I made a coconut toy

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Gus has a laid back beak for a macaw. He loves to tear paper, but sometimes he has to really work at it. He had a nice wooden stick toy that he didn't chew because it was poplar. So it was replaced with pine. Still didn't chew, but banged it against the bars.

I bought a coconut and cracked it in half - he won't eat the fresh coconut, so I will - and used it to hang some thinner pine pieces on leather cords. There is also a wood knob inside to act as a kind of clapper in case he wants to make noise with it. I used veg-tanned undyed calf strips for the leather. I hung it in the cage ... Maybe he will play with it, better yet chew it? Stainless steel bells are due in tomorrow along with plastic chains, so I will keep trying to find something he likes. It's just he is so weak, he neck muscles, his beak, so he doesn't chew the normal macaw things. Any advice gratefully received...

kentuckienne-albums-assorted-picture17340-toy-1.jpg

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
That's a great toy for a guy with a less aggressive beak! I bet Gus will love it!

Poppy prefers soft pine to any other wood, she also loves paper. Here's one of her newest favorites.

Both of these are from Drs Foster and Smith but the ideas are easily adaptable to DIY. The last one is soft pine with holes drilled, you could easily use safe leather rather than the soft cotton in the photo.

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
That's a great toy for a guy with a less aggressive beak! I bet Gus will love it!

Poppy prefers soft pine to any other wood, she also loves paper. Here's one of her newest favorites.
Both of these are from Drs Foster and Smith but the ideas are easily adaptable to DIY. The last one is soft pine with holes drilled, you could easily use safe leather rather than the soft cotton in the photo.

What is that, sponges between pieces of paper on the top? That looks great!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Marileen has dyn-o-mite recipes for DIY perches, boings, etc.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

What is that, sponges between pieces of paper on the top? That looks great!

It's thin pieces of colored wood (you can use untreated pine trim strips) alternated with brown paper (thick brown butchers paper works nicely) the paper is about the thickness of poster board. The pieces are strung on sisal rope, then the rope is tied in a loop to make a donut.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
For the pine, use a food coloring, alcohol mix. You can also use balsa wood! Hobby Lobby carries it. With their 40% coupon, it's a good price!

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Remodeled the coconut. I took off the quick links so as to not catch beak or feet. Added a safe stainless steel bell. Everything is strung on strips of veg-tanned leather, short enough not to get wrapped around a neck. So far it has been ignored.

I have lots of heavy kraft paper and cardstock because of my work..and I just remembered there is a veneer factory near our favorite brew pub, so I will talk to them about buying scraps of safe woods. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17353-toy-1.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts