I think its time!!

skittles9

Nov 24, 2012
utah
Parrots
2 parakeets
My parakeets have shown all the signs of mating like soft chirps and they rub their heads together also swerve and bob their head and etc. but they have not mated!! what should i do they have all the materials to like a mating home and bits of paper and newspaper in there to make a nest. What should i do think they are ready to mate but they aren't help please!! :blue2::greenyellow::confused:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
how exciting that they are thinking about future babies....please use proper nesting material,ie..aspen shavings, fresh care bedding, etc...

I had a terrible experience with one of my pairs of lovebirds. they were nesting with just newspaper that she had shredded into a zillion pieces. she was a good mom, but over the days after the chicks had hatched, I noticed she was not in the nesting box as much.

to my shock when I peaked in, the newspaper had caked so hard on to the tops of the babies heads, and beaks they were barely alive. It took my daughter and I over half an hour to remove the hardened newspaper(there were 4 babies)

the youngest baby who was just 6 days old, was completely covered all over her head and her beak,cere, and one nostril. she was just barely breathing thru one nostil....we got to her in time, and we named her Halo, a beautiful sweet very loving lovebird. we still have her as a pet.
they all survived and did wonderfully!...I no longer provide newspaper for nesting material.

Last edited:

Most Reactions