeping her outside around a flock of pigeons and then after several days, letting her go with them. Our problem is, we live in the country, practically the mountains...we have no flocks of pigeons here.

However, today we had a very close call...I mean, if Belle wanted to leave, she had the perfect opportunity when the neighbor boy came over and left the door wide open for several minutes! I walked out of the bathroom and saw the door, gasped and said...OH NO! Belle!! And then I saw her sitting on her favorite spot, preening away. It was a total straight shot out the wide open door. I would have been devastated! She really is so very content.

RioMom The two tiels I rescued are doing very very well! I clipped them and moved them to a smaller cage so I could start taming them down. I named the boy Charlie and the girl is Sweet Pea and they now get to come out with our other tiels for their walkabout time. Charlie is starting to talk and whistle "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" It's soo funny! I found out they are 3 years old.

I'll post some pictures of them in the tiel forum.

Have a great day everyone and thanks again for reading about my pigeon rescue. I'll keep everyone posted. :D

Toni

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
Oh, and as for my husband...YES! He's a keeper! I crack up when I replay Belle's rescue in my head....how my husband so patiently waits for me to confirm out loud what he already knew the second we saw the pigeon. "I can't just leave her...."

"I know dear" I have to admit, those 3 words, make me melt :D We were definitely meant to be.

Toni

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
Just a quick Belle progress report:

I have to say I'm totally, undisputably, completely in love with her! Pigeons are truly amazing!

She's progressing at light speed and it's so much fun! I showed her one time about the perches above her, (pigeons are more ground birds) and the upper door on her cage, she now meets me up there on that perch, if she's on the the bottom of her cage, she'll fly up on it, jumps onto my hand and out the cage she comes.

Yesterday, for the first time, she flew and landed on my shoulder while I was doing the dishes...she only stayed for a moment, but I was so excited that she DID it! Today, she landed on my head for a moment, then resumed her "watching me spot" on top of the fridge.

She absolutely loves my company, even if it's just to be in the same room with me. Today is 18 days that we've had her and I am blown away with her.

Don't get me wrong, I love love LOVE our tiels and conure and they get just as much attention as before Belle, but the difference is like having...a...ummm...say a jack russell terrier and a big ole lazy yellow/black lab. Belle being the lab, the conure being the JRT. Hahahahaha!

I wonder if pigeons in general are calm natured, or if I just got super lucky with Belle...or maybe I'm a pigeon whisperer! ROFLOL!!

Well, I gotta get back to work.

Take care all!

Toni

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
I've had similar experiences with ducks, pigeons, etc.

What a selfless thing to do.
The world needs more caring people like yourself.
I'll bet you don't regret it at all.

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
Great story! Glad you're keeping her. Pigeons are a lot smarter than most people think. I knew a guy who was in Army Signal Corps, and raised and flew their messenger pigeons. Then raised pigeons on his own afterward. He opened my eyes to their beauty and character. In cities, many people consider them "rats with wings" :mad: We know better. Enjoy your little beauty.

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
Thanks everyone for reading all this and your wonderful supportive comments.

Today is day 22 with Belle. I just read my original post and the questions I was asking, is it fair? Will she ever tame down enough to perch on my hand, will she ever WANT to spend time with me and enjoy my company?

Belle has answered every one of my questions and squashed ALL doubts I had about keeping her.

Tonight, while doing the dishes, she flew into the kitchen and landed on my shoulder and stayed with me the entire time, watching over my shoulder, looking into my eyes, listening to me talk to her, she preened my hair (best she could) and had no desire to leave. She snuggled up to my cheek and I rubbed my cheek against her side.

When cooking dinner, she watches me from the refrigerator and I usually give her some treats there too. The more I try to ignore her, the more she works at getting my attention. Like now...I'm on the computer, she just flew down to sit on the chair next to me, and she gets closer closer and then...here's Belle, in my lap or on my shoulder or on the back of my chair.

She is always bright eyed and bushy tailed...meaning she is just so happy and content. I sure have no guilt what so ever about keeping her.

The other night, I was putting her to bed and just when I was going to put her in her cage, she ran up my arm and snuggled into my chest for a cuddle...my son saw this, he also saw the tears of love and joy well in my eyes.

Love just seems like it's not a big enough word to describe the feelings I hold for My Belle and to know she feels the same for me....awww....I'm not ashamed to say it...she melts me. Yes...a pigeon

Toni

Most Reactions