Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
How is the screaming, Ben (Eddies, not yours:))

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Screaming has not been too bad. Having said this he has been with me for most of the time. If I am home studying, he is generally in his smaller cage either with me or on the veranda. He still gets his regular out time/training. He will still scream while in his main cage if there are people around, so the problem is still there. Last day or two, he has also been a bit noisy even in his smaller cage. I am worried that he is getting frustrated because even though he is next to me, he can't get to me :(. Its almost like putting a piece of glass between a toddler and a lolly-pop, which would be very upsetting.

I decided to experiment with actually letting him sit on top of his cage while in my study yesterday. Surprisingly he didn't get aggressive at all, he just got into all the usual mischief. I won't allow him on the desk as this is usually what triggers aggressive behaviour. Only places I allow him are on his cage, curtain rail and on top of the cupboard.

Linky, a second opinion is not a bad suggestion and I may go and get one. I will see if this iodine solution helps at all first(results won't be instant obviously).

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
screaming has gotten bad again, even in his new cage. I had a suspicion that it would only be a temporary solution for screaming. This is so frustrating, I can't hear my self think :(

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh Ben =[

What's the situation with the vet now? What other tests are being run?

Thinking of you 2 as always.

Janf

Dec 16, 2010
Yellowknife, NT
Parrots
Kiwi, a Senegal parrot born around march 2009.
I didn't read all the pages in this thread, just the first and the last pages. And I'm the first to say that I'm new at birds and I'm quite sure that Ben (and lots of other people) know more than me.

Still, our Senegal screams much less now than she did when we first got her, so maybe there's something we're doing that might help.

The biggest thing I've noticed with Kiwi's screaming is that she screams more when I go out of sight and stops when she hears me coming back. I know that's different from your experiences, so not much help, but I remember reading somewhere that birds sometimes scream to find out where the others in their flock are. So when Kiwi screams and I can't go back to her visual range right away, I try to talk to her so she knows where I am. Sometimes she keeps screaming anyway, but many times when I talk to her she calms down and I can hear her making happy noises. When she makes quieter noises, I try to praise her and reinforce the happy/quieter noises.

We rarely close her in her cage. I know that's not a solution for some people. We own our house and have accepted minor forms of pet damage (the dog does much more damage on a bad day than the bird does). Kiwi's wings are clipped so she can't go too far. Even when we're not home, we leave her cage open because she seems much happier having the choice to come and go within her cage. 95% of the time she's on her cage when we get home. If she's not, she's most likely on the wine rack about 5 feet away (we gave up on using it for wine) or (very rarely) in the next room over. If she's in the next room, she'll be on one of the sofas. I used to be nervous about leaving her cage open when we went out but we've never had a problem. (It was my husband who preferred it open - I had to work myself up to it starting with short outings.)

In any case, I think she appreciates some sense of freedom. She's happy to go in her cage at bedtime and we cover it overnight. If she's closed in her cage during the day, I get a frustrated vibe from her - like she can't wait to get out, even though she just goes on top and stays there.

In most rooms of our house, there is somewhere she can hang out where she has us in visual range. This doesn't mean she never screams, but she definitely screams more when she can't see us. I guess that's normal flock behaviour, unlike your issue where the bird screams more when you're there.

If Kiwi gets too lonely or agitated, she jumps off wherever she is and flutter/glides as close to us as she can get, then walks the rest of the way and climbs up until she's with us. We give her some attention and reassurance, then put her back on her perch. If she's still lonely or agitated, she'll do it again and we'll repeat the cycle. I think if she was in a cage and feeling the same way, that's when she'd scream since she couldn't get to us for contact/reassurance.

I think birds would like a sense of security and control over their environments, but I don't know enough about bird psychology to know if that's the case. It just seems like most animals like these things.

Do parrots like music? I got a CD for my dog for Christmas (why not?) that is supposed to be scientifically designed to calm nervous dogs. Is there such a thing for birds?

I thought about putting our fish tank somewhere the parrot can watch it like TV, but honestly she doesn't seem to care about the fish. I guess she's finding other things in life entertaining enough.

I noticed there aren't any posts on this thread for the last 6 weeks or so. I hope that's not a bad sign. And I hope maybe something I've said is helpful, even if it just gives you an idea for something else to try.

Jan

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Hi all, long time no post...again hehe ;), SO busy lately I just can't believe it.

Jan, thanks for sharing :)

Good news is, things have started to improve (not perfect yet). I still find myself holding my pillow over my head occasionally, but its definitely improving. I have been fiddling around with bed times, diets, toys, out time etc. He is still very noisy, but he is starting to move towards what would be considered a normal noise level. I have also been figuring out the triggers that make him scream and have found many. For example, there is a door on the other sider of the room, if this is not shut, he starts screaming. If the dog sniffs around the cage (she's a small dog ;)) he screams etc etc. I try to communicate with him as much as I can, whistling back and fourth when I can't be near him.

Jan, I think parrots can enjoy music. I find Eddie screams a little less if I play him the radio during the day. I have also played bird songs for him........and also the wiggles hehe ;).

Eddie is still on his Iodine supplement, but have seen little improvements. I want to add a full spectrum light to his room, to give him extra sunlight. Maybe this will help feather colours. The feathering hasn't got worse, mostly just stayed the same.

Anyway, I'll sit down and write more when I have some time. Merry christmas to you all! :D

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi Ben,

I have read this whole thread through a few time & it has really got my attention. I am wondering if you have ever read Jim McKendry's blog on his Enrichment Aviary he was building. I am a great believer in housing my Eclectus in this manner, and have done so for many years now. I find i have better behaved birds that don't have screaming issues. They get a good amount of indirect & direct sunlight each day, as well as rainfall which they go nuts over. Have a look at the below link.

.:parrot Behaviour & Enrichment Consultations:.

The difference i have noticed with a pair of my young Eclectus kept in an outdoor enrichment aviary & a friends pair of the same age that were indoor pets. My pair had beautiful feathers, shiny beaks & just looked so healthy. My friends pair although healthy didn't have that outdoor healthy appearance. Their beaks & feathers lack lustre. Because they had clipped wings they were both smaller than my 2 even though they were purchased from the same breeder. My friends pair are related to my pair but our pairs are unrelated.

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thankyou for that great link Pedro, it is full of great info. For a long time I have wanted to build an enrichment aviary. It really came down to money, space and climate. I don't think I could house him outside permanently because being in the southern part of Oz we get quite cold weather (3*C at night) and also very hot weather (40*C+ during day). I asked my AV about permanent outside housing and he doesn't recommend it at all. I would have to build a full proper aviary with an indoor section for warmth/shade like the breeders do. If I could afford to build an enrichment aviary I would, so that he could at least spend time in there on nice days. We did resort to sealing of the back veranda (which is large) so he could fly around out there. He really loves going out there, but unfortunately, it doesn't give him much extra sunlight. He spends most off his out time under the veranda, getting into mischief hehe.

I know what you mean about aviary birds looking so much healthier. When I went to the breeder to pick up Eddie, I had never seen such beautiful eclectus. Their plumage was so perfect in every way it was almost unreal!

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Hi Ben! I am glad to hear things are improving.:)

I found that building an outdoor cage are much more expensive than buying an already made one. The power of the sun is absolutely incredible. :D

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Hi Ben! I am glad to hear things are improving.:)

Thanks Linky

Yes thing have definately been improving. I probably undersold how much better things have been. I can hear myself think again and I am now enjoying Eddies company more, instead of stressing out about his screaming. He does get worked up once in a while but hey, he is a parrot after all. He has been astonishingly good in comparison though. For example, the last two days have seen me out of the house for most of the day, but he has been quiet as a mouse. I just make sure I give him attention in the mornings and evenings, ensure he has some fun activities to do while I'm out and leave the radio going. When I am home during the day, he gets loads more out time under the veranda or on the couch with me :).

I found that building an outdoor cage are much more expensive than buying an already made one.

Lol, figured out this one a while ago ;). Actually went and saw some aviary builders some months ago. They said they could custom build me what I want for somewhere between $600-800, which is a great price...... if I had the cash handy. Only problem i had with their technique is they only use vinegar wash galvanized wire, which gets me worried. I may be able to convince them to use stainless for a little extra $$.

btw, when I say they can build me what I want, I mean something that 'will do'. What I really want is a walk through garden for my fids with grass, small trees, plants and shallow bathing pools.....lol I'll just keep dreaming.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Ben all my aviaries are built from galvanized steel & wire scrubbed down with vinegar. Not a single problem with any bird getting heavy metal poisoning in the 20 or so years they have been built. I worry more about the patio cages, I am yet to buy one that doesn't rust out in a couple of years. So value for money i would certainly invest $600 in a custom built aviary than the same value or more for a patio cage. But yes i do understand your cash flow.

Having an enrichment cage outdoors is a great idea for when the weather is not to bad. If the winters are to harsh a sleep cage indoors is the way go. All my friends that own eclectus have a huge outdoor cage for the day time & a night time cage for them indoors to sleep at night. It's ideal for them as summer is a stinker & not a good idea to have the birds indoor all day. To help with the heat of the day a watering system on a timer helps to keep the birds cool.

Have also been thinking about Eddie screeming. I wonder if it's got something to do with being an adult. I know with mine just before mating the males are extremely noisy, they settle down when the hens start to lay & incubate the eggs. but when the chicks start to hatch off they go again. My birds are not noisy as such as it's a problem. But sometimes it does drive me nuts when the 3 males decide to call each other & all the young chip in as well. I think the ear muffs are a good idea. LOL.

A friend of mine has a habitat for his birds, with pond & greenery but he keeps non destrutcive parrots & finches. Very nice but a lot of upkeep to keep it looking lovely. But i think we all dream of an aviary like that. Actually i have been nagging my hubby to build a huge flight to house all the Eclectus but so far it's falling on deaf ears.

Most Reactions

Latest posts