I rescued an Amazon, now what

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Hi

Thanks for reading. We just adopted 2 parrots from a sanctuary here.
1 is a double yellow head amazon and the 2ncd is an African brown headed parrot.

The Amazon(Bosley) is 35 and we expected it would take some time for him to get comfortable. Well he has taken to me quite nicely, we have had him for 2 weeks now. He comes down off his cage and eats with me, cuddles and gets head scritches and sits on my leg. He wont step up and is terrified of a stick.

The problem is with my husband, Bosley will take treats from him but lunges at him any other time. If my husband is home Bosley screams MOM if I go out of the room. He does not do this when my husband is out.

We were told the owner passed away and the son took the bird and Bosley tried to bite him. It seems though that Bosley may not of been treated very well by men, he acts terrified around them.

I have read lots on this forum and other sites before adopting, but any further information is appreciated. We are committed to him and so love him.

The Brown headed Parrot is a sweetie and she prefers my husband.

Thanks

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
well, he may been hurt by man, and also it may be a jealous thing to. he may think he is trying to protect you from him. what u in your husband needs to do is, when ur not home he needs to go in there everyday that your not there in gain his trust. talk to him, find his Favorite treat. do that every day.. it may take months. some bird may never get over the fear of man you may have to accept that as well.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Gratz on bringing them both home!

You may want to consider training some tricks to Bosley, and once he had them down pat, have your husband cue the tricks and work with Bosley? Positive experiences between the two may lead to a better relationship between them.

You may also try cuing Bosley to step from you to your husband and back for rewards.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Congrats to you on your new additions:)

You may find that Bosley will never take to your Husband.. My Zon Codie is exactly the same and I have had her from a Baby.. She will only tolerate me and seems to have a great dislike of Men in general!

We would love to see some pics.

OP
SandyBee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
My husband works from home and spends more time and gives him more treats than I do. Bosley sometimes takes them, sometimes rushes the cage or lunges to nip if he is out of cage.

When I am at work, Bosley just seems to wait for me to get home.
As soon as I come home I get greeted with with amazon calls, monkeying around and he can't get to me quick enough LOL.

Things were going well last night, Bosley on my lap, went and crawled over me to explore my husband ( Bos loves exploring with his mouth) gently took his hand at first then a big bite like he got spooked and fluttered down to the floor.

Hubby's hand was not too bad and we knew what the risk were, hand was positioned so it wouldn't do too much damage.
Still trying to figure out treats Bos likes, seems he can take or leave most things. He's not a fruit and veggie guy, we keep trying LOL
He enjoys dinner with me so I sneak in as much veggies as I can.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions.
I'll get pic's up soon!!

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
try pine nuts.. i know a lot of macaws like them. not to sure about amazons...but you cantry that as a treat

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome and congratulations to your 2 new family members. :)

Yes, Amazons DO love pine nuts - both of mine take them with gusto.

For treats you could also try: tiny pieces of apple, carrots, piece of Ritz cracker or Graham cracker, Lafeber Nutriberries, blueberries, etc. You'll soon learn which ones Bos will like the most.

I salute your husband for his continued efforts. :)

OP
SandyBee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Thanks I'll try pine nuts. He doesn't want any fruit at all but I have had some luck with Vegetables. Cashews are a hit.

Last edited:

Most Reactions