I need help!

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Hi I am a little panicked right now. Last night had a mishap. Put some food in a plastic bowl in the microwave and left it there for too long by accudent. The bowl melted and the food burned. Our eclectus smelled this for all of a minute or 2. When I removed him to our 3 season room with us for a few hours. I ran an air purifier non stop, had windows open as long as possible. There was still a little smell last night. Is this dangerous for him?

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
I forgot, no smoke at all! Just a bad smell.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Plastics that offgas do not necessarily smoke when they melt, but will usually smoke when they burn and unless you know what kind of plastic it is & what chemicals were used to manufacture it, you really won't know of any potential harm or future harm.....

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
He's been acting fine. Would the I see an effect immediately or could it take a while???

SolarCat

May 6, 2013
PA USA
Parrots
Sunshine (Pineapple Green Cheek Conure)
I think something like this, the biggest impact would be in the short term, so if he seems fine he probably will be fine.
That said, you probably want to keep a very close eye on him, AND the air purifier running in the kitchen, just to be sure. Just because it won't kill him doesn't mean that it's healthy. Think of it sort of like second hand cigarette smoke, it won't kill you instantly when you come in contact with it, but do you really want to inhale it?

Microwaves tend to bring out the worst scents in anything, though, when overcooking... About a month ago (before Sunshine found her way into my home) I tried to thaw a frozen whole grain roll and put the timer on for a bit longer than I should have. All this horrific smelly awful yellow smoke came out of the microwave when I opened it, and it still stinks when I open the microwave door to this day! I'll confess it has made me wonder what in the world is in whole grain and do I really want to keep eating it?!? :eek:

Or, in short - It's just better to be safe than sorry. I'd keep the ventilation going, and do what you can to get the smell out for both you and your eclectus. (And I do still eat whole grain bread, in case you were wondering).

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Haha! Thanks Solarcat. The smell is pretty much gone now thanks to the air purifier and open windows. I brought my microwave outside with 2 cups of pure vinegar outside and have been running it to get the odor out! Still stinks but it's getting better with the vinegar cooking.

Most Reactions

Latest posts